Chapter 2: A bucket of Cold Water

After all, it's you.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Marriage?" Minji asked while looking at Mr. Kim. She knew this was coming to a point. However, Minji was too busy to even think about trivial stuff. She never disobeyed her parents, but her parents never asked much favor from her either. They knew their daughter was good. That's another reason Minji couldn't refuse.

She was nothing but a very studious daughter, she's a total nerd, but the cool type of nerd to be clear. She's not the geeky circle glasses girl who's clumsy or who doesn't have any friends at all due to her "loser" impression, it was the total opposite.

Kim Minji was top in her class since grade 1. No one dared to challenge that position--more like, no one was able to steal that position from her, she studied almost 24/7. She has a good life, grew up in a well-off family, and her parents were very kind and funny. She's pretty, it's even an understatement, she had lots of people admiring her explaining the group of people just following her to class. She didn't like the attention though, for her it was one of the efficient ways to waste time. Her life, was almost perfect, even Minji herself couldn't identify what was lacking. Not that she knows of.

At the moment, Mr. Kim was trying to look for a hint about Minji's reaction, but her eyes stayed on her book as she flipped the pages. It was unreadable, the old man sighed and smiled a little.

"Thank you, Minji-ah,"

For her parents, if something's lacking from their daughter, it's most likely emotional intelligence. Unlike Hanni, Minji wasn't causing any ruckus to her parents. She just stayed unbothered, or she tries to be.

Marriage isn't something that they just celebrate and then the party's over. She knew it was sacred, but judging from the ways of things, it was already helpless. Minji didn't bother to challenge the thought anymore as it will just be a waste of her energy, but she didn't like the idea of getting married.

Mr. Kim left the bedroom and Minji stopped what she was doing. She felt her stomach grumble.

*

Hanni was sitting in the living room still, it's been an hour since the first time she met her soon-to-be wife. Still in shock, Hanni tried to shake her head to wake herself up. She looked at the clock and realized it was already late. Remembering the scene from earlier, Hanni couldn't comprehend the situation after meeting Minji's eyes the time she got home.

Her rough day suddenly flashed back. Aside from the fact she got good pushes and elbows from the group of people aka Minji's fans, she remembered she kicked Minji hard on the back due to her arrogance. Hanni covered and internally screamed.

She stopped when she heard someone walking downstairs. Her eyes met Minji's again this time. The taller girl was in her blue pajamas. Hanni stood up shakily, not knowing what to say, on the other hand, Minji just looked at her expressionless and headed to the kitchen. She rummaged through the fridge to look for some food.

Hanni wondered why the girl didn't even react to her presence. She's slowly getting annoyed. The short girl gathered her courage and walked towards Minji, stomping cutely.

"Are you not even bothered you're getting married?" Hanni asked, pursing her lips as she looks at Minji intently.

Minji looked at her briefly and walked past her, she seems to not even care about what the short girl was saying. She opened a can of juice and drank, her hands in her pajama pockets. Minji looked at the nutritional facts of the drink she was holding, not intending to answer Hanni.

"Hey, I'm talking to you!" Hanni was irritated. She saw Minji walking forward again, planning to leave her behind.

Hanni had enough.

"Yah you arrogant witc--" Hanni suddenly stopped when Minji turned her way. Walking toward her, Hanni took a step backward, not seeing her path as Minji continued to step forward and leaned toward Hanni until their faces were less than an inch closer.

"Do whatever you want, I don't care," Minji said almost whispering. Then she stood straightly and looked at Hanni. "If you have issues, don't involve me in your childish acts. Just tell your parents that you don't want to," She added.

Hanni looked down at her feet and frowned. Minji took it as a sign to retreat, she then continued to walk upstairs, leaving Hanni confused for the nth time of the day.

"I'm doomed," Hanni told herself.

**

The next morning, Hanni woke up quite late, she went down to see all of the family on the table having breakfast including her parents.

"Han, dress up and eat, it's already 6:30 AM, you have to be prepared for school, starting today you'll go together with Minji," The information hasn't fully synced in yet and Hanni diverted her gaze.

She then saw Minji who was already in her uniform. Meanwhile, she was on her baggy joggers and white sleeveless shirt. She even had drool on her face. Realizing her current state, Hanni wiped her eyes and went back to her room to prepare for school.

15 mins later, she went down and headed to the dining table, she picked a sandwich made by her Mom for her. She looked at the elders and they were having fun by talking to each other. Hanni was glad that her parents were quickly adapting to the change. She felt somehow relieved for them but not for her own.

Then Minji suddenly stood up, drank water, and walked to get her bag. The four elders looked at Hanni and nodded, signaling her to go ahead and be with Minji.

"Are you heading out now?" Asked Minji's father. The tall girl slightly nodded and went out, leaving Hanni trying to catch her.

Hanni saw Minji putting her bag on the bike basket, she saw two new bicycles and the blue one was being geared up by Minji. Looking at the smaller size bike, she knew it was hers as her name "Hanni Pham" with glitters was printed on the paint. She picked her bike up and quickly kicked on the pedals to keep up with Minji.

It was then, they were already at school. Parking both of their bikes, Hanni was observing Minji the whole time, they were together but it feels like Minji was just alone in her world. Hanni frowned again. Her short legs tried a brisk walk to match Minji's pace.

Reaching the building, Hanni was so annoyed by their silence, she kind of wanted to bug Minji on her opinion but it just makes no sense. Just in time, she was planning to speak a word, she heard the same set of screams from yesterday. It was Minji's fans. The group followed Minji to her classroom leaving Hanni behind, she received stares from the students, and she even heard things like "What is she doing here? Wasn't she the crazy lunatic yesterday?"

Hanni widened her eyes and looked down, trying to save herself.

She saw Minji reach her classroom so she turned away and walked towards the opposite hallway, not knowing Minji took a glance at her.

**

"I'm Haerin by the way," A cat-eyed girl showed up in front of Hanni. The short girl bowed at her classmate whom she just met, Hannie dorkily smiled which Haerin reciprocated.

"I believe you're new here? I didn't see you yesterday though," Hanni asked.

"Oh I was absent yesterday, I had to go to the hospital for a quick check-up,"

Hanni mouthed her understanding. She knows that her day 1 wasn't the best start at all, but day 2 wasn't so bad for her since she met a new potential bestie.

*
It was their break time, and at the cafeteria, there sat the two as they chatted together. Hanni learned that Haerin was a very sweet and talkative person, but when you look at her from afar, you'll think she's weird for being in her world. Hanni thinks it was a unique trait of her new buddy.

As the two of them were having fun, Hanni heard the familiar crowd noises, she sighed and Haerin noticed. Hanni knew.

Minji was holding her food tray, unamused as always walking at the cafeteria, she saw a vacant table and headed there. There were lots of fangirls surrounding Minji which makes her uncomfortable. If there's one thing evident from Minji, she's non-confrontational. She'd just wait for these girls to be tired and she knew they will leave her eventually.
But that's not always the case.

The black-haired girl continued to eat slowly while her eyes were focused on her tray. Suddenly, the girls who were exchanging giggles paused and diverted their attention to another person walking in the area.

It's time for the boys now to start drooling over, another tall girl appeared, she had this big pair of eyes and wavy hair. She's like sunshine to everyone's rain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter