CHAPTER IV: Terrible Mistakes

Skin, Wings, Fangs, Scales
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Oh, Gansan!” 

 

Yongsun glanced up and saw Moon Byul sat on a tree branch. 

 

Moon Byul leaned against the trunk of the cherry blossom tree and moved a few branches out of the way. Her golden eyes examined Yongsun's blue irises with adoration. Whether it was from up here or over there, Yongsun's beauty remained perpetual. 

 

“Moon Byul, bring yourself down. You will break that branch with your weight!” 

 

Instead of worry, a coy smile appeared in Moon Byul's lips. “Are you afraid that I'll get hurt, Gansan?” 

 

“No. Why would I be?” Yongsun scoffed. “And why do you still insist on calling me that?” She never began to understand, or even questioned, why the gumiho called her "Gansan". 

 

“I cannot tell you. You would find my thinking strange and insulting once you find out.” 

 

“Is it an insult that you hide beneath a warm voice?” Yongsun crossed her arms. 

 

“I have no need or desire to insult you, Gansan.” Moon Byul turned her gaze to the night sky. “Why don't you join me up here, Gansan? The moon is beautiful tonight.” 

 

“How certain are you that the branch will hold the two of us?” 

 

“Very certain, Gansan,” Moon Byul answered. “This branch is twice the size of my arm.” 

 

“Your arm is not huge.” 

 

“But it is sturdy,” replied Moon Byul. 

 

“Hmm.” Yongsun shrugged her shoulder and lifted her right foot off the ground. With her left foot, she leapt into the air and stepped onto the branch. In one swift moment, she sat down, legs closed and hands clasped together. “It is not very ladylike to sit on a tree.. But it is pleasant to watch the moon.” 

 

“Nothing could ever beat its beauty..” Moon Byul stated. Except you. She stole a glance at Yongsun's pale face. When Yongsun turned her head, she averted her gaze. 

 

Yongsun was too beautiful to be true. The moonlight embraced her figure, clad in a red hanbok. Moon Byul admired the vampire, as she watched over the land. 

 

The cherry tree's stray branch offered a sight of Yeongdong. The village was still, like this tree that stood on a hill. Below was an earth that spring covered with green grass and fallen petals. 

 

A soft breeze shook the fragile flowers and carried them in its long journey. Moon Byul reached out to remove the petals that nested on Yongsun's hair. 

 

“Yongsun..” She gulped. 

 

“Yes?” Yongsun's irises glowed with stains of crimson. For a second, she thought she could hear her heart beating. But she dismissed the impossible. 

 

Moon Byul caught a glimpse of her hanbok's green silk. Her secret burned in . It had never been so tempting to tell someone something. 

 

“What is the matter, Moon Byul?” The question broke the silence, as Yongsun blinked and her eyes returned to blue. 

 

“Yongsun..” The truth began its climb out of Moon Byul's mouth. “.. This branch cannot hold the both of us for much longer.” 

 

“I have told you so,” Yongsun replied. Why did she agree to this in the first place? 

 

Moon Byul moved an inch closer to the vampire. Her ears picked up the sound of wood cracking louder with every passing second. She leaned back and uttered, “Jump, Gansan.” 

 

The gumiho descended, her back facing the ground. Yongsun followed out of courtesy. She closed her eyes, and felt the air surround her. 

 

A short moment later, Yongsun found herself in Moon Byul's embrace. 

 

Moon Byul looked up at Yongsun with a grin spread across her face. What is one broken rib in comparison to catching to catching Yongsun? The branch above them seemed to have stopped cracking. 

 

Yongsun blinked plenty of times. Her palms were now on the ground, her knee on Moon Byul's abdomen. Yet the gumiho remained glad in expression. What was wrong with this creature? “I have not seen someone so joyous after being a fall breaker.” 

 

Moon Byul's grin only widened. 

 

“Fox,” Yongsun muttered. She got up and dusted her clothes. “You are silly, Moon Byul,” she remarked, crimson tainting her irises once more. 

 

“Am I now?” Moon Byul met Yongsun's eyes as her hair turned silver like the moon. She stood up and placed her hand over her broken rib. Her palm glowed gold as her pain eased into oblivion. 

 

“You have not changed in a century. The ladies must enjoy your company.” 

 

Yet I only enjoy yours. Moon Byul smiled despite the lie that Yongsun uttered. She had lost all interest to even look at humans since she met the vampire before her. 

 

“Yongsun!”​ 

 

A voice loud enough to drive away a resting owl reached the hill. Echoes traversed the darkness. Then the face of Nam Yoon-do appeared before Yongsun and Moon Byul. 

 

Yongsun rushed to welcome Yoon-do with open arms. Moon Byul's smile disappeared at the scene of the lovers embracing each other. 

 

The gumiho grasped the grass, waiting and hoping that it'd be over. Witnessing Yongsun smile because of a human.. Hearing her heart beating at the same pace as Yoon-do's— Moon Byul may as well have swallowed poison. 

 

Yongsun turned to Moon Byul, her hand holding Yoon-do's. “We must go, Moon Byul. Yoon-do's men await their departure.” 

 

Yoon-do's uniform reminded Moon Byul. His duty was the only reason why Yongsun returned. If it were not for the human being a soldier, Yongsun would not come back to Yeongdong. 

 

Moon Byul nodded her head. Despite her dislike for Yoon-do, she respected Yongsun's decisions. She gave Yoon-do a knowing glance, telling him to take care of Yongsun. 

 

Yoon-do returned the gesture and held Yongsun by the waist. 

 

A dreadful quiet engulfed Moon Byul's existence after Yongsun left. Why did Yongsun have to take her heart with her? In the midst of the silence, Wheein appeared. 

 

“Even a fox is a fool in love,” Wheein pointed out. 

 

“You've been here this whole time?” Moon Byul turned around and asked. 

 

“Yes. And I must say, Byul. I admire your discipline. I do have a question for you.” Wheein's eyes glowed as she concealed her wings. 

 

“Ask, Wheein.” Moon Byul removed the petals that the ground entangled with her silver hair. 

 

“Do you ever wish you were in Yoon-do's place?” 

 

Moon Byul's breath faltered. “Is that even a question, Wheein? It would be a lie if I say no.” 

 

“I can grant your wish, Byul.” The fairy's eyes glowed brighter. “You don't have to suffer.” 

 

“I know, Wheein.” A faint smile touched Moon Byul's lips. “But I have no right to decide for Yongsun. Seeing her happy is enough. It is the truth I have lived with for a hundred years. I'll live with it for hundreds more.” 

 

“Then should I go with Yongsun? If she ever misses you, I will not hesitate to tell you,” Wheein suggested with eagerness. 

 

“Will you protect her, Wheein? Watch over her in my stead.” 

 

“I will, Byul. You can trust me with that.” 

 

Trust.. 

 

It was wrong for her to break Yongsun's trust. Moon Byul understood that. Still, she couldn't help but feel slighted. Did she not deserve a chance to explain herself? She had no intention of ever doing anything that would hurt Yongsun. 

 

The again, Yongsun was her ex now. The bitter truth was difficult to swallow, even more so with what she had observed earlier. 

 

Moon Byul parked her car in front of the mansion. With a sigh, she closed the door of her vehicle and headed to the door. 

 

“Good afternoon, Miss Moon.”

 

Seung-wan bowed before Moon Byul's presence. 

 

“Where is it, Seung-wan?” 

 

Moon Byul looked around for a box. 

 

“If you are referring to the package sent by Miss Yongsun, it is in your room, Miss Moon.” 

 

“I see. Thank you for bringing it there, Seung-wan.” 

 

“Happy to be of service, Ms. Moon,” the sylph responded with a soft bow. 

 

Moon Byul rummaged through her clothes as she sat on her bed. She had placed the box on her sheets, and she set her mind to finding the trousers that pocketed the silver bullet. 

 

Brown, no. Black, also no. Red, still no. Blue? Moo

Please log in to read the full chapter