3

At The Mercy Of Cruel Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello, here the new update

sorry if there a mistake in my writing

enjoy

 

 

June 2007

 

Standing in front of ginkgo tree are Joohyun and Seulgi.

‘It’s beautiful, isn’t it?’ Joohyun was in awe, staring at the 100-year-old ginkgo tree with vibrant green leaves that unfolded like tiny origami.

This is not her first time standing in front of this tree, yet it never fails to leave her speechless with the beauty of nature.

Seulgi didn’t expect much when Joohyun told her about this tree; she thought the tree was about to die, all dried up and ready to be chopped off.

But standing tall in front of her, branches spread out widely, shielding them from the bright sun.

‘It is’ she agreed, lips slightly apart because Seulgi felt like she was just walking into a movie. It's so serene out here, with a spring breeze filling the air with a strong nature fragrance that awakens Seulgi’s olfactory sense.

Seulgi's world, which had always felt small and restrictive, has suddenly expanded, causing her lungs to expand as she breathes contentedly.

The tree is so big. It is magnificent for fifteen-year-old Kang Seulgi.

‘People said if we make a wish in front of the tree, it will come true.’

Seulgi places her palm on the tree trunk, feeling the rough texture underneath her palm. Touching the tree calmed her somehow, giving her hope that tomorrow will be better than today.

She flinched when Joohyun copied her action. However, instead of feeling the trunk texture, Joohyun placed her hand on top of Kang Seulgi's.

Grabbing Seulgi's hand, ‘Let’s make a wish, hmm?’

Joohyun let go of Seulgi's hand and closed her eyes as she clasped her own hands in front of her face.

Joohyun whispered her wish in her heart, genuinely hoping it would come true in the future.

Seulgi's eyes were fixated on Bae Joohyun, who was earnestly making a wish.

Seeing how pure Joohyun action is, Seulgi placed her hands together, clasping them, and closed her eyes.

Seulgi heart whispers wholeheartedly, whatever it takes please make Bae Joohyun's wish come true.

When she's done and opens her eyes, she turns to look at Joohyun, who is already smiling at her. probably feeling delighted to see Seulgi make a wish too.

Joohyun wasn't expecting Seulgi to do it, the monolid girl is not easily convinced by such spiritual gestures.

Seulgi's eyes wonder to the tree trunk, ‘wh-what’s your wish?’

'Yah, you can’t ask that; it needs to be a secret, only then it will come true’ Joohyun tsked, feeling disappointed with the latter insensible question.

Scratching at the back of her right ears, Seulgi feels embarrassed for being dimwitted; ‘then mine is a secret too.’

Once again, Seulgi places her palm on the tree trunk. She let out her honest thought, ‘I really want my wish to come true’

 

….

 

'You're really good in sports, Seulgi’ Seungwan complimented once they were done with PE class and were now heading to the locker room.

‘Yeah, teacher Kim has her eyes on you every time you get the ball’ Joohyun agreed with Seungwan.

‘She might recruit you into our school basketball team soon’ Seungwan said, she still feels jealous of Joohyun being close to Seulgi.

However, as she gets to know Seulgi, those feelings kind of get pushed to the back. Still, in Joohyun's eyes, she is the number one best friend.

Not Seulgi.

‘I don’t – re – really want to be in a team’ Seulgi stated while opening her locker, taking her towel, and walking to the shower cubicle.

‘Why?’ Joohyun asked. The sound of water pouring down can be heard now because more students are coming in to freshen up.

Seulgi sighed as the water hit her bare skin, soothing her muscles that tensed up all the time while she was with the other two.

It’s been months, and she still feels awkward.

‘It can boost your credit, you know, for college applications.' Seungwan chirped in.

‘College…’ Seulgi muttered while letting the water fall directly on her head, trailing down on her skin.

‘Yeah Seulgi, you should join the team’

‘I – I don’t like sport’ she lied, once again.

 

‘yah Son Seungwan! I'll leave you if you’re not done in ten minutes!’ Joohyun warned her best friend. She doesn’t understand why Seungwan takes a super long shower after PE.

It not like they sweated like pigs during the class.

Seulgi wrapped herself in a towel and quietly walked out of the shower stall and headed to her locker, which is right beside Joohyun.

‘Wait’ she said, stopping Seulgi from wearing her school uniform and leaving the girl wrapped in a towel.

Taking Seulgi's school uniform, ‘I want to fix this’ She points it at Seulgi's uniform cuff, where the button is missing.

‘uh – its okay Joohyun –

Ignoring Seulgi's protest, Joohyun sits on the bench with her mini sewing kit. ‘You can wear a skirt and others first. I’ll be quick’ she starts to sew the cuff button.

Seulgi feels ashamed when Joohyun does that to her. Everyone else has worn a short-sleeve school uniform since its June already, but she's wearing a long-sleeve; she only has two long-sleeve uniforms.

 

‘See, all good now’ Joohyun said proudly while helping Seulgi roll her sleeves up to the elbow.

‘y-you don’t have to…’ Her voice almost disappeared when she said that, still feeling ashamed.

‘I want to, it’s my dream to be good at things like this’ Joohyun pointed at her sewing kits.

‘y-you love sewing?’

‘no’ Joohyun chuckled. ‘I want to be a good mother in future, so’ she's done with rolling sleeve shirt of Seulgi. ‘I want to practice things like this with my friend.’

‘o-ooh…’ It’s a great dream; not everyone wants to be a mother. Seulgi doesn’t know much about mother role; she doesn’t have a mother figure in her life.

It is just her and her father, all alone.

‘I think... you’ll be a great mother in future’

Joohyun smiled, her heart tickled because this is the first time Seulgi complimented her verbally. ‘Next time, ask me if you lost another button.’

Joohyun's hand reaches out to adjust Seulgi's collar and tie, making sure everything looks nice.

Now out of nowhere, Seulgi doesn’t feel ashamed anymore. Because the girl next to her knows how to show kindness without burdening or overly bothering the person who is receiving it.

Joohyun is that person who knows exactly what to say at the exact moment so the person she talks to doesn’t feel awkward or offended.

She is the kind of person that people love to be friends with, and maybe Seulgi can trust Joohyun and be friends with her.

It’s been months, and Joohyun is still here, openly treating her like a friend even though Seulgi has been acting hot and cold.

‘You s-said you li-like to practice it with your friend?’

‘yup’

Cheeks heating up, Seulgi lowered her head and let her hair fall like a curtain, hiding her flushed face from Joohyun's sight.

‘am I y-your frie – friend?’

‘Of course you are!’ Joohyun side elbow the monolid girl. She feels so offended by that question, she has already treated Seulgi as her friend since the very first day they shared lunch!

If it’s not because of her athletic instinct, Seulgi will kiss the cold tiles because of the impact of that elbow hit from Joohyun.

‘Gosh! I even take you to that tree!’

At that time, Joohyun didn’t realise that Seungwan's shower had stopped, and the girl had been listening to Joohyun and Seulgi's entire conversation with heartache.

She doesn’t know Joohyun took Seulgi to their favourite place. Seungwan thought that place is a special place for the two of them.

Seungwan feels like Joohyun betrayed their friendship by taking Seulgi to their spot. Joohyun ought to have asked her or brought her there as well.

Fist clenched by her side as Seungwan eyes welled up in tears.

 

….

 

Seulgi felt as th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter