Chapter 1 - The Breakdown

✩ What Goes Around, Comes Around

 

"Eun Ji, saranghae~" He whispered to me, as he wrapped his arms around me. His breathing against my ear sent shivers down my spine, but I still didn't find any motivation to say it back. I remained indifferent.

Jiyong let go of me and looked at me, confused. "What's wrong?"

I looked away. I couldn't seem to face him, especially since what I was about to tell him wasn't something pleasant. I took a step back away from him, and spoke, almost inaudibly.

"Ji.. I want to break up. I don't feel happy."

Jiyong's expression of confusion faded away. He didn't know what to feel. "Wh-what are you talking about?"

"I don't know..." I rubbed my arms uncomfortably. It was pretty awkward breaking up with someone I've been with for so long. "I'm just not happy."

"What's that supposed to mean? Are you sure you're not just sick?" He placed the back of his hand on my forehead.

I pushed his hand away. "I'm sorry, Ji... I think it's time to just break up."

I didn't want to speak anymore about it, so I simply walked away. I know I should have given him a better explanation as to why we're over, but I just couldn't. I was just tired.


I​knew I should've gave it time before I broke up with him like that a month ago. What was I thinking? I shouldn't have ever acted on impulse, and now this is where it got me. I'm an emotional wreck, and the worst part is that Jiyong doesn't care.

I mean, sure, it's partly my fault. I shouldn't have treated him the way I did two weeks before...


"Ji.. why are you calling me?" That was the first thing I asked when I picked up my phone and seeing his name on my caller ID. I was surprised.

"Baby.." His voice was low and I could hear a feeling of hurt in it. "Don't do this to me, please.."

I opened my mouth to say something, but closed it again. I didn't know what to say anymore, so I remained quiet.

Jiyong continued begging on the other line. "Please, Eun Ji, don't do this. I love you. I'll make you happy again. I'll do anything. Anything!"

I shook my head, disgusted that Jiyong was practically pleading to get back with me. "No, I think I need time for myself."

Jiyong stayed silent in the other line, but I could hear him sigh now and then. For a few minutes, I stayed on the line with him, though not saying anything. After that, I spoke again.

"Ji.. I'm gonna go, arasso? Just.. take a rest. I know this is hard for you, but it's over. There's nothing you or I can do about it."

"Baby, please no - "

But before he could say more, I hung up on him.


Jiyong called three more times that night. Looking back, I should have really accepted those calls and let him talk me out of it. But I didn't. Because I was stubborn. And stupid. And pathetic.

Just like how he is now.

 
"Ji... I'm sorry!" I cried. Tears streamed down profusely, distorting my voice. "Please... I'm sorry! I made a mistake. I shouldn't have ignored you like that. I should've given you another chance. Please, I love you... I really do."

Jiyong looked away, his expression remained indifferent. He wasn't fidgeting or anything, which means that my words didn't seem to move him.

"Is that all you have to say?" He said coldly.

I looked at him confusedly. Was I supposed to say more?

I stuttered. "Ji... I-I..."

"If that's all you've got to say, then goodbye. I've got an exam tomorrow and I need to study."

Jiyong walked away, leaving me feeling beaten and broken. He didn't even look at me straight in the eyes.

"Jiyong! Wait! Please!" I was sobbing already. I know I looked like an idiot, but I didn't care. My heart was in pieces. "Don't go!"

Jiyong didn't turn around. He got in his car and drove away, not saying anything.

 

"Eun Ji, your tea." My mom gently knocked on my door before stepping inside. She placed the tea tray on my computer desk before coming over to my bed and placing her hand on my forehead. "Still feeling unwell?"


I didn't reply. I just kept on staring at my alarm clock on my bedside table. For the last few days, I've done nothing more than stay in bed, under my covers, with my face red and puffy from all the countless nights of crying myself to sleep.​I haven't been able to go school, and yet all my schoolwork were piled up at the foot of my bed still unfinished.

"Honey, drink your tea." My umma insisted, handing me a cup. I turned away. "I think you need to go to school tomorrow. You've been absent for too long."

I looked at her indignantly. "Umma, no!"

My mother replied. "Eun Ji, don't let this ruin you. Boys will come and go."

Easy for my umma to say. She doesn't know Jiyong like I do, or at least I thought I did. He's changed completely, and that's one of the things that kills me. I missed the sweet Jiyong. The one that would surprise me by hugging me from behind and kissing me on the cheek. The one that would come over if I'm feeling unwell with a thermos of hot soup. I want the old Jiyong back. It seems now that Jiyong was completely different. He was skating around kissing every girl in his path, going out and partying endlessly. I was sure my name no longer appeared in his mind. I'm certain that I no longer exist in his memories.

"Umma.. Please don't let me do this. I don't want to see him." I begged.

My mother brushed my hair off my face. "Darling, you can't run away from your problems forever. Just go tomorrow. I'm sure it would be a good day for you."

She didn't say more as she left my room. I hope she was right.