Chapter 3: Breathless

After all, it's you.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hanni went out of the bathroom, she washed herself until her skin went pinkish. The goo on her skin and clothes reminds her how scary life can be, students in her school are bullies over something small.

Though thinking about it, Minji isn't a small deal.

Knowing how popular her "fiancé" is, Hanni thought it was not going to help her get better days. She just feels it.

The short girl released a deep sigh as she dries her hair. She felt sad. She knew she didn't deserve it.

"Is it even worth it to get through this?" She thought.

She always dreamt of having a life full of laughter. She wanted a dog and a small house in the countryside. That was her longest dream, not until a month ago.

Hanni heard a knock.

*knock*

*knock knock*

*knock knock knock*

She was surprised by the sound created by the patterned knock. She walked and opened the door.

Upon opening, Hanni didn't see anyone. She felt goosebumps.

Could it be...

"G-ghost?"

The short girl fell on her and closed her eyes. Scaring herself.

Seconds later, Hanni slowly peeked at the door. She saw a white figure with long black hair.

"AH-" She almost woke the entire house up. But the person immediately covered .

Hanni squinted and saw Minji, an inch close to her face.

Minji was annoyed by the reaction. She was wearing an oversized white t-shirt and her hair was wet, also coming out from the shower.

"What's the loud noise?"

Minji and Hanni heard Mr. Pham, he looked at his daughter's room and his eyes widened.

Minji was holding Hanni's back as she was in the middle of supporting her from falling. Their faces were too close to each other.

Mr. Pham internally giggled and coughed. Thinking he might have bothered something miraculous.

"I'm so sorry for bothering you, good night lovebirds,"

Before the two can both react, Mr. Pham immediately closed Hanni's bedroom door and left.

The duo suddenly realized their position. Hanni stood straight and Minji scratched the back of her head.

"Sorry, I was surprised,"

Minji just rolled her eyes.

"What are you even doing here?" Asked Hanni.

Without a word, Minji pulled Hanni to the bed, both are now sitting and facing each other.

Hanni, surprised, looked at Minji carefully, not sure about her next move.

Then, Minji brought Hanni's arm and rested it on her thigh.

She then pulled an ointment and bandage from her jogger's pockets.

Hanni felt a little nervous about the gesture, but she stayed quiet. Observing Minji tending to her scratches.

Minji tuck her fringes behind her ear, and Hanni was just looking at her and thought she skipped a heartbeat. This was the first time she could see Minji's face.

Then the realization hits again. Minji is pretty, no—Minji is gorgeous. No wonder, people will line up to try their chances. She's always the top student who never wasted time on what other people think, and that alone even made her attractive. Hanni knew to herself that she wouldn't even stand a chance of talking to Minji if they weren't tied up right now.

She might have been the person who just looks at Minji from afar.

"Why didn't you fight back?" Minji asked, focusing her eye on Hanni's scratches.

As usual, her tone was blank and unreadable. In these instances, Hanni feels like walking on eggshells.

"I-I didn't want to make a deal out of it,"

Minji lifted her face, frowning.

"Then you think what they did was something really small?" She asked.

Hanni didn't answer.

"You were lucky we got there on time. If not, you might have been in the hospital and no one would even know who did it to you,"

Minji looked at Hanni pitifully.

"Stop looking at me like that.." said Hanni.

"It makes me want to go home."

"Then go back where you belong," said Minji. "I told you to do whatever you want, I'm surprised you're still here."

Hanni felt hurt by what Minji just told her. The taller girl stood up and was about to leave the bedroom.

"Do you hate me that much?" Asked Hanni.

Minji looked behind her shoulder.

"No, I don't hate you, I pity you." Minji corrected and left the bedroom.

 

 

 

**

The next morning, the 'couple' walked out of the house and rode their bikes. Minji could feel the changes in Hanni's energy.

She glanced at Hanni briefly. From someone who tried talking and kept bugging her, the girl was soulless. She's like a zombie trying to function.

Arriving at school, students started to whisper and gossip. Of course, the word had spread faster than a tsunami.

Minji walked faster and went straightly to her classroom, leaving Hanni behind.

The shorter girl watched Minji as she disappeared from the crowd. The students weren't fond of the idea of Minji being 'taken', they were not ready for it. But ultimately, they were not in favor of Hanni being the chosen one.

"Yah Hanni Pham!"

Hanni felt Haerin pull her from the crowd. They both rushed towards their classroom.

"Haerin-ah"

Haerin pushed Hanni a little to make her sit down. And the girl also pulled her chair to talk to Hanni closer.

"Explain," Haerin said as she intently looked at Hanni's poor soul.

"I will, okay? But not here,"

 

**

 

Haerin widened her eyes in surprise. They were in a coffee shop nearby since classes were over.

"Marriage arrangement? Well, that's one proof that these deals still exist to this day. Oh god, boomers." Haerin exclaimed. She sipped on her coffee. Hanni was just looking down the whole time. Haerin couldn't stop herself from asking.

"Are you okay? You don't seem to be happy getting married to the most popular girl at school,"

"How can I—I'm no one, and Minji just pities me. I can't understand her most of the time. She never looked at me properly, when she does, she'll just insult me," Hanni slumped on her chair and looked at the ceiling.

"I never thought Minji is THAT arrogant, it must be a pain in the , I thought I'm crushing on her but after hearing you, guess I'm outta the fan club."

Hanni shook her head. "You know I can't blame her too. This was a setup for both of us. I'm sure she's also struggling as much as I am."

"But either way, Hanni. Be careful, no one should know about this arrangement at all, if it goes out in public, you'll have 100 women probably trying to stop your wedding."

Haerin was right, there's just no way they can spill this in public. Their parents will be the ones taking the damages.

"What are you going to wear at the senior party tonight?" Haerin changed the topic. She excitedly reminded Hanni.

"Ah right, the senior's welcome party is tonight, hmm, whatever I have in the closet I think," Hanni felt relieved that her bullies were a year younger. But she knew for a reason these kids can get overboard to an extent, it worried her.

"Do you think they will be there?"

"Who?" Haerin looked at her. "Ah," Then shook her head.

"The party has a guest list, even if they attempt to party crush, it won't happen. Which reminds me...Will you and Minji go together?"

"I guess not, I don't have the mood to even talk to her, she just belittles me every time," the shorter girl said, burying her face in her hands.

Hanni thought of the previous week's events.

It was another harsh reality that she was the least smart in their class.

She couldn't shoot the ball in P.E. basketball because she was too short. She got numerous failed exams and quizzes. And she even received a punishment to squat outside their room for being suspected of "Not reviewing/not listening" to the lecture.

And every time, Minji would look at Hanni expressionless, but Hanni felt offended. She just has a feeling that Minji is probably mentally judging her.

"Come to think of it, Minji still saved you last time by announcing you're her fiancé. At least for me, I think she cares about you,"

Hanni bit her lip lower lip. She remembered Minji tending to her scratches that night. The cold-hearted person seems to be humane at some point. She felt her heart skip a beat.

"Do you think so?"

Haerin nodded.

"Ah, well I don't know, I would choose to go with you later instead,"

Haerin nodded and understood what Hanni meant, she can't always force her to go with a decision she's not confident about.

**

 

"My daughter, you're the second most beautiful woman I've known in my life after your mother," Mr. Pham was in awe. Hanni was wearing her Mom's old cream Gucci dress. It has details on each of its linings that define the curves of the clothing, which makes it look more elegant.

"Yeobo, please stop looking at Hanni, she's gonna be late," Mrs. Pham slapped the shoulder of her husband, waking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter