Tense Atmosphere

12:51

IU huffed and puffed as she uneasily lifted the heavy suitcases up the wooden staircase, taking frequent pit stops since the suitcases were slightly larger and heavier than her frail arms can carry.

 

 

 

She stopped again for a brief moment to fix her now sweat-soaked fringe away from her eyes.

 

 

 

"Aish~ why do I have to bring so many clothes?" She cried, ducking down as she tried to catch her breath. Youngbae shifted his body so he can look at IU who was still breathing heavily like she had just ran a marathon. IU finally managed to ease her breathing abit as she stood up, meeting Youngbae's cold gaze.

 

 

 

"Stop complaining since you brought this upon yourself. Besides, the room is just up ahead. If you want this to end, then start lifting." He barked as he continued his way upstairs. As soon as Youngbae turned his back, IU started grumbling silently to herself, throwing imaginary knives at Youngbae from time to time.

 

 

After a few lousy minutes of heavy lifting, IU and Youngbae finally managed to reach the room that they'll be sharing together. IU looked at Youngbae who was towering over her for a moment, her face filled with disgust.

 

 

 

" Why do I have to share a room with this pabo?" She angrily thought to herself. " I'd much rather want to sleep on the couch."

 

 

 

"Are we just going to stand here or are we going to go inside now?" Youngbae asked, breaking IU's train of thought. IU lightly shook her head as she found her way back to reality. Opening the door, IU was about to lift the suitcases and head inside when Youngbae cut his way in, making IU slightly stumble backward.

 

 

 

"Yah! Ever heard of "excuse me" ?" IU angrily asked as she went inside the room as well. The room as a bit small than IU thought it would be. It was an antique-styled room coupled up with an antique-styled wallpaper that covered the walls. Two single beds occupied most of the room along with the bedside tables.

 

 

 

"Next time, stop being such a slowpoke." Youngbae commented, throwing IU's suitcases on the first bed before plopping himself on the other one.

 

 

 

"I'll stop being a slowpoke, if you stop acting like an idiot." She murmured through gritted teeth.

 

 

 

"I heard that."

 

 

 

"That is what I was hoping for." IU replied, throwing a sarcastic smile at him. She gingerly sat herself on the edge of the bed as she ran her fingers along the bed's comforter. She was about to start unpacking her clothes when she felt a sudden tightness in her chest. Moving quickly, she opened up her suitcase and dug inside for something. Youngbae noticed IU rummaging inside her suitcase and got curious.

 

 

 

"Hey, what are you doing?" he asked as he sat himself up.

 

 

 

IU pulled out a small pink-colored device which looked like the end of a garden hose. IU ignored Youngbae for a few seconds as she placed on the device's mouthpiece, pushing down on the top. A faint gushing noise was heard soon after. Youngbae's usual cold stares that she was giving her since they've met softened up abit. He slightly opened up his mouth, wanting to ask another question when IU cut her off.

 

 

 

"If your that curious, this is an inhaler." She answered him. " This is for people who have asthma like me." Youngbae sat there dumbfounded after hearing IU's health problem.

 

 

 

"How come.....you never told me about this?" He asked, still abit dazed. " If you told me, I wouldn't have forced you to carry those bags." IU just shrugged her shoulders, placing the inhaler on her bedside table.

 

 

 

"You were too busy hating me that you never gave me the chance to tell you." She simply said, standing up from the bed as she opened up her suitcase completely to unpack. Youngbae's heart sank, a slight tint of guilt seeping its way inside of him. Awkward silence soon swept over them. Younbae sat there on his bed in silence, stealing glances at IU from time to time as she continued to unpack. Youngbae wanted to apologize for being so inconsiderate towards her since they've met, but his ego was getting the best of him.

 

 

 

"Hey." Youngbae called out. IU looked at him with a curious look on her face.

 

 

 

"Hmmm?" Youngbae scratched the back of his head, as he looked at the floor instead of IU.

 

 

 

" I'll be downstairs. Call me if you need anything." He said, before storming his way out of the room. IU sighed, seeing Youngbae's figure disappear from her view.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

" Ji Eun-ah. Dinner is ready." The ahjumma called out.

 

 

 

"I'll be down in a minute." IU answered back. She quickly paced herself out of the room and down the stairs. She entered the small dining room seeing Youngbae, her umma and her appa already seated around the circular dining table. She sat herself beside her umma, not wanting to sit next to Youngbae. The four of them ate silently, awkwardness filling the entire table.

 

 

 

"So, Youngbae... how is your photography job coming along?" The ahjumma asked, breaking the silence.

 

 

 

"It's doing good. Its tiring, but I'm doing great." The ahjumma nodded her head before placing a piece of grilled meat in .

 

 

 

" How about you Ji Eun-ah? how was is your schooling this year?" IU lifted her head up as she stopped playing with the peas on her plate.

 

 

 

"Fine." She simply said before starting to play with the peas again. Youngbae apparently couldn't take the tense atmosphere anymore as he stood up.

 

 

 

"I think I'll be heading upstairs now. Thank you for the meal, Auntie. Ahjussi." He said, giving them both bows before marching himself out of the dining room, not even greeting IU a good night. Not soon after, IU stood up from the table as well, bidding them both a good night as she dashed her way upstairs, leaving the ahjussi and the ahjumma with confused looks on their faces.

 

 

 

"Was there something wrong with the food?" The ahjussi asked.