Anesthesia

WINRINA one shot collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Karina leaned casually against her car, arms crossed, her expression conveying a hint of annoyance as she waited for someone clearly running behind schedule.

“Rina…” Winter approached in a half sprint, clutching her strap bag, “I’m sorry…” She cupped both hands over her chest, offering an apologetic smile.

“You owe me a coffee,” Karina playfully pressed a finger on Winter’s nose, as if activating a button.

The touch tickled Winter’s nose, eliciting a giggle. “I know, I know… Americano, the grande one.”

Karina opened the passenger door for Winter, gesturing towards it, “Get in. We're already late for your appointment.”

Winter smiled from her seat while fastening the seatbelt. Karina’s thoughtful gestures always made her feel special.

“Why do you always drag me along? Don’t you have other friends to annoy?” Karina asked once she settled into the driver's seat.

“Nope, you are my only friend…” Winter replied with a playful grin, “…who conveniently owns a car.”

“Nice, I’m basically your Uber driver.” Karina snickered.

“Eeeyyy, because you are my best friend,” Winter reassured, giving Karina's arm a friendly pat, “Who else should I go with?”

In reality, Karina was secretly hoping for a different response from Winter, an inkling that Winter might see her in a different light someday, beyond just friendship.

“Yeah, right. Just don’t go with anyone else,” Karina blurted out, immediately regretting how possessive she sounded. “Who else could handle your tantrum?” She tried to cover up her momentary lapse with a playful smirk.

“I won’t go, if it's not with you.” Winter affirmed, her words carrying a sincerity that went beyond the casual banter.

Karina fell into a sudden silence, unsure of how to respond. Her brows furrowed slightly as she pondered the words, trying to find the right thing to say. She chose to remain silent, focusing on the road ahead as she continued to drive.

 

*

 

 

After half an hour of driving, they pulled up at the dental clinic. Winter handles the registration and paperwork at the reception desk, leaving Karina to lounge in the waiting area.

“How long will the procedure take?” Karina asked once Winter joined her after completing the admin tasks.

“They said it's an hour-long procedure.”

“Alright, I’ll be waiting here.”

“You can go hang out at the café nearby, though.”

“Nah, it’s okay. I’ll stay here,” Karina shrugged. It wasn't that she wasn't in the mood to hang out elsewhere; she just wanted to be nearby in case Winter needed her.

“Alright, suit yourself then,” Winter said before the staff called her name for her turn, and she left Karina alone.

Karina attempted to fend off boredom by reading health-themed magazines on the rack that were already collecting dust, but she quickly moved on to the mobile games. After 45 minutes, a staff member approached her in the waiting room.

“Hello, Miss. Your friend's procedure is done. She's in the recovery room, still under anesthesia.”

“Oh, okay. Can I see her now?”

“Yes, sure. It would be better if someone accompanied her. Let me take you there.”

Karina entered the room quietly, finding only Winter. She observed her friend, who looked cute like a chipmunk with swollen cheeks, yet appeared vulnerable. Not one to miss a moment, Karina discreetly snapped a photo of Winter.

Blackmail might come in handy later, Karina thought, stifling a quiet giggle.

Suddenly, Winter’s eyes fluttered open and she began babbling incoherently. Unsure of what to do, Karina promptly called for a nurse.

Shortly after, a nurse arrived to check on Winter.

“Oh, you're a pretty nurse. Will you be my girlfriend?” Winter unconsciously babbled, looking up at the nurse.

“Thank you. I appreciate that,” the nurse calmly responded, appearing accustomed to such confessions from patients under anesthesia.

The nurse turned to Karina, whose face betrayed a mix of confusion and amusement.

“She’s still in an unconscious state, and patients might experience temporary memory loss or confusion as a side effect of the anesthesia. It’s normal, don’t worry. After 15 minutes of resting, she can go home with you,” the nurse explained, addressing Winter's condition.

“Oh, that’s a relief. Thank you,” Karina smiled with relief.

“What are you saying?” Winter asked the nurse, her speech slightly unclear due to the gauze pad in .

“Oh, nothing. I’m talking to your friend,” the nurse responded calmly.

“My friend? Who?”

“Uhm, me?” Karina stepped up beside the nurse.

“Oh, my girlfriend is here,” Winter cheerfully said while Karina's eyes widened, agape.

“She is my girlfriend. I love her so much,” Winter declared before turning to the nurse, “I can’t date you, nurse, sorry I have a girlfriend. She’s hot, isn’t she?”

The nurse giggled, and Karina still had a shocked expression for the sudden confession from her best friend.

“No, we’re not dating,” Karina mouthed quietly to the nurse while shaking her head.

“Yeah, you guys make a good couple,” the nurse played along before politely leaving the room.

“I knooooww…right, babe?” Winter said gleefully.

The two were left alone in the recovery room. There was barely any coherence in Winter’s mumbles, but she continued.

“Kawrinaa, I think we should get married.”

“Oh wow, that fast? We just got together 5 minutes ago,” Karina chuckled, amused by the unexpected turn of events. She didn't anticipate having a productive conversation with someone under anesthesia.

“Yeah, we’ll be the cutest couple ever,” Winter dreamily stated.

“I know,” Karina replied matter-of-factly.

“I love you so much. You are stunning and funny.” Winter smiled as wide as she could, still limited in its ability to open.

“Thank you, though,” Karina responded while laughing half-heartedly.

“Seriously, I love you with all my heart, Kawrinaa.” Winter began crying profusely, “But we're both girls, and I’m scared,”

Winter's sudden emotional turn and heartfelt confession caught Karina completely off guard.

“Alright…, alright… Don’t cry, okay?” Karina patted Winter’s shoulder to calm her down, but Winter took Karina’s hand in hers and lightly squeezed.

“I’ve liked you since the first grade, you know? I always wanted to be near you. You are so pretty, Kawrinaa,” Winter giggl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter