The Beginning

Just Beyond My Reach

“Maid! I told you a million times already! My tea comes at five o’ clock SHARP. You are a minute and-” Lord Kim Kibum checked his watch distastefully. “-30 seconds late.”

The maid looked down on the floor, not meeting Young Master Kim’s eyes. “I’m very sorry, young master. I will not-” The maid was startled by Lord Kim’s fist meeting the table, causing tea to spill on the table and onto the floor.

“NO! My parents might be able to tolerate your excuses, but I will not!! You are to pack a bag and leave within 5 minutes. NOW GO!” Lord Kim jabbed his finger in the door’s direction. The maid cried into her hands as she scurried out. The butler ushers her out.

The maid, whose name was Sulli, was only a girl of 19 years. She worked for the Kim family for only a fortnight or so. She tried her best, but serving Lord Kim was next to impossible. He might be only 12, but his temper can explode without being provoked and his patience was non- existent. Things had to done his way or no way at all. Once Sulli reached her room, she took out a small bag and tossed her personal items into it. She sighed sadly and bided the Kim residence goodbye.

Lord Kim heard the servants’ door close softly. He huffed and flicked a hand towards the people in his room. “Amuse me,” he demanded. They started performing without a hitch, fearing his fiery temper. The people were hired by Duke and Duchess Kim to entertain their son when they had no time to do so themselves, which is often. These people changed every sennight. None of them succeeded in entertaining him, but they never failed in amusing him.

He sat there with his eyes elsewhere, not noticing the people singing and dancing all around him. He looked at his bedroom, bursting with toys, toys that were played with once then tossed aside. His bored eyes skimmed through his closet, overflowing with exotic fabrics. A cotton suit from India, a silk suit from China, typical muslin, satin, and velvet suits tailor-made especially for him. His sitting room matched his eight poster bed. Yet he saw none of these things.

Lord Kim flicked his wrist again, signaling his entertainers to go away as his maid came in to prepare him for bed. He complained about his night clothes, claiming it was “too big” or “too tight” or even “not comfortable enough”. His maid was to order a new set of night shirts. After all the fuss, Lord Kim went to have his face washed, demanding not a single blemish to be left behind. Finally he laid on his bed, asleep and the household was finally able to breathe.

Meanwhile, a man was pacing in his study halfway across town. “What do you mean ‘all gone’? It can’t be!” The marquess of K, or rather Captain Kim Jonghyun, paced as he stared down at his right hand man. Minho fretted over his dirt crusted fingers.

“Well, at least that’s what it looked like. I bet Captain Onew had his crew to steal it,” Minho chained his words together so it sounded more like “Wellatleastthatswhat…uh…um…er…itlookedlike. IbetCaptainOnew…umm…hadhiscrew….errr….stealit.”

“Damn right it was that bastard Onew! I knew he was planning something! I spotted one of his men was in my bushes just yesterday,” Captain Jonghyun kicked his table and his antique vase crashed onto the floor. The door to the next room opened and his sister SeKyung walked in.

“You should really lower the noise, Jjong. You know I just got Yooni to sleep,” SeKyung yawned. Jonghyun walked over to kiss SeKyung on the head and gave her a hug. Being twins, they were alike in stature and looks. Both of them were average in height and had raven black wavy hair and deep brown eyes. While Jonghyun was muscular from his work, SeKyung had a softer look. That was probably due to the fact that she had an affair with a married man and got pregnant with Yooni just last year. Her husband threw her out but Jonghyun opened his home for his only sister and there is no doubt that he loves Yooni. But of course no more then he loves Sooyoung, his fiancée. But all of society still wonders who the father of the baby is. Hell, even Jonghyun doesn’t know who he was. SeKyung simply answered “A married man,” when Jonghyun inquired about the matter.

Jonghyun took several calming breaths. “Everything’s fine now, sister dearest. You can go back to bed now. Rest assure that Yooni will stay asleep,” He gave SeKyung a smile along with a loving squeeze on the shoulder and sent her back to bed. She turned back, shook her head then walked out of the study. Jonghyun turned back to Minho.

“Okay let’s think this through. That bastard Onew is holding one of those family soirees on one of his private islands. I obviously can’t take Yooni. Hmm… any ideas, Minho? Remember, it has to be aristocracy and spoiled rotten,” Jonghyun had this gleam in his eye which meant he had someone in mind. Minho gave him a look that said “Okay… go on…”

“Very well then, Minho. It surprises me how you know me better than I know myself,”

“It’s probably due to the fact that I knew you ever since you were waddling around the house in diapers,” came Minho’s sarcastic reply. It was obvious that Minho turned back into his normal self, instead of the bumbling idiot that was there a moment ago. Jonghyun hooted in laughter. “HA! Around that time, if I remember correctly, you were also in diapers!” Minho cracked a smile. “Okay, Okay, back to business or we’ll wake up SeKyung and Yooni again! The person I have in mind is the son of Duke and Duchess Kim, Lord Kim. Here’s the plan…”