"Blood."

Remember Me? We Kissed in Playschool! (Hiatus)

 

        Dusk soon set in and Taemin watched with his curved, beautiful eyes even as the darkness enveloped the surroundings in its welcoming arms. Taemin loved the dark; it was ethereal, welcoming and comforting. Despite his sunshiny demeanour and cheerfulness, he was drawn to the darkness like nothing else. He had a sort of a strange connection with the darkness that went past all human notions and understandings. He stared out of the window of Minho’s room, watching the skies turn gloomy and smiled involuntarily. A sudden silence erupted in the room; he heard not a noise. Minho’s constant footsteps seemed to have ceased. It was worrying slightly and Taemin stuck his head out of the doorway, craning it back and forth scanning the house for any sign of Minho.

“Minho? Are you there?” Taemin called out, feeling a little foolish as he walked across the cold, marble flooring of the house. He walked a little ahead and saw a little note stuck to the refrigerator even as a covered plate of food sat stoically on the table, waiting to be devoured. Taemin read the note, musing over it; it was from Minho. He had scribbled it in a hurry, or so it seemed. It said that he would be some time and to not stay up for him. It also mentioned that the food kept on the table was for Taemin.

             Taemin smiled suddenly; somehow even that little gesture of Minho’s – of setting aside a little something for his hungry self, seemed so caring. He rubbed the back of his neck and sat down at the table wishing that Minho was there to share the meal with him like the earlier days. He placed the cold food in his mouth, chewing slowly even as he reminisced over the past. Taemin had never been able to get over his past; he loved to live in the past. And it seemed as though Minho loved to rush into the future. For the first time since he had entered the home, Taemin let himself entertain doubts about Minho’s memory. What if Minho never remembered him? What if all those lovely recollections of the past would bloom into nothing? Taemin wondered often if he ought to let go of the past and look into the future, but somehow, the past seemed too glorious to forget.

              The cold food slid down his throat and he washed it down with water. He carried his dishes to the sink and washed them carefully, not wanting to cause any trouble. Then he sat aside, hoping all the while that Minho would return and flash him a little smile. He stayed up for longer than he had ever had. He stayed up until he saw all the neighbouring lights flicker out and die. He stayed up until he saw darkness descend heavily. He stayed up until all the birds had gone to roost. He stayed up until he could stay up no longer. And sleep overtook him at last, gnawing at his fatigued limbs and pulling at his tired eyes. He slowly stood up and unsteadily walked up to Minho’s room. He smiled a little as he rested his heavy head on the place where Minho usually did and he pulled up the bedcovers around him; soaking in the sweetness of Minho’s lingering masculine scent. Taemin slept.

                                                                                           ***************************

                 It was well past one by the time I managed to pluck up the courage to return home. I was almost certain Taemin would have been asleep by then and I could face the embarrassment of my own cowardice without the presence of another. Fear gripped at me from all fronts as I tried to act brave and nonchalant. I’ve always been a good actor, I believe. I can be the most cocksure person on earth and act most courageous, whilst inwardly seething with fear. I get scared too.

               I walked across the avenues, stalling uselessly for time. I didn’t want to go back home and feel the same ghosts of the past haunt me. My memories have been wiped clean save for the one memory I wish I could wrench out of my demonic mind. I didn’t want to relive my past again. I stood outside my door for a good ten minutes, I suppose, before finally managing to convince myself to push the door open. A cold draught of air immediately whooshed over me and instinctively I shivered. The ordeal had begun.

               It was like every fragment of the house was discreetly calling out my name, reminding me of that fateful night. I wanted to turn back and run away, but I had to conquer my fear even if it meant cowering in agony. I entered shivering, and the door slammed shut behind me. I jumped and I felt a thousand hands rush at me from every direction. They pulled at me and slapped me hard. Oh, Lord, I have no one to turn to now! No one! I fell down on my knees as they ached painfully, colliding hard with the ground. I pressed my fingers to the carpeted flooring even as tears clouded my vision dripping down on the carpet, drip by drip, drop by drop making a river as it fell.

               Blood. It was there! It was, right before my eyes. The stream of blood that started right from the door it was there! I screamed in agony; I knew how this was going to end. The blood flowed up to me, staining my jeans and running over my hands. It burned with a frightful pain and I wanted to die, rather than relive this. My past was unfolding before my eyes and I could do nothing. I was a five year old again, skipping home from play watching the crimson fluid blemish every part of my house. I thumped my fist on the floor as my blood mixed with the blood flowing out. I wanted to brush away those memories, brush them away!

              I stood up wavering, wiping the grimy tears with my bloodied hands as I followed the trail of blood. Streaks of memories clouded my thought process as haunting pictures hovered before my eyes. I couldn’t distinguish reality from my fickle memories anymore; I couldn’t recognize the true from the false. All my tears, memories, haunts, everything that I had buried so deeply began fighting its way to life again. I slapped myself, feeling my own stinging palm collide with my cheek because my vision seemed to become increasingly blurred. I felt intoxicated, as though I had consumed large amounts of alcohol and the world began dancing before my eyes, bathed in a cloak of blood.

              I stumbled across to that room silently tiptoeing my way across the trail of blood that my unhinged mind made me see. I paused for a moment to lament myself at my own cowardice, before stupidly flinging the door open. And, I saw it.

             I saw it so clearly, it nearly killed me. There they were, my darling parents writhing in agony even as that detestable crimson fluid flowed out of the deep gnashes in their bodies. They had been mutilated, beaten so inhumanly that I could only cry out. I saw them so clearly, it was unnerving. I couldn’t bear it. A sickly feeling arose in me as I felt streams of emotions flood my body. I uttered a soundless parched squeak even as I turned helplessly. And as I did, I caught the eye of my mother, my pretty, darling mother whose eyes were so bloodshot and so sad. She was dying and I could do nothing. So I did what any sane person may have done. I crumpled to the floor and screamed.

                                                                                                *********************

          Minho beat the ground furiously with his clenched wrists that were soiled with his own blood. He screamed a sound so piercing, it seemed to resonate with the walls and revel in his pain. He couldn’t bear it any longer. He had suppressed those memories within him for such a long time that when he allowed them to escape, they did so with a vengeance. His memories seemed to translate into reality and although there was no blood, no bodies in the room, to Minho’s scarred mind, it all seemed so real. It was painful to see him wallowing in his sorrow, having no one to turn to and braving it all alone. He wanted someone to help him out of his misery and pluck him out of his haunting nightmare. He wanted support, he wanted respite.

             A sudden scream awoke Taemin from his light slumber. The scream was so painful that it jolted Taemin awake. He wondered for a few seconds before hearing the scream pierce through the air again. He quickly got to his feet and walked outside trying to locate the origin of that torturous sound. He sensed some movement in the room that was rather far apart from the rest of the house and slowly pushed back the door. He gasped.

               There was Minho, the brave, indifferent Minho cowering in evident agony and crying out in pain. His fists pressed firmly onto the floor, clinging in vain for support, solace, help against the demons of his past. Taemin stood shell-shocked for a few moments, unable to believe his eyes. His heart shook in the slight cavity of his chest as he stared at that individual before him, so vulnerable and so, so helpless. He rushed towards Minho, grasping him even as Minho thrashed around wildly. It was as though Minho had been replaced by another creature, someone so hurt and so scared. Taemin shook Minho gently whilst warding off the unintentional blows and murmuring soothing words to him.

                 Almost suddenly, a metamorphosis came over Minho and his wild thrashing ceased. He sat upright for a minute, stared at Taemin who was peering anxiously at him and all of a sudden, broke down and wept. The stoic, practical, upright man let tears mar his unwavering stance. Taemin felt his pain, although he could not fathom for his life the cause of it. He pulled Minho into a clumsy hug, resting Minho’s tearstained face on his shoulder. Minho clung to him, like he had no one else to look up to. Minho felt the warmth emanate out of this little creature who was soothing him. Minho, for the first time in his life, felt completely safe.

                “I’m so scared, Taemin, I’m so scared.” Muffled words emerged from Minho as he rested his heavy head on Taemin firm shoulders. Taemin patted him gently, not bothering to ask the reason of his behaviour. Taemin realised that right now, what Minho needed was not botheration or probes. He needed someone to lean on, someone he could look up to and someone who would be there for him. A few minutes passed, with their stance unwavering. Suddenly clicking back into reality, Minho pulled away from Taemin and stared unblinkingly for a while. He then embarrassedly rubbed his head and muttered, “I’m sorry for acting like this. This room doesn’t really help me.”

“It’s alright, it really is. You’re probably just frustrated or stressed.” Taemin murmured.

“I suppose you want to know why I acted like this....” Minho hazarded, keeping his gaze down.

“Not really I don’t; but if you feel like you’re up to sharing it, be my guest.” Taemin said gently.

             Minho stared at the slight, beautiful, slender person before him, seeing him in a completely different light. All through the day, Taemin had come across as someone who never seemed to have given up childishness, but now, with real problems confronting him, he seemed to have transformed into a mature, level-headed individual. Somehow, Taemin was much, much stronger than Minho emotionally. Minho felt safe in his presence, he felt secure; not physically but emotionally and psychologically. With Taemin’s assistance, he felt that he could conquer the ghosts of his past and release them. Suddenly, he realised a sudden fondness towards Taemin, a sudden familiarity that superseded the boundaries of mental make-up. He felt like he could share his story.

             Minho took a deep breath and with a piercing gaze boring into Taemin, he said softly, “I trust you and I want you to know. You help me in ways I can’t comprehend. So, listen to the story of my pathetic existence.”

______________________________________________________________________________

OKAY LET ME SPAZZ A LITTLE. I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER GOT SO MANY SUBBIES IN MY LIFE. I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU GUYS. JUST COMMENT OKAY?

Yeah, so I'll make things more clear next chappie, as to why Minho doesn't remember and blah-blah, BUT HONESTLY I LOVE YOU!

And umm...I'm sorry for not updating sooner, exams were killing me. -_- I hate school.

Comment for me? I'll reply to all comments I receive next chapter! :DD Just for the fun of it!

Oh this chapter's a little angsty, isn't it? I LOVE ANGST. But don't worry, this is still a fluff fic. <3