C h a p t e r N i n e

Love... Are We Able To...?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C h a p t e r N i n e
IX

"You idiot!" the sharp sound of a slap across ones cheek echoed though the silent night. 

"Father!" the man who received the blow to his face exclaimed, "it was not me who started it! He –”

"Stop with the lies! It’s always never your fault, isn't it? Do you know what trouble you have got yourself into this time?" the older male shouted.

"Father – ”

"You shot him. The future heir of the Dark Thorns. And for what reason? Would you care to explain?" the older male spoke in a calmer voice, trying to suppress his frustration towards his own son.

"He killed one of my subordinates!" the younger male claimed.

"He killed? Do you have sufficient evidence to prove it was him? And since when did you become so concerned over the lives of your subordinates?" he questioned. "Your temper has always been one of your flaws." He prompted; the angry tone of the older male could still be distinguished.

"Have you ever seen how he acts? I've had enough of him always acting as though he owns the whole of South Korea. Generations ago, both Eastern Hornets and Dark Thorns had agreed on not interrogating each other’s territory unless one declares war on the other – ”

"And this time, it isyouwho declared war. You firing your gun at him, don't you remember anything that I've told you about restraining your anger? They now have 100% reason to interrogate our territory, you idiot!" his calm voice gradually evolved into shouts.

"But father!"

"Learn how to restrain your anger! How do you expect me to pass on my position in my gang to you if you’re so hot tempered? You’ll go around making yourself look idiotic! You – ”he did not let himself continue with his own rants, after all, he did just give his son a lecture about restraining ones anger. He stormed out of the room, leaving his son alone in the dimly lit room to reflect upon his actions.

The younger male bought his hand upon his cheek which was still burning from the slap. His eyes reflected immense hate as the scene of himself being told off by his father replayed in his mind.

Heo Young Saeng. I will eliminate you. One day. The younger male thought to himself, he clenched his fist, a sign of resent and suppressed anger. I, Kim Kyu Jong, vow to kill you with my own hands.

============

"You useless people!" Kyu Jong shouted, slamming his hand on the oak table. A train of men stood still with their heads lowered. "How could you let him go like that?" he questioned, a frown appearing on his face.

"We could not find him – ”

"What do you mean you couldn't find him? He was injured. Any person with brains would know that an injured person could not go far. Did you blind people even bothered to look for him?" he shouted. “Are you not afraid of your punishment? Failing to accomplish what I have specifically told – do you all have a death wish?”

The men remained silent and appeared regretful for their failure. They had expected this; failure of their tasks could easily lead to their death.

"But hyung-nim, if we did find him and handed him over to you, Master Chief would've told you to let him go anyway – ” he was interrupted by a sudden loud bang on the oak table.

Kyu Jong grabbed him by his collar; the visually apparent veins on his face informed his inferior that he was in an angry state. "You only need to follow my orders! You do not and must not question the orders from your superior!" Kyu Jong yelled into the face of his cowering subordinate. He let go of his collar and threw him towards the floor.

"Yes hyung-nim! Please excuse my ignorance!" he pleaded, getting on his knees and giving Kyu Jong a formal bow.

"Finish him." Kyu Jong ordered, turning his back on the train of men, "I have no use for such an ignorant person."

"No! Please!" the man pleaded, bowing numerous times towards him, "no!" he screamed as he was dragged out of the room. His screams gradually faded as he was dragged further away.

"Where was he seen last before you lost him?" Kyu Jong asked, quickly fixing his concentration back on his sworn enemy.

"Near Parang Bar," his subordinates answered.

"Parang Bar is far from the Dark Thorns headquarter. There’s no way an injured man like him could hide outside in the cold all night. There must've been someone who helped him," Kyu Jong paused to think, though he was hot tempered and easily agitated, if was undeniable that he had a logical brain.

Kyu Jong found himself lightening up when a thought finally came to him. "I am giving you all another chance to redeem your failure." He turned back around to face them. ”I want you to find that person. A man or a woman, child or elderly. I want to you find that person and report it to me as soon as possible. And remember, I will not forgive anymore failures. The next failure will be paid with you and your family’s lives."

============

Christmas was approaching faster than expected; Seung Yeon had already decorated her little apartment in brightly coloured Christmas decorations. Tinsels of every colour hung from the ceiling, the Christmas lights around their miniature tree flashed blue, red, orange, green and every other imaginable colour in its own corner of the room.

These days, Seung Yeon kept herself up to date with the news on the television, especially news related to deaths or injuries. She secretly wondered how Young Saeng was, whether he returned safely or got injured again. On one hand, she was relieved that there was no such news, on the other hand, she wondered if he was already dead and had his body illegally buried like people often do in dramas.

Seung Yeon was still in query; she wondered who he actually was, whether he was just a normal man being hunted down by a big mafia organisation or if he was actually someone of high importance. She decided to go with the latter. Judging by the clothes he wore, the way he spoke and the many people who followed him around, believing that he was someone of high importance was a much more rational option.

She eyed the jacket that he left behind from the day he was injured. It hung lifelessly in Jae Joong’s room since the day Seung Yeon had helped him into her house. Neither of the two siblings touched it, they tried not to take notice of it, though they both worried for the day when he would return and retrieve his property.

===

The return of Jae Joong that night bought unwanted news for Seung Yeon; her brother had been selected to go on a business trip of which he may not return from by Christmas Day.

“Can’t you reject the offer?” she whined, “it’s Christmas...”

“I know, but it’s a great opportunity, you can look after yourself by now, can’t you?” he said between mouthfuls of water.

“Yes, I can, but Christmas is supposed to be a time of family gatherings...” she pouted.

“We gather at the dinner table every day, and it’s only this Christmas where we might not be together. You’ll cope!” he said encouragingly.

============

“I’ll give you a call every night! Love you!” Jae Joong shouted as the taxi drove away, waving his hand vividly to Seung Yeon, who too, waved back. She still continued to wave although the taxi was well out of sight and was probably heading into the next street.

Perhaps she was too used to the presence of Jae Joong, it weird for her to sleep at night knowing that she was by herself and knowing that there would be no one to comfort her if she woke from one of her nightmares again. She kept looking at her phone at regular intervals, checking for any messages or missed calls.

Maybe he hasn’t landed yet... That’s probably why he hasn’t called yet…

============

Days later, Seung Yeon finally set foot out of her apartment and headed to the local shops, (f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter