The Middle

Just Beyond My Reach

NOTICE HAIRY LEGS ON THE RIGHT XD

THANK YOU AmythystJade FOR INFORMING ME XDD

###

 

Lord Kim was being ushered out to Hyde Park. His governess who is to a certain extent his mother, claimed it is good to get some fresh air. Fresh air! PFF. Don’t make me laugh. They just want me out of the house! He swung his useless walking caneas he strolled down the flower strewn path with his governess. He looked at the flowers with a disgusted look on his face. Flowers! They’re suppose to make people feel happy, but they just make me feel irritated.

           

“Governess, I’m hungry.” Lord Kim planted his fists on his waist, shifted his weight to one leg and his expression screamed How could you not know that?

           

“Young Master, why don’t we find a nice patch of grass to sit on and we’ll open our basket of food. Oh, here’s a nice place to eat,” His governess laid down the picnic blanket and Lord Kim sat down, surveying the area round him. There were performers, performing for the people hoping to receive a few coins. His governess was arranging the food when the performers came over. They distracted his governess and in turn, a hand reached out and grabbed Lord Kim, tossed him in a burlap bag and carried him away. Lord Kim was screaming the entire time. Miraculously, when Lord Kim was taken away, all the performers also disappeared.

           

Captain Jonghyun preferred to do his own dirty work, even if he had a large crew who was willing to do his work for him.  That is why he heaved the screaming, kicking, and squirming Lord Kim Kibum onto his ship. He looks up to see Minho impatiently waving his hand at him. Jonghyun picks up his pace. He was pleased to see that his crew had meticulously prepared his ship, which meant the rooms were ready. Jonghyun brought Lord Kim to his room. When he was put down, he promptly stomped on Jonghyun’s foot. If it wasn’t for Sooyoung who blocked the door and held on to the squirming Lord Kim, he would’ve gotten away.

           

“The marquess of K! Release me at once!” Lord Kim commanded. At that moment, the ship began to move, no doubt thanks to Minho’s instructions. “What is the meaning of this? I demand to be brought back home!” Lord Kim screamed. The ship continued to move.

           

Jonghyun walked up close to Lord Kim. “First of all, I am not a servant you can order around. I am Captain Jonghyun, or the marquess of K,” Jonghyun put up two fingers in Lord Kim’s face. He didn’t even flinch. Jonghyun was mildly impressed. But he had to continue. “Second of all, once we are finished with you, we will bring you home. Whether you go back in pieces or not, it’s your decision,” Lord Kim again didn’t flinch at the crude words. Either he had a strong stomach or he didn’t have feeling at all. Xavier believed in the latter.

           

“Um.. Jonghyun? I can put him down now, right?” Lord Kim stopped squirming, as though he had accepted his fate.

           

“Yes you should. You should also put him in the kitchens. You know everyone on the ship has to work their fill,” Lord Kim’s eyes popped open wide. He actually look afraid of work. Sooyoung came closer to Lady Amelia and hurried her to the kitchen.

           

“It’s okay, Kibum. Toothless is really nice. She won’t make you do anything disgusting,” Sooyoung reassured her. Toothless? What kind of parents name their child “Toothless”? Why am I here? GET ME OUT OF HERE!! Lord Kim screamed in his head, in hopes someone would hear him, which he doubted anybody could. Hold on a minute. Did the savage looking lady just call me “Kibum”? Where’s her respect?? Suddenly a memory came to Lord Kim.

           

“Hahahahaaahahaaaaaaa Kibumdoesn’t have parents! Kibumdoesn’t have parents!” The kids taunted. They knew how much he hated it when they called him by his Christian name.

           

“Ohh What if Kibum isn’t the child of Duke Kim? That means Iwill be the next Duchess Kim! Oh…. Think of all that money! I could marry anybody I can! Heehee, let’s kill Kibumso I can be Duchess Kim!” A barrage of pebbles came at him, but all of the sudden they stopped.

           

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?” A squeaky voice came from the other side of Lord Kim. Some of the kids throwing rocks at him actually stopped to cover their ears and ran away. The scrawny boy ran next to him.

           

“Lord Kim, are you okay?” A hand reached down to him. He used it to get up. The boy looked sickly, but he was smiling brightly at him.

           

“I am… still alive,” Lord Kim said with a smile. The boy unexpectedly barked out a booming laugh.

           

“So what brings you to these parts?” The boy introduced himself as Lee Taemin.

           

“Um… My aunt lives around here and I’m visiting her. How about you?” Taemin and Lord Kim started to walk around town square.

           

“I actually live around here. Do you see the red house over there?” Taemin pointed to a average sized house a couple of  hills away. It looked well lived in, while on the other hand, her own home next to Hyde Park still looks as new as when Duke and Duchess Kim first bought it. Their excuse was that they were always busy for Lord Kim. To compensate for the missing time, they would always shower him with exotic gifts. Don’t they know that I want them to be with meinstead of these outrageous gifts? Lord Kim thought bitterly. They gave him clothes that don’t fit, wild animals furs, tracts of land, and even houses that are now collecting cobwebs. All he wanted was his parent’s company, but they are giving him everything instead of what he really wanted. Even at the age of eight, he knew the true meaning of  loneliness and hatred. His cousin and her group of friends would taunt the fact that Lord Kim’s parents are never around and it turns into something about Lord Kim himself.

           

Over the next few days, Lord Kim told Taemin everything. Afterwards, he would walk home with an unexplainable lightness in his heart. He hadn’t felt this free in years! On the fifteenth day, Lord Kim skipped over to their meeting area, but he wasn’t there. Taemin was always there before he was always bearing a tiny gift of sort, varying from a firefly to a rose petal. He kept his treasures in a box under his bed. He went over to the grocery store a few paces away.

           

“Ajumma, do you know where Taemin is?” he asked the elderly shop keeper.

           

“You didn’t hear? The Duke V bought off the hills and ordered them to leave. My dear, Taemin left this morning,” A dark look came to Lord Kim’s face.

           

“What is Duke V’s full name?” Lord Kim muttered darkly. The shopkeeper actually shuddered.

           

“Um.. I think it is Lee Onew -”

           

“Lee Onew….”

           

“Oh good, you’re awake. Now you can help out in the kitchens.” Jonghyun said. Lord Kim got up with a start. Jonghyun cracked a smile.

           

“I am just jesting with you. Of course you need your rest. Why did you mutter that bastard’s Onew’s name?” Kibum gave Jonghyun a blank look. “Look, you don’t need to tell me-”

           

“I had a friend named Taemin a long time ago. We played together for only two fortnights. That bastard Onew bought the hills next to my aunt’s home. Taemin had to move somewhere else. Now I don’t know where he is,” Lord Kim said in a nonchalant voice. There was no response from Jonghyun.  Lord Kim cocked an eyebrow at Jonghyun. Jonghyun shrugged.

           

“Well, I’m not that surprised. This is typical of that bastard Onew,” Xavier shrugged again. Kibum gave him a look that said Well? What else about Onew should I know about?

           

“He really is a bastard, you know. His mother was a e. The only reason society tolerated him was because his father was the all mighty, all powerful Duke V, and now he is the all mighty, all- never mind. You get the general idea.” Lord Kim cracked a smile at Captain Xavier’s flustered face. For the first time in, well, a long time, Lord Kim wanted to playfully make fun of someone. Too bad that person had to be Captain Jonghyun.

           

Oh, so now the former all mighty, all powerful Duke V gave his title his bastard instead of his legitimate son. That means that Onew is now the all mighty, all-” Kibum was cut off by Captain Jonghyun.   

           

“Don’t continue, or I’ll throw you off this ship,” Jonghyun threatened. Lord Kim paid no heed and continued. “-powerful Duke V while you’re just lowly Marquess K,”

           

THAT’S IT,” Captain Jonghyun chased Kibum around his cabin. With his blond hair flying behind him, he giggled and escaped his reach. Wait. When was the last time I giggled? Too long ago. They playfully chased each other around until Lord Kim bumped into a stout woman carrying a large tin pot filled with a thin, watery liquid. The liquid splashed out of the pot when they bumped into each other.

           

“Oh Imma wery saw-wry! (translation: Oh, I’m very sorry! )” The lady had a surprisingly light and childish voice, despite her wizened form.  Lord Kim rudely took an double take. She looked like she was…toothless, with an exception of crooked dentures . Well… Lord Kim thought. She IS wearing an apron… a dirty one, but nonetheless….

           

“Hello, Toothless. How is dinner coming along?” Captain Jonghyun asked while straightening himself out.

           

“Wery fwine me say swo mesewelf, fwank fu Cwapt‘n (translation: Very fine, if I say so myself, thank you Captain),” Toothless beamed and turned to Lord Kim. “Fu muft bwe Kwibumn. Fu hwelp me win kitchwen! (translation: You must be Kibum! You help me in kitchen!),” With that, Toothless dumped her pot in Captain Jonghyun’s arms (and specifically told him not to give it to the crew until after they finish their gruel) and dragged Lord Kim into an incredibly small galley. Lord Kim was surprised that food could be cooked in here at all. Back home, his kitchen was at least twenty times the size of this galley.

           

Toothless suddenly put a basket of slightly rotten carrots and a knife in front of Lord Kim. He knew what to do. Haltingly, Lord Kim picked up the knife and chopped the carrot. Toothless nodded happily and went off to boil the gruel. It started with Toothless asking a question and Lord Kim slowly answered. Then, it turned into many questions and answers. It evolved into a conversation! Eventually Lord Kim was laughing so hard, he had to stop chopping carrots to clutch his side while tears were running down his face. Lord Kim surprised himself. When was the last time I laughed this hard? Even longer then giggling! Lord Kim was even more shocked by this revelation. I promise myself to laugh more, to open myself into the world of emotion.