"I'm sorry."

Remember Me? We Kissed in Playschool! (Hiatus)

 

         Minho lay back contentedly on the grassy plains of the garden. He sighed peacefully, bringing up his hand to shield himself from the glaring afternoon sun. The wayward blades of grass lightly brushed against his back even as he stared unwaveringly at the back of his palm, seemingly lost in the thoughts of a world he had once belonged to. Almost involuntarily, he smiled to himself. His smile widened as he noticed the slender boy seated upright on the grass, pouring over photos excitedly. He hummed softly under his breath and lightly tapped Taemin’s knee. Taemin looked up instantly, staring at him with muddled, questioning eyes and an uncertain, bright smile.

“Let it go, Taemin,” Minho said softly, gently patting the other boy’s quivering hand, “Let it go. I don’t think I might remember anything else, not today at the very least. In any case, I’m happy to have one memory to relive.” He lowered his voice subconsciously, “Let it go.”

          Taemin looked hard into the taller boy’s eyes. His piercing gaze ricocheted off the smooth hazel orbs, trying to fathom the feelings behind the cloak of brownness. But all he could sense was pure happiness – Pure joy and a pleasant sort of dreaminess. There was not a trace of disappointment, not a wisp of resentment. Minho’s eyes seemed to be lit up with vigour, a glow that revelled in the memory swimming deep within the crevices of his mind. Taemin bit his lower lip, trying to quell his own frustration before shutting the book with a resounding slap. He rested his chin in the hollow of his palm and looked thoughtfully into the distance.

“I suppose you’re right,” He sighed at last, coming to terms with the situation, “I don’t think there’s anything much we can do now.” He spoke half-heartedly, wishing he had the power to decorate Minho’s lonely mind with memories that were so precious to him. “Although,” he continued, “I don’t see any harm in jogging your memory a little more.”

         He spoke decidedly, with a determined sort of expression adorning his smooth, soft features. Minho gazed affectionately at him, propped himself up on his elbows and broke into a husky, rich, beautiful laughter. The easy laughter resounded through Taemin’s sharp ears, lightly flowing down their twists and turns. Taemin smiled back in return almost involuntarily as the huskiness of Minho’s mirth flirted carelessly with the clefts of his ears, sending shivers down his spine. The laughter was much too infectious and its sound, as sweet as the tinkling of bells and the sways of trees in the gentle zephyr.

“Do you,” Taemin paused indecisively, his teeth pressing into his scarlet lips with a force that almost drew blood, “Do you remember me any better?” His query came by slowly, revealing itself gently by peeling off the many layers of uncertainty that cloaked it. There were soft traces of hesitation covering its trembling expanse. His eyes turned almost glassy as he gazed nervously at the tall individual lounging on the grass.

           Minho didn’t react at once, but Taemin thought he detected a sudden tightening of his jaw and a strange quiver of his fingers. He felt the silence envelope him unkindly and even though Minho had barely uttered a word of his reply, Taemin knew instinctively that it wasn’t in the affirmative. He transferred his gaze to the greenery of his surroundings and waited sadly for confirmation.

               Almost as though asserting his own thoughts, Minho said softly, “I’m sorry, Taemin.” Minho sat up slowly, undecidedly and gently came close to Taemin. The disappointment clearly etched on his beautiful face tore through Minho’s heart and he swore inwardly. He leaned forward, his face barely inches away from Taemin’s, with his beautiful eyes boring into Taemin’s own with an intensity that in no way alleviated the hot blush creeping stealthily up Taemin’s fair neck. He slowly brought up one hand and lightly brushed aside a lock of Taemin’s flaxen hair and tucked it gently behind his ear. Taemin twitched, feeling the close contact of Minho’s hands on his skin and tried unsuccessfully to appear nonchalant. Minho looked deeper into the slender boy’s eyes and repeated huskily, his voice layered with the thickness of his unspoken emotions, “I’m sorry.”

               There was so much more he wanted to say. He wanted to elucidate how stricken he felt at being unable to remember Taemin. He wanted to tell Taemin how earnestly he wished he could get back another one of his lost memories, one that would restore Taemin to the rightful place in his reminiscences. He wanted to tell the boy how much he had already helped him and how much he had grown to mean to him. He wanted to tell Taemin a volley, a surmise, a breath of other things, such a lot. But somehow the words would choke up within him and he would be compelled to turn away.

                He stared stricken, at the other boy wishing somehow, with all his heart that he could read him and fathom everything that was running through his mind. The atmosphere around them thickened with the strains of unspoken thoughts and unsaid words. Minho blinked back a few gruff tears and looked away. The words died a slow painful death in the slope of his throat. The blood coursing through his very veins trembled with the intensity of his feelings, but the cowardice of his mouth clamped them shut.

                He wondered if Taemin did understand because he felt Taemin’s long fingers creep up to him gently and squeeze his arm reassuringly. He clutched at the tips of Taemin’s artistic fingers almost wretchedly, brushing it past his rough cheek. Taemin’s eyes widened at this, but he made no attempt to withdraw his hand. Instead, he ran cupped Minho’s cheek in the curve of his palm, protected by Minho’s own. It was a beautiful moment and each one stared wholesomely into the swimming depths of the other’s eyes. Taemin’s fingers lightly dropped down and he smiled up at Minho, a bright, wide smile of utter beauty and said philosophically, “Ah well, at least you know now what a frightful monkey I was in playschool.”

            Minho felt his lips curl up instinctively. It was just one of the many things that Taemin could do. Minho marvelled silently at how easily Taemin could make him smile, cheer him up and somehow make him more real than he had ever felt in his life. He closed his eyes slowly, letting the darkness swathe him and soaked in the warm glow that seemed to gently emanate from the other boy’s very presence. Suddenly, he felt a whoosh of air surround him and an impatient tug on his hands. He flickered his eyes open indulgently and met with the strange spectacle of Taemin urgently struggling to pull him up to his feet.

“Come,” said Taemin impulsively, “Come with me. I have a place I need to show you.” His impatient hands closed around Minho’s arms and unsuccessfully tried to bring him up.

Minho waved aside Taemin’s futile efforts and lazily stood up. He grinned, “I’m supposed to be the one showing you around, you know. You are the guest, after all. Do you even know your way around here?”

Taemin waved his arms in a curious gesture, “Oh, I remember this place clear as day. Don’t worry. Just come with me.”

          Taemin rushed ahead, tightening his grip on Minho’s hand, feeling the warmth of the touch of their bare skin. Minho came along smiling. This was not, admittedly, something he was accustomed to doing. Rather, he was the last person to succumb to impulse. But like everything else, this boy seemed to have a firm hold over every one of his pet peeves and seemed to make him attempt what he, perhaps a week or two ago, wouldn’t have even entertained thoughts of. It was strange sometimes to observe the way Taemin could change and affect him. He hadn’t been this agreeable since, perhaps, playschool! He called out to Taemin who was rushing past the volley of trees and honking cars with lightning speed, “Are we nearby? Where are we going?”

             Taemin looked back for a fraction of a second and answered, “We’re almost there. We’re going to the Maewha Park. There was subconscious emphasis on the name, an emphasis which Taemin seemed to be struggling to hide. A faint pallor of red crept up his neck and he looked ahead resolutely. He was determined to refrain from betraying any more of his flustered thoughts. Minho looked at the boy with faint surprise and wonder. Minho was a born observer and a shrewd one at that. He noticed clearly the light lilt to the name and the gentleness of the blush.

           He threw his mind as far back as he could and tried earnestly to perhaps entrance vague wisps of memories relating to incidents which may have occurred in parks. But his mind refused to co-operate and a seemingly blank picture cover his thoughts. He sighed and continued his strides behind the triumphant procession of Taemin’s happiness.

              What Taemin had nonchalant described as being “almost there”, in actuality turned out to be a good fifteen minutes away. Minho mentally noted in amusement that trusting Taemin’s wayward estimations was not something which ought to be attempted regularly. Finally, a tremendous amount of running, huffing and leaping later, Taemin stood proudly at the entrance of a rather dilapidated looking garden which bore out a pathetic, worn-out little board. Taemin looked back at Minho suddenly, almost searchingly. Minho noticed Taemin’s keen gaze boring deep into him and reddened beneath its unusually earnest intensity. Taemin looked away after a few seconds with equal suddenness. Minho thought unsurely that he detected a tinge of disappointment in the other’s features. He shrugged and wandered in beside Taemin.

           If there truly was disappointment in Taemin’ mind, it seemed to be utterly vanquished and upstaged by a vivacious happiness. Because no sooner had they set foot inside the park than an expression of mad delight came upon Taemin’s delicate countenance. He ran to and fro seemingly soaking in the welcome of the park. He rushed from one tree to another, from one bench to another, from one slide to another almost as though announcing his arrival after a long gap of thirteen years.

           Minho stood silently with a bemused look, watching the boy revel in his doings. He stared almost wistfully at Taemin’s mirth and joy. With his upturned lips, twinkling eyes and rapturous gestures, he seemed so at ease. “He looks so happy,” Minho thought with a sudden pang. Somehow, a part of Minho had begun wishing that he could experience such emotions too.

           He wondered what it was about the place that could evoke such joy in Taemin and he wondered if, only if, he was still in possession of his memories, he would have felt it too. He looked around the park with a ferocious gaze of utmost concentration, trying futilely to call back his memories and understand the significance of the place. He took in the green grass, the slightly haggard benches, and the withered flowers intently. But it awoke no dormant part of his idle mind. It roused no memories. It brought back no familiarity.

“Minho?” He heard the uncertain call of Taemin come from some distance away. He shook himself out of the reach of his thoughts and looked around only to realize that Taemin had flitted away elsewhere. “Minho, come here, will you?” Minho heard the request and followed almost excitedly the direction of the voice. He strode a few steps away when suddenly, he found himself in what seemed to him like a never-ending sea of swimming, breathing greenery. He looked ahead into the distance and noticed Taemin standing solemnly at the very heart of the grassy sea, almost like blue-blooded royalty.

         And somehow, somehow, a part of Minho’s mind clicked into position and he felt an indescribable feeling come over him. He shook with a strange quiver and murmured softly, “All this seems so familiar, so familiar...”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

OMG GUYS IM SO SORRY. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I CAN SAY TO TELL YOU HOW SORRY I AM. This year was one of those important 'career-changing' year thingies and my 'important' board exams are on right now. They're getting over this monday and I promise promise I'll update again this monday or latest Tuesday. I've been sleep-deprived and whatnot studying for these nonsensical exams this year so my updates have been terribly irregular.  And I'm extremely sorry. But if you're still supporting Taemin and Minho in their journey, please read on. 

IM SO SO SORRY.