Chapter 4: Matching Heartbeats

After all, it's you.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hanni felt Minji pulling away, knocking her back to her senses. She looked at Minji, surprised at her sudden action. She then looked down on her feet and fidget on her fingers.

 

"I'm sorry, I didn't know what to do," Hanni said. She takes a few glances to Minji, ensuring she's not being murdered tonight.

 

To her surprise, Minji was looking at anywhere but her, keeping herself quiet.

 

The taller girl stood up and fixed her gown.

 

"Next time, just try to bring some paper bag," she walked past Hanni.

 

"T-thank you anyway," Minji left.

 

 

 

 

**

 

It was a long night for both Hanni and Minji, they got home without saying a word to each other. But both made sure they took a quick glance before going inside their room.

 

After all, the party's over. It's indeed welcoming for her as a senior student. She made sure she was having fun regardless of the events in the past days.

 

Hanni did enjoy the night, being with Danielle and Haerin made her very comfortable. She wasn't able to say goodbye to the duo and took a mental note to say sorry tomorrow.

 

After cleaning up, Hanni rolled and rolled on her bed, she couldn't stop thinking about their interaction earlier, or if it was appropriate to even think about it. She'll have to start reviewing her exams tomorrow or she's going to fail if she thinks this way over and over again. She needs to sleep.

 

She wondered if Minji was also feeling the same as tonight.

 

Well maybe not, she thought. Hanni lifted her fingers to caress her lips, the scene still on a flashabck.

 

"I should really be bringing paper bags next time,"

 

 

Little did she know, Minji has been looking at her reflection for good 10 minutes in her bathroom. Trying to remove the flashbacks in hear head.

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

 

Hanni found herself sitting inside their classroom room, in distress. The class just finished for the day. Haerin was looking at her worriedly.

 

"You disappeared last night like thin air and now you're stressing out to something I'm not so sure of, what happened Hanni Pham?" Haerin leaned towards the spacing out girl.

 

 

"Right, I'm sorry about last night, Minji had an emergency and we had to—"

 

Hanni stopped, she remembered the same exact scenes last night, still vivid on her memory. She also paused to think if it's okay to actually tell Haerin what happened.

 

Then, she decided to keep it to herself for now at least.

 

"We had to go home because she told me she feels sleepy,"

 

Haerin nodded. "I got worried about you guys when she walked out yesterday,"

 

Hanni looked down, it was a bad sight for her to see Minji trying to find solitude after a confrontation. None of it was her fiancé's fault.

 

"Yeah she needed fresh air," Hanni had a fake chuckle.

 

Haerin nodded and decided not to ask questions anymore. Instead, she remembered they should be having reviews instead.

 

"By the way, do you want to have a review session later in the library?"

 

It was dreading to hear it for Hanni but she nonetheless agreed. Maybe reviewing with her friends is not a bad idea and can't help her forget 'things'.

 

 

 

 

**

 

The short girl was holding her temples, massaging it. The exams are coming but on her first day of reviewing and she's not getting anything. She felt a piercing pain on her head.

 

 

"Too...much...info..." Hanni groaned.

 

Haerin looked at her friend pathetically, she knew Hanni wasn't the smartest among her classmates and this got her worried. They have done different ways to review on day 1 but none of it made sense to Hanni.

 

They had a review of multiple choices and essays for them to check on each other but Hanni's answers were just not on point.

 

 

"Should we grab some ice cream to help you relax a bit?" Haerin offered. A series of nodding could be seen on Hanni's face. She was pleading to get out of the library after reviewing for merely two hours.

 

 

The two walked out of the school with their bags. They were talking about where to get their ice cream and Haerin was giving out suggestions a bit farther than their usual spot. Hanni was just relentlessly agreeing to whatever they say. Then she saw a familiar figure by the gate.

 

"Oh, is that Dani?"

 

Haerin stopped on her tracks and smiled without anyone noticing.

 

The Aussie girl waved and waited for them by the gate.

 

 

"Sorry, I couldn't attend the review earlier," Dani smiled sadly and looked at Haerin. Both of them seems to be shy towards each other. While Hanni was just clueless on why Dani was apologizing.

 

"Oh, were you supposed to join the review?" Hanni asked. Her cousin nodded.

 

"I had to stop by to the org room. We had a sudden meeting,"

 

Haerin gave Dani a light tap on the shoulder.

 

"It's okay, we have more time to review together anyway,"

 

Dani smiled satisfyingly. "Glad to hear that,"

 

"We're going to get ice cream today,"

 

"Sounds good, shall we then?"

Dani gestured the two to go ahead and lead the way.

 

While Hanni was busy thinking what flavor she should get, Dani and Haerin were busy glancing at each other. Exchanging little smiles.

 

 

**

 

"Seo-ah, isn't that Pham Hanni?" Rei pointed out to the three girls having a good time inside an ice cream shop. Leeseo looked at them with a fuming face. She was pretty mad at the idea that number 1, Minji is engaged way too early, and 2, it's not with her and none other than Pham Hanni.

 

It was frustrating for Leeseo since she has been following the girl ever since she can't even remember, one thing she knows of, she's not letting her ulitmate crush be with someone undeserving as Pham Hanni.

 

 

 

 

*

 

Hanni was laughing so much because Haerin told her that her classmates used to as a frog because she looks like one, and Hanni couldn't stop laughing because she couldn't unsee it. Dani on the other hand was quietly laughing.

 

The trio walked out of the shop, their happy faces suddenly turned into a frown when they saw familiar figures walking towards them.

 

"Look who's here, the fiancé," Gaeul said in a mocking way.

 

Hanni had flashbacks on the day she got bullied by these Minji fangirls. And seeing them after the incident got her remembering her struggles.

 

"What do you want?" Haerin asked, her face turned into a serious and ready to fight expression.

 

"Let's talk," Then, Leeseo used her head to point out an alley, signaling them to go there and talk.

 

 

The trio looked at each other, Hanni assured  both Dani and Haerin that it's going to be okay.

 

 

 

**

 

 

Arriving at the alley, the bully girls are crossed arms while looking at them.

 

"What do you want?" Hanni asked. She gulped. She was ready to get bullied again today.

 

"You know I'm still wondering what potion have you given Minji, I don't understand her for having or even engaging to someone who's..who's disgustingly dumb as you," said Leeseo, she looked at Hanni from head to toe.

 

"If you think this has ended, well you're wrong, you think we'll let you go off that easy?" Leeseo then walked towards Hanni.

 

"You're not smart, average face, not even tall and doesn't even have a good fashion sense, but I still wonder, why you?" She added.

 

 

"And you think it's supposed to be you?" Haerin rebutted. Leeseo scoffed at her.

 

"I'm not talking to you so shut up!"

 

Haerin wanted to run towards the girl but Hanni stopped her.

 

"You, what do you want from me to stop all of this?" Hanni asked courageously.

 

The bullies looked at each other and laughed hysterically.

 

 

 

"Pham Hanni, how about this, wanna bet?"

 

 

Leeseo crosed her arms and walked towards Hanni, looking at her soul.

 

"Let's talk about the exam, I think it's going to be fun," Leeseo clasped her hand in excitement.

 

"If you rank within top 20 on the high scores then, we're going to leave you, I will apologize even!" Leeseo rolled her eyes in disgust, but she was brave to offer this since she thinks Hanni is really bad in her studies.

 

 

"And if I don't?" Hanni asked.

 

 

"Then, it's simple, dump Kim Minji and leave her to us, deal? Pretty simple isn't it?" She said.

 

 

Dani and Haerin let out a surprised gasped.

 

 

"Pham Hanni, you just transferred here in Korea, and then suddenly you're Minji's fiancé? Do you know how much of a joke that sounded to me?" Leeseo added.

 

"I'm starting to think something's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter