Chapter 5

OVER THE YEARS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Times fly faster than usual which means two things; first her final semester in the law faculty of Seoul National University will be ending soon and secondly, too many things she needs to submit and revise before the final weeks come.

 

If Taeyeon counts it correctly she still has five more weeks and the assessments given by the lecturer are increasing day by day. She prefers assessment rather than final exam but when most of your lecturers decide to give you the assessments at the same time, a few weeks before the semester ends, this is practically hell.

 

‘New assignments for conveyancing and insolvency. Deadline next week. Fighting friends!!’

 

“Omaigoddd”, she can only let out frustrated sighs when seeing the message from Hannah in their batchmate group chat. They already need to submit three cause papers for drafting class, group assignment for criminal law, land law’s individual presentation in front of the whole batch next week and yet the lecturers still give them more workload which is different from their promise early this semester to liaise with each other about the deadline. This was one of the faculty’s ways to help lessen the students’ burden but yet they cannot do this properly. At the end, promises only become promise.

 

Opening their group chat, she sends them the internal deadlines for the group assignments, which part they need to do (bless ‘wheel of names’ to randomly sort this for them), link to paste their work and everything else.

 

It is her job to do so since the others would not do it unless the deadline is near. Taeyeon loves to procrastinate too, but only when she already sets their internal deadlines and delegates the parts.



 

***



 

“Taeng, I don’t understand at all what Madam Kim wants us to do. She gives this checklist but never states if we need to forge other documents that she gave.” Her friend, Julia huffs loudly beside her. They are in the library at 7 in the evening just to figure out how to do their part for the conveyancing’s assignment. 

 

Taeyeon and Julia are not in the same group but when the latter knows she and Taeyeon need to do the same part, they promise to do it together. But after 2 hours, they still can’t do even half of it.

 

The assignment is simple if you look in the surface as they need to only tick the checklist and provide the dates which they need to cross refer with the documents given by the lecturer, but because of the ambiguity and the well known habit of their batch has (according to their lecturers), they overthink everything.

 

Taeyeon remembered Dr. Reena, her lecturer for law firm management last year. She had said that this current final year batch has the tendency to overthink about everything which the lecturer finds very weird.

 

Well, how can they not overthink when their grades are determined by the assignments. Every single word they put in the assignment can lead them to glory or downfall.

 

Taeyeon can only offer Julia a sympathetic smile, showing her that she is not alone. 

 

“How about your groupmates?”

 

“Huh? What about them?” she turns towards Julia, not quite understanding the question. 

 

“Hahahha. You look so lost Taeng. I mean their parts”, Taeyeon let out a long ‘ahhhh’ before shaking her head.

 

“They haven't done it yet.”

 

Her answer makes Julia look at her in disbelief. She looks at Taeyeon’s relaxed expression, trying to find anything that can support the things she had heard a few times from their batchmate.

 

“B-but, we need to send them tomorrow, right?” She glances at her sticky note to make sure the deadline is really tomorrow and she is not the one who has the dates mixed up. “It’s tomorrow at 11pm and we also need to submit insolvency at 5pm. Will they have enough time to do their parts?”

 

Taeyeon shrugs and continues to lay down what she needs to understand about the process after the loan is given. 

 

Julia is still in the same position. To stun to even move a limb. How can someone like Taeyeon be so nonchalant about her group mates not yet doing their parts when Taeyeon and her parts actually need to be cross refer with other parts as the guides. Even her needs to get an explanation from her group mates to do her parts. If not, she can’t even do the first checklist. 

 

“Just say it, Ju.”

“W-what?”

 

“You’re frowning”, she smooths the frown lines across Julia’s forehead and chuckles. “It says that you’ve something in your mind.”

 

She is contemplating. Her mind is thinking whether to ask this thing further or not. She lays down all the pros and cons because she doesn’t want her curiosity to destroy the friendship between her and Taeyeon. Seeing Taeyeon’s encouraging smile she braced herself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter