What was it like to be loved in return?

Three Questions (Of Memories & Lullabies)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What was it like to be loved in return?

It was like being seen after a perpetual darkness. To be heard after a lifetime of silence.”- Lang Leav

 

 

Jiyong is relieved that the kids are still in good mood even after the long ride going to his in-laws. After going to the columbarium, they diverted their attention in singing random songs inside the car. The kids cheer the loudest when it is his turn to sing. They love his voice so much. Jiyeon once told him that she cannot sleep without him singing her a song.

 

They arrived just in time for lunch and the grandparents are delighted to see the kids. Jiyong’s father-in-law prepared a mini playground in the veranda for the kids to play later on and his mother-in-law prepared a feast, telling him that he can take some cooked food once they leave tomorrow.

 

 

“Jiyong, how are you?”

 

“Not so good, father. Honestly when we arrived a while ago, I feel like I miss her more. We went to the columbarium today. The kids cried a lot and it breaks my heart to see that.”

 

“We need to be strong, not for ourselves but for the kids. The kids remind me so much of my Taeyeon. Harin’s personality is just like her mother, Taeyong is kind just like his mom, Taeyang is sweet and affectionate just like our Taeyeon and Jiyeon, she is the small version of her mother. Every time I look at Taeyeon’s portrait in the living room, I can’t help but cry. Your mother-in-law, she sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night, sobbing while holding Taeyeon’s photo. I cannot imagine how hard it is for you and the kids either.”

 

“It’s hard to go on without her.”

 

“Remember the time when you told us that you will be marrying Taeyeon? I was stubborn that time, not trusting you well enough and I am sorry for that. Through the years you prove to me that you are worthy and reliable man. The time that you and Taeyeon are together, that’s the time I can sincerely say that she is happy. Thank you, Jiyong, thank you for making my daughter feel loved and thank you for making her happy. I can only pay you back by helping you with the kids. Do not worry about their studies. They can choose whatever field they like in the future.”

 

Jiyong and Taeyeon’s father had tears in their eyes when they reminisce about Taeyeon. His father in law seems as hurt as he is but he is trying his best to hide it.

 

“Appa, can you close your eyes please?”

“Why, Jiyeon-ah?”

“I draw something, and I want to show it to you as a surprise. Please?”

“Okay, anything for my Jiyeon-ah.”

“Here it is, Appa. You can now open your eyes.”

“Oh, you drew this?”

“Yes, this is Appa. You are singing and Omma is holding your hand and this is Harin eonnie, Taeyong oppa, Taeyang oppa and me. We are watching you sing.”

“Can grandpa see the drawing too?”

“Of course, Grandpa!”

“Wow! Our Jiyeon is very good.”

“Omma is good in drawing that’s why I am good too.”

 

Jiyong and his father-in-law just laugh at Jiyeon’s comment. The little girl keeps on talking about her mother. She keeps on telling her father that when her mother comes back, she will not let her leave again.

 

“Harabeoji, do you know where Omma is? I miss Omma. I thought that when we came here in your house, she will also meet us here.”

“Jiyeon-ah…”

 

Jiyong knew that she will cry again in no time, so he salvages the situation by carrying Jiyeon and hugging her tight. When his other kids saw the situation, they dropped what they are doing and went to him and Jiyeon and they shared a big bear hug.

 

 

After the sumptuous dinner, Jiyong and the kids prepare for bedtime. Harin helped her sister in taking a bath while Taeyong helped Taeyang. Jiyong is busy preparing the bed when he saw another set of Taeyeon’s childhood picture hidden below the nightstand. He stops what he’s doing and browse the album. The pictures are consisting of her elementary until junior high memories. She is indeed a beauty. Harin and Jiyeon resembles her a lot. Taeyeon-ah, do you miss us? We are here at your parents’ house and it reminds me so much of you. We miss you so much.

 

“Appa!”

“Oh! Taeyang-ah, you scare me!”

“Appa, can you help me dry my hair?”

“Sure! Okay let’s go to the bathroom and blow dry your hair.”

 “Appa, I think I don’t want to have long hair anymore. I want to cut my hair.”

“These are not long, just a bit curly.”

“That’s it! I don’t want because my classmates told me I look like a girl.”

“Aigoo, okay, when we go back to Seoul, I will accompany you to the barber.”

“But Appa, Omma will not like it if we cut my hair. She always tells me that I am cute with my curly hair.”

“Omma will understand, Taeyang-ah. It’s okay.”

“You know what Appa, I heard Harin noona and Jiyeon talking a while ago. They said they miss Omma even more now that we are going to sleep in her room. Do you miss Omma too?”

“So much. I miss your mom so much.”

“Do you think, if I will be a good boy, like really, really good, do you think Santa Claus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter