The Adventure

Just Beyond My Reach

 

That was one promise that was kept. Lord Kim met the rest of the crew. They laughed and cackled throughout the days. Formerly a lord who abides to society’ rules, he turned into a true man (or boy, because he was only twelve). His hands became rougher, his hair wilder, formerly neat and impeccably in place. His once pale white arms became tan from the sun and his soft form hardened with muscles. He told the crew to call her “Kibum”. He even wore rough sheepskin breeches! He became really happy, eating gruel with the crew, helping Sooyoung around the ship and cooking with Toothless. After a fortnight at sea, Kibum was called to Captain Jonghyun’s cabin. 
 
“Yes, Captain? You called?” Kibum sat in one of Jonghyun’s hard back chairs. 
 
“I see you already got yourself comfortable, so I’ll just get to the point. The reason I kidnap-” Jonghyun was cut off by Kibum.
 
“Don’t say “kidnapped”! It sounds like you locked me up in a small room and only allowed me  bread and water!” Kibum laughed at his own joke. “Let’s say… “borrowed” shall we?” Jonghyun burst out in loud laughter.
 
“Okay, do you know why I borrowed you? Jonghyun asked with a smile.
 
“No, and I found out I do not care for the reason anymore! I’m having a marvelous time!” Kibum stretched out his arms and rocked around in his chair. He beamed up at him.
 
“Kibum, I brought you here for a serious reason. That bastard Onew is holding one of his family soirees. It will be on one of his private, uncharted islands. Fortunately, I know where it is. Unfortunately, I don’t have a kid and now that’s where you come in, Kibum. I need you to pretend to be my son. Of course I won’t show up as the marquess of K. I’ll simply be Count Hyun, bringing my son- what should be your name?” Jonghyun scratched his head. “I’ll let you choose.”
 
“Bummie? Key? What kind of count do you want to be?” 
 
“A simple one.”
 
“Then I will be simple Key. Simple Key, Simple Key…” Kibum skipped around the room singing his new name. Jonghyun was surprised that Kibum accepted so easily. Now here comes the hard part. Kibum stopped skipping for a moment. “Why do we have to go to that bastard’s family soiree?” Kibum asked. 
 
Jonghyun took a deep breath. “That bastard stole my heirlooms. They don’t have much money value. It holds more sentimental value. You see, I loved my grandmother. Her name was Kim Yooni. She was an incredibly strong woman. Even if the society cursed her out, declared her a , and her husband deserted her, she stood firm and successfully raised me and my parents. She saved money and bought my parents an expensive wedding gift, along with her wedding ring. She gave my mother jewelry. These items were passed down to me when my parents died in a carriage accident.” Jonghyun paused. He shuddered at the memory. He was only 20 when a sweaty man banged on his door screaming “MARQUESS K IS DEAD! MARCHIONESS K IS DEAD! TERRIBLE CARRIAGE ACCIDENT!”  Jonghyun stood there, frozen while SeKyung cried into his shoulder. All of the sudden, he was the marquess of K. He had to receive society’s approval, and actually work. He bought several ships and had some adventures in them. This will be one of them. 
 
When Jonghyun realized Kibum was still sitting there, he continued his story. “That bastard Onew is going to see them in an auction, just to spite me. It is not like that bastard needs anymore money in his coffers!” He slammed his fist onto the table. Kibum nearly jumped out of his seat. But Jonghyun continued to speak. “Anyway, back to business, the plan will be…”
 
###
 
Over the next few days, they prepared for that bastard’s soiree. In another week, they arrived at Onew’s island. They put on their fanciest clothes and got on the line onto Duke V’s mansion. Jonghyun actually already prepared a suit for Kibum. Even the crew looked spiffy. One by one, they moved into Duke V’s mansion. When Kibum, Jonghyun and Sooyoung was announced, everyone stopped dancing and watched the stunning family walk down the stairs. Sooyoung wore a dress with pink ruffles, but that’s not what got the people’s attention.  The dress had an indecently low neckline and the dress stopped at her knees and fell diagonally until it reached the floor.  She wore sheepskin shoes. Then when Jonghyun walked into the room, everyone forgot about the scandel that was Sylvia. Some women fluttered their fans in front of their faces, others flat out fainted. The room was in an uproar, with butlers rushing to catch their fainting ladies. His well cut suit was the color of the clearest midnight sky. Along with those piercing brown eyes and black curls, no women can resist. Kibum was dressed in a simple black suit. It was a far cry from what he was used to. In fact when he gave Kibum the suit, Jonghyun said, ”Remember, this dress is for simple Key not Lord Kim Kibum,” Kibum paid no mind to anything, but the gift from Jonghyun; he didn’t mind its simplicity. 
 
They stepped down the stairs like royals, mingling with the common people. They schmoozed and charmed the people. Although dinner, everyone was sneaking glances at the attractive family. Then came the main attraction of the evening (so to speak), the auction. Everyone filed into the ballroom where the items were put out for all to see.
 
“Okay everybody! Our first item is an emerald necklace, a bit tarnished. The- ahem- impressive jewel is hung on a gold chain. Bidding starts at 100 pounds,” Everybody laughed. Xavier stiffened next to a Lady Jessica, who was clutching on to his arm and like a spider; she won‘t let go. Lady Jessica was also laughing. This was his parent’s wedding gift from his grandmother! It is worth a lot more then a measly 100 pounds. 
 
“101 pounds!” Someone called out, and again everyone laughed. Sooyoung was seething, these haughty aristocrats! I bet the jewelry they wear are fake!!  She thought, seething. Kibum stood next to her, frozen.  How could they do such a thing?  Kibum stood taller.
 
“2,000 pounds!” he called in his loudest and most powerful voice. Everyone, of course, turned and looked at her. That bastard Onew walked up to Kibum himself and knelt down to his level.
 
“Key, how could your father have enough money-” Kibum gave him a look that said “oh, shut up”and reached inside his suit. When his hand came back out, he held a big wad of money. 
 
“For an additional 3,000 pounds I’ll buy all your jewelry displayed,” 
 
“No, I think these pieces of jewelry costs another-”
 
“I don’t think you need anymore money then you already have, Duke V,” Kibum retorted. Way to show that bastard, Key! Jonghyun thought with a smile. Minho was observing the events unfold in the shadows with a big grin on his face. He first doubted Jonghyun’s decision to “borrow” Lord Kim Kibum, but now, he thinks otherwise. Onew was stunned to the spot. Be careful, this kid knows what he is doing, he cautioned himself. You wanted these pieces to sell for at least 10,000 pounds! Then you can get out of England and escape to America! You need to evade Lord Dongwoon and his herd of loan sharks! Onew took a deep breath. He had to keep his prorities straight.
 
“But you see, Key, these are priceless artifacts,” Duke V looked down to see Key’s reaction. He gave him a bored look that said Yeah, sure, whatever you say. 
 
“I have proof that you have no right to sell these items of interest,” Key turned to the man up on stage. “Turn the emerald over. It will say For my darling Marchioness K . Then on the right side of the engraving, there is a scratch about 2 millimeters long and .5 millimeters deep,” Jonghyun had been very precise in schooling him about his jewels. The man on the stage rose an eyebrow in Kibum’s direction. He reached for the emerald and lazily flipped it over. Once flipped, his eyes popped wide open, along with his jaw dropping and his mouth forming the O shape. Quickly, he scrambled for a ruler, squinting his eyes to take the exact measurements. Once complete, his jaws dropped again. The auidence watched the events unfold with bated breath. The man gave Duke V a shaky nod.
 
“What the girl said was true.” he said, looking like he didn’t believe his own words. Onew was outraged. Who does she think he is? He obviously isn’t who he said he was.  Suddenly, a thought took him over. Does he know that bastard Jonghyun? What is his connection to him? As a safety percaution, his eyes swept across the room. Jonghyun, Sooyoung and Minho all felt that bastard’s eyes looking for them. They, along with the crew, merged back into the crowd. Onew mentally stomped his foot in frustration. He didn’t see any signs of that bastard Jonghyun, or even anyone of his crew. He turned back to the smirking minx next to him. Key reached out his hand.
 
“The jewelry,” he said the same time a large group of brawny men stormed into the room. 
 
“LEE ONEW, YOUR DEADLINE HAS ARRIVED! YOU DECIDE, YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE!” Lord Dongwoon hollered. This is getting interesting…  Everyone thought at the same time. 
 
“Um… Er… ,” Onew slowly turned around and everyone’s eyes followed as Duke V ran for his life, literally. Lord Dongwoon turned to face the crowd in the room. 
 
“I guess that means he chooses his life. Everything in this house belongs to me now. I even have the deed,” he pulled out an official looking looking piece of parchment. Lady Jessica finally distangled herself from Jonghyun’s arms and flew to Lord Dongwoon’s arms. She reached her tippy toes and whispered something in his ear, pointing at Lord Kim in the process. Both Sooyoung and Jonghyun looked at each other, then looked at Kibum to raise their eyebrows. Kibum shrugged in response. 
 
“Ahem” Lord Dongwoon cleared his throat, getting everyone’s attention. “My wife told me that Key over there bought all of these jewelry pieces. I say, give me the money and you have all the jewelry,” Key walked slowly to Lord Dongwoon, then stopped when she heard Lady Jessica’s loud ladylike gasp and saw her shaky finger point towards her.
 
“Iss-ssn’t th-th-that t-th-the ss-so-o-n of Du-uke K-Kim-m?” Lady Jessica exclaimed. Everyone gasped at the same time. It can’t be! What is Lord Kim doing here? Kibum froze for a second, then suddenly smiled.
 
“Wow! Lord Kim! I would like to meet her! You must be mistaken, I’m Key, daughter of Count Hyun,” Jonghyun, Sooyoung, Minho and the crew sighed in relief. Thisclose and our cover would be blown. Lady Jessica collected the heirlooms and pressed them onto Kibum’s hands. Lord Dongwoon turned and looked at Jonghyun straight in the eye. Jonghyun smiled and reached for Lord Dongwoon’s hands. 
 
“Nice to make your aquintance. My name is Count Hyun,” 
 
“No it’s not. You are the exact copy of the who seduced me. You’re-” Jonghyun held up a hand.
 
“My name cannot be spoken out loud. But yes, I am that person. For the record, my sister is not a . It is due to your skirt chasing ways. You made my sister feel love towards you, fall into bed with you, and now she had a child. All you have to do now is to stay out of our lives,” Jonghyun turned to leave when Lord Dongwoon held him back. Jonghyun turned back to give him a irritated look.
 
“Please. One more question before you go. What’s my child’s name?” 
 
“Kim Yooni,” With that Jonghyun, Sooyoung, Amelia, Sheldon and the crew walked out of the party and back on the ship. Once on the ship, everyone took off their fancy clothes and got back to work. Jonghyun and his “family” fell right to sleep. The crew knew what to do. 
 
~~~
WHAT CHA THINK? :DDDD 
COMMENT. SUBSCRIBE. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO. XDD