Chapter 2

Siren's Song

“My name is Geonhak. Can you sit up?” The male asks, and Dongju nods again.

The human named Geonhak holds out one hand to Dongju, who blinks for a moment at the hand before grasping it and feeling heavy as he’s pulled up to a sitting position.

Dongju tries to take a deep breath, choking as the thick Surface air clogs his throat and lungs. He starts coughing, and Geonhak pats his back as Dongju slowly stops coughing, his lungs slowly acclimating to the dense oxygen rich air.

A bottle of what looks like water is in front of Dongju as he catches his breath, taking in small, short breaths to acclimate to the heavier air. “Here, take small sips of water, it should help you.” Geonhak says, uncapping the bottle.

Dongju nods again, taking the bottle slowly, tipping it to his mouth and taking a slow sip, getting used to the feeling of water in his mouth and swallowing, grimacing at the strange sensation of the water going down his throat.

“Better?”

“Ye-yeah.” Dongju coughs once more as he tries to speak. He takes another slow sip of the water, just taking a moment to center himself now that he’s in this strange new world.

“So, you can nod for yes, shake your head for no. I’m curious, how did you end up washing up ashore? Was it a boating accident?” Geonhak asks, watching the blue haired man breathing slowly.

Dongju shakes his head, taking another sip of water, his senses telling him he’s starting to acclimate enough to try speaking without coughing. “I fell into the water.” He hoarsely speaks, internally grimacing at how rough his voice sounds. It’s also a lot higher in pitch than he remembers, but it could be from the change going from the depths of the Ocean to the Surface.

Geonhak hums. “Do you not know how to swim?”

Dongju shakes his head. “Riptide.” He lies.

Geonhak looks out at the Ocean in front of them, staring for a moment like he’s contemplating Dongju’s words. “The water has been pretty rough today. They say there’s a storm coming.” He looks back at Dongju. “Do you have a cell phone or do you need me to call someone for you?”

Dongju opens his mouth to answer when he hears someone in the distance. “Xion!!” A tall male with dark hair is running down the beach, a worried look on his face as he comes closer. Finally he stops a few feet away from them, breathing heavy as his hair falls into his doe like eyes. “Xion, are you ok?”

Dongju knew there would be someone waiting for him on the Surface, but for the life of him, he couldn’t remember the name. He blinks up at the tall man, noting a delicate chain around his neck, and the Siren symbol dangling from it. “I…think so?” He feels like he can breathe easier, but his voice still sounds strange to his own ears.

Geonhak watches their interaction carefully. “I’m not sure how much sea water he inhaled, but he should get checked out. He was coughing pretty badly when trying to talk. I gave him some water, which seems to have helped a bit, but he should still get checked to make sure he’s ok.” Geonhak tells the newcomer.

The other man nods. “I’ll take your advice to heart. Come Xion, lets go get you checked out with the doctor. I don’t want your….father to get upset that I wasn’t making sure you were safe out here.” He turns to Geonhak. “Thank you for finding him and making sure he’s ok…”

“Kim Geonhak.” He stands up, brushing the sand from his knees. “And you are?”

“Lee Seoho” Seoho shakes Geonhak’s hand. “Thank you again. Xion, do you think you can stand?”

Dongju flexes his feet, feeling the sensation strange, but oddly similar to when he would flex his fins back under the water. “I may need some help.” He says, looking up at Seoho.

Seoho comes closer to him, positioning his body so he can reach down and grab Dongju’s hands, pulling him up to a standing position. Dongju sways a moment as he is unused to not having water all around himself. “How about walking?” Geonhak asks, watching how Dongju sways as Seoho wraps an arm around Dongju’s waist.

Dongju takes a tentative step forward as Seoho steps with him. Its shaky at best, but Dongju at least manages that much.

Slowly they cross the sandy beach, Dongju gradually gaining strength and confidence in walking on the Surface as Geonhak trails behind them, ready to help if needed. Seoho leads him to a dark contraption that he vaguely remembers hearing was called a car. As they approach, a female comes out of the car, worry on her face as she rushes to open the back door. “Xion-shii.” She spoke formally. “Thank the Gods you are ok.”

Dongju hasn’t the slightest clue who she is, he’s sure once he’s in the car, she will introduce herself to him. “Sorry for making you worry.” He says softly. Seoho goes to help him into the back of the vehicle, and he looks at Geonhak. “Thank you, for making sure I was ok. I’m indebted to you.”

Geonhak blushes, and Dongju’s heart thunders in his chest at how cute Geonhak looks when blushing. “I’m glad you are ok.” He hold out a card. “This is my card; in case the doctors need to know how you looked when I found you.”

Dongju takes it carefully. “Thank you.” He smiles at Geonhak as Seoho closes the door.

Seoho turns to Geonhak. “Seriously, thank you for saving him. We are in your debt. Should you need anything, call this number and we will help you in any way we can.” Seoho holds out a card.

Geonhak takes it, studying the card, surprise on his face. “Thank you, Seoho. I really do hope he’s ok. He seemed really out of it when I found him.”

Seoho nods. “Thank you for letting me know that. We are going to head to the doctors now. Please be safe.” Seoho bows and turns to the car.

Geonhak backs up, watching the car leave, a frown on his face. “Son Xion.” He mutters, glancing down at the card in his hand. The fancy gold lettering on the black card screams at him. “Son Enterprises.” He shakes his head. “I just saved a chaebol. Crazy.”

--

Dongju leans back in the seat, feeling the grit from the sand down the back of his clothes. The car will have to be detailed, but that’s a problem for later. He takes another breath, feeling his lungs expanding more and more, and he doesn’t feel as heavy as he did when he first woke up on the beach. Seoho turns to him from the front, where the female is driving. “Prince Xion, my apologies that I wasn’t there when you washed up on shore. My name, as I said before, is Lee Seoho. I am designated to be your servant while you are up here on the Surface.”

“Are you…?” Dongju asks, before his throat clogs on the air, and he coughs harshly for a moment.

“I am not a Siren, but my family was among the first who helped the Siren Nation with their first Pilgrimage, and we also help maintain the Library of Siren Knowledge.” Seoho responds. “Now that you are here, our first stop is to the doctor to make sure you’ve acclimated properly to the Surface, then we’ll stop at the Library so you can obtain your credentials while you are up on the Surface for the next month. This will include a government ID, a debit card that you will be able to use when purchasing things, and keys to the apartment that you will be staying in while here.” Seoho glances over at the female driver. “Soohee here, is your personal driver. She will take you anywhere you need to go. She’s my cousin, and she just came of majority to be able to help in the family business. I am your personal assistant while you are here, so if there is anything in particular you want or need, just tell me, and I will see that it happens.”

Dongju nods, looking out the window as the scenery passes by. He’s curious about the world, but more curious to know what his mission the Surface was for his Pilgrimage. He’d been told by the Seer that he would know his mission once he woke up on the Surface, but so far, nothing has really stood out to him. He sighs softly as the car turns to a large building, the outside reminding Dongju of the Palace that he suddenly misses.