Freshman

Day by Day

Finishing her morning routine with her mum in the kitchen as she packs her bag waiting for Ohm to come and get her. Ohm and Anda go to school together every Monday and Tuesday because they both have morning practice and as usual they’re going to bike to school. On Wednesdays, she usually goes to school with Atom and Pin if they don’t have a morning meeting. On the other hand, Ohm, Atom and Anda always walk home together on Thursday. It’s like they’re unwritten rules. No matter what time they’re finished with their own task they’re going home together and she’s fine with it. Thursday has become their “get together - day” , the only day in the week where there is a high chance of no schedule for either of them. So we usually hang out around the ice cream shop before actually going home.

 

“Good morning!" Ready for practice?”

 

“Morning! I'm so ready but I'm more excited for later to meet all the first years and I heard that there was a genius freshman in your team Anda”

 

“I did hear she was a genius and that she made a name for herself in her 3. year of middle school, so it makes me a bit curious about her and how she really is”

 

Anda and Ohm took their bikes and began to ride to school. It was still early in the morning so there weren’t many people or cars so they rode with ease. When they reached the front gate, they said good morning to the security guard and went directly to the locker room.

 

The school gym is big enough to have both the girls and the boys team to practice at the same time. A big net is cutting the gym in half, so both teams can have a court to play.

 

The practice went smoothly and the coach reminded them that later today is the start of the first years tryouts and they need to act as seniors from now on. 

 

The first year's tryouts are 3 days long and only 5-6 first years are accepted. Because of that low number they need to hold 3 days long tryouts to minimize the chance to skip any hidden talent among the first year. 

 

After practice they all went to their individual class and had normal classes. Anda´s schedule for today was not that bad and she had Ohm beside her and it made her class not boring and she could get help if she didn't understand something. Before she knew it, it was already lunch time and as usual they went to the cafeteria to buy some lunch. As soon as they went inside she could hear someone shouting her name. It was Pin and it looks like she is sitting with a few other people from the student council. TSC´s two assistants, Pam and Bonus who are also a second year, and Jenny also a second year. She is not a part of any club or TSC but she is one of the top 5 in school and she helps a lot in TSC because she is friends with a lot of them. 

 

 Anda knew who they were but never really talked with them before because she never really hung out with TSC other than when she was with Atom. 

 

“ANDA! OHM! sit here, we got a table!” Pin shouted across the room getting the attention from everybody and started to look at us. 

 

“Hey Pin, sure we can sit here with you? if there's not enough space we can just find another table” Anda said as she looked around the table to find any space for her and Ohm. “Ofcouse there is enough space. Here sit beside me and Pam move a little so Ohm can sit there” They did what Pin said and started to eat. It was a bit awkward at first, but soon enough they all enjoyed their meals and started to chat between them. TSC asked about this year's chance of winning the championship for both the girls and boys team. Anda and Ohm said with confidence and pride that this year they had a high chance of winning and they of course would do everything they had to achieve this goal. Anda mentioned that she along with the captain of the team would be in the tryouts to look and to push the first year.  

 

TSC also told them there's a few students who they were hoping to join and if not they were ready to bribe them with either academics or food because who can reject tutor/notes from your seniors or foods of your choice. You're not normal if you can reject both. It looks like the first year this year is not going to be like any other year. Maybe they could surpass last year's first year. 

 

Anda, Atom and Ohm took the school by surprise by surpassing the seniors like a storm and not only in the athletic field but also in academics. Anda and Ohm didn't need the 3 days tryout and became one of the first strings of the team in just one day. On the other hand Atom made a name for herself to be the only student with a full mark on their entrance exam and her grads never went under top 3 not to forget Ohm never went under top 10. The school's most popular trio and they were childhood friends.

 

They chatted a bit more before the school bell rang their cue to go back to the classroom to get ready for the next subject. 

 

On their way to the classroom they bump into a girl who looks a bit lost causing her to fall but Anda had a fast reflex and reached her before she fell down. 

 

“Sorry, are you okay?” Anda asked the girl looking at her with a worried face, she regretted running in the hallway just because she was late. She went to the vending machine to buy some cold water before class, but because of the cue she was late causing her to choose to run in the hallway. 

 

“I'm okay and I'm sorry too, I should be more aware of my surroundings. I tend to lose track of my surroundings when I am thinking” The girl said bubbly. When Anda got a closer look at the girl she noticed that the girl was shorter than her and her bangs made her look very cute. 

 

“No no, It's my fault . I shouldn't be running in the hallway even if I am late. So don't say sorry”

 

“Then we are both at fault, we were both inattentive,  in that way we don't have to say sorry to each other” the girl said while smiling. As she said that the last bell rang and indicated that the class will start and if they don't go now they both would probably be late for their class.

 

“Okay, If you say so…. I need to go now … bye” Anda said as she gave a big sigh giving in to the girl and started to power walk towards her classroom. When she was about to turn around the corner she heard someone shout and she turned back to see who It was. A tall girl came running to the same girl she just bumped into carrying two bags. The tall girl looked a bit worried and started to scold the small girl but the small girl was just smiling as she scolded. 

 

Anda turned back towards her class and continued to power walk but she didn't make it. She got scolded by her teacher for being late. 

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

“!!THE NAME IS ANDA, SECOND YEAR AND THE ACE OF THE TEAM!! PLEASED TO MEET YOU ALL AND I HOPE YOU ALL DO WELL FOR THE NEXT 3 DAYS OF THE TRYOUTS” Anda shouted loud and clear for everybody to hear giving her an intimidating aura around her. She was not normally this intimidating but she needs to be to push the first year to their best and to show them that they need to be focused and serious if they wanna be on the team. 

 

Their school is pretty famous for their basketball team because they would always qualify to be in the championship and be one of the top 4. Last year they lost in the final by a few points against their rival school and that is why their goal this year is to beat that school and win the championship. 

 

The tryouts are 2 hours long where the first hour is more focused on the individual performance. Their ball handle, dribble etc. and there were a few girls who stood out, but only one of them shined. One could tell that this person is talented. Everything she did was so graceful that she made it look like a child's play and her height is perfect. She is maybe taller than Anda and Anda is the second highest in the team. 

 

Anda keeps an eye on her especially in the 2 hours of the tryouts where teamwork is focused. This section is going to tell the coaches if one has the ability to work with others and how one can communicate. Again this tall girl supasses the other girls without problems. She dominated the court and no one went against her and just followed her. This made Anda Very excited, too much so she asked her coach if she could play against her. 

 

“I know you are too excited when you see a good player, but this is the first year's tryouts. Wait for the last 10 min and maybe then you could play” the coach said and as the coach turned around to face the players again he was smiling for himself.

 

Anda being too thrilled and only focused on the tall girl. She couldn't wait anymore and went to her assistant coach to ask more about this tall girl because she knows almost every good player in the tournament  both in High School and in middle School and she doesnt know this tall girl. It irks her not knowing 

 

“Coach __  who is that tall girl… she is one of the best players I ever seen. Her technique, understanding the game and how she controls the court. She is one outstanding player” Anda said as she praised the tall girl non stop while she was smiling from ear to ear.

 

The coach could tell that Anda got hooked on the talented first year and just imagining how Anda and the tall girl could dominate the court. There was no telling. This is probably the best duo the school will ever have.

 

“Her name is Noon, 173 cm tall and you probably don’t know her because she just got back here from America. She never played a single official game in our country only in America” 

 

“It makes sense, that’s why I can’t recall ever playing against her or seen her and it also makes sense why she is extremely talented in basketball” 

 

“Anda! Get ready if you wanna play! You have the court for the last 10 min of this game!" The head coach called her and Anda couldn’t be more excited than this. She sprinted across the gym to get change, not wasting any time.

 

When Anda stepped inside the court, the atmosphere changed drastically. It went from a tense game with Noon to a more intimidating game with Anda because of her overflowing aura of confidence. It wasn't surprising that Andas' team was winning but it wasn't that much. You could tell Noon did everything she could to try and stop Anda and she did  for a bit in the start but the last few minutes of the game Anda was unstoppable. Even when Anda has double … triple cover, she could still get the ball, dribble across the court and guide her team to score. 

 

“THAT'S IT FOR TODAY!! I WILL SEE YOU ALL FOR TOMORROW'S SECONDTH DAY OF THE TRYOUTS - Noon and Anda come to my office after your shower” the head coach yielded.

 

Noon and Anda looked at each other and while Noon didn't have any idea why, Anda had a hunch about what it was about. During the clean up Noon couldn't ignore the fact that while she was super tired after their match. Anda on the other hand didn't seem tired at all. Yes she was sweating but even right after their game Anda didn't seem tired or looked like she just finished an intimidating game.

 

“You know ~ You stare at me so much I could misunderstand you thinking you wanna confess to me” Anda said laughing while looking at Noon. She could feel the stare since the end of the game and Anda tried to ignore it at first but couldn't help to comment about it when noon was being so obvious staring at her. 

 

“How …. Have you ever played in America or are you actually a pro player?” Noon said seriously and ignored Andas comment.

 

“Well …. I'm a basketball nerd. Since I was little Ireally liked basketball soo….whenever I had a chance to play I would and no never played in America and no again. Though I would like to be a pro in the future and represent our country in olympics” 

 

“Wow, seriously I never played with or against someone like you. You ritialy dominated the court and here I thought our country's level was too low” Noon said surprised. She spent her middle school in America specializing in girls basketball to expand her basketball knowledge, to get better and to have a network within the WBA community. The 3 years she spent in America made her realize that her country was way underdeveloped and it made her look down at the system, the teams and the players. It was what she predicted in this tryout until Anda stepped up. If Anda was this good and their team didn't win the championship, that would mean that there are other players and teams who are much better than her.

 

“Wow you really underestimated our system and the teams here comparing it to America” 

 

“Sorry to destroy your little buble but our school is only one of the top 4 in the championship. That would mean that there's at least 3 other schools who are the same or better than our team and only 2 teams have remained in this position in the last 10 years.Our school and our rival school. Another thing.. It's that how you talk to your senior?” Anda said, giving Noon a cocky smile reminding her of her position. Anda was her senior.

 

“I AM SOORY!! THE NAME IS NOON AND I AM A FIRST YEAR STUDENT. THANK YOU FOR THE GAME SENIOR ANDA!!” Noon shouted standing straight up and hands behind her back. 

 

“It's fine -  let's get a shower and head to the office after”  Anda said walking towards the locker room smiling. Anyone could tell she had fun today.

 

When Anda and Noon went inside the office they started greeting everybody in there. The head coach, both assistant coach and the team captain. They informed Anda and Noon that they changed the plan for day 2 of the tryouts. Like today they want Anda to play the last 10 minutes but this time they would team up.

 

“Well…see you tomorrow for the second day of the tryouts. It was fun playing against you” Anda said happily as she started to walk backwards. 

 

“Yes senior! Thank you again for the good game and see you tomorrow” Noon said while giving Anda a small bow to show respect.

 

Both Anda and Noon couldn't wait for tomorrow, they were both excited a little bit more than before because this time they would team up. Both girls were lost in their own fantasy. Just thinking about how they could play helping each other out and trying maybe something only they could do.