Part 2

In Our Dreams

LeeAe opened the classroom door an peeked in, looking for Kibum. They were going to eat lunch together and since it was a half day, and her birthday, they were going to her house after to play some video games and eat cake and open presents. Kibum always helped her open her presents, no matter what they were. One time, she had gotten underwear from her other grandma for her birthday, and Kibum had helped her open it. That had been embarrassing.

Once she spotted him, sitting in his desk, writing furiously in is notebook, she grinned and skipped her way over to him.

"Kibummie, let's go." She said, poking his back lightly. He jumped, startled, and closed his notebook quickly, shoving it into his backpack, his face bright red. When he stood up to put his backpack on, he refused to look at her. "Bummie, let's go!"

"Geez, you're impatient." He mumbled, starting towards the door. She hurried after him and wrapped her arm through his, like she usually did. He felt a bit uncomfortable, though it was something they always did. He felt that way because of what he knew was going to happen, and he felt just too close and too far at the same time .He couldn't control what was going on and it really pissed him off. 

He would tell her. He would. Just, not at this moment. Not on her birthday. They didn't have any time left together at all, but he didn't want to ruin the day for her. He was going to make it the best birthday ever.

They walked back to her house, arm in arm, and sat in front of the living room TV, ready for the newest episode of Power Rangers. Somehow, the series was still going, after changing Rangers multiple times because the actors had gotten too old.

They popped popcorn and sat watching TV for a while, then played some video games. LeeAe's mom came home and ran to the kitchen before they could see what was in her hands. A half hour after that, her dad came home. He leaned down and kissed LeeAe's cheek, whispering, "Happy birthday, Sweetie." Then he leaned over and ruffled Kibum's hair, like he usually did. LeeAe's dad had truly become like a father to him.

Her dad walked into the kitchen and Key heard some whispering, and then LeeAe's mom's voice, "Kibum? LeeAe? Can you go upstairs for a moment?"

"Why mom? We're in the middle of a game!" LeeAe pouted. Kibum had forgotten they were playing Mortal Kombat. His controller was in his hand and LeeAe's character was beating on his character. He never lost.

"Pause it and go upstairs please."

"Ugh, fine." LeeAe paused it and stood up angrily. "Come on Kibum. Let's go read some manga. I got some new Rurouni Kenshin volumes yesterday!" She seemed happier then, and they ran upstairs, but not before Kibum grabbed his school bag. He could feel the box he had filled with presents this morning, slapping against the inside of the backpack as he climbed the steps. It was sad to know he was giving his most valuable things away, but for LeeAe, he would do it. She would love them just as much as he had.

They sat on her bed and laughed together while reading. An hour passed quickly, and they still weren't allowed to come downstairs. Kibum decided it was time to give her her present. But giving her the present would finalize this feeling inside of him. He didn't want to leave. He didn't. He wanted to stay so badly...

LeeAe noticed Kibum was acting weird, so she stopped reading and looked over at him, concerned. "Kibummie?"

"Ne?" He looked up and smiled at her, though it didn't reach his eyes.

"What's wrong with you today? You seem so sad!" She frowned. "It's my birthday. You're supposed to be happy. I'm finally thirteen, like you!"

Kibum tried to smile bigger, to reassure her he was fine. "I know. I have presents for you."

"You do?" She sat up quickly and held her hands out. Kibum laughed. "Well?" 

"Just give me a second." He pered his backpack and dug around for the box. Once he grasped it, he pulled it out and handed it to her, all the while trying not to look at it. He was giving his everything away... but for a good cause. LeeAe moved to rip it open, but he stopped her. "Wait." He took a note out of his pocket and handed that to her too. She tried to read it, but he stopped her once again. "Don't read the note until I leave, please. But you can open the box now."

LeeAe was puzzled, but she did as he asked. She opened the box and cried out in joy, launching herself across the bed at Kibum. "Thank you!"

The box was full of his favorite Power Rangers things. Socks, action figures, a t-shirt his mom had gotten him for his birthday, the soundtrack to the first season, and a pair of Red Ranger gloves. 

"You're welcome." He said, closing his eyes as he hugged her back. He couldn't look at it. He threw the lid back over the open box and tried not to cry. Everything was coming to an end. He was losing everything. "You have to take good care of that stuff for me, okay?"

LeeAe let go to look at him. His eyes were wet with unshed tears. "Bummie? What's wrong? I don't need this stuff, I know it's all your favorites- "

"I'm giving it to you. I want you to have it." He fought back his tears and got up as LeeAe's mom finally called their names. "Come on, let's go."

It was a surprise party. There weren't many people, since LeeAe didn't really have any friends other than Kibum, but it was alright with her. The grin that lit up her face was one of the sweetest things Kibum had ever seen. His chest hurt so much, but he couldn't stop thinking about what was going to happen...

They had lots of cake and ice-cream and Kibum was sure they had never had more fun than that moment. Everyone was laughing at some joke LeeAe's dad had told, and LeeAe's mom was laughing so hard she was crying. Everything was great.

That is, until Kibum's mom showed up. She looked sad as she shuffled through the front door, gift bag in her hands. "I brought a present for LeeAe." She said, smiling, though her eyes were surrounded by dark bags, and she looked utterly stressed out.

LeeAe grinned at her and took the bag, thanking Kibum's mom before ripping into the bag. It was a photobook, full of pictures of Kibum and LeeAe from the beginning of their friendship to where they were now. LeeAe opened it and looked through it with Kibum, scooting closer and closer to him on the loveseat. They laughed at the picture of Kibum dressed up as the Pink Ranger, remembering the bet he had lost. There were pictures of them at the beach in their bathing suits, pictures of them bathing together when they were five and they had been out in the rain, rolling around in mud puddles like animals. LeeAe still remembered how much fun she had had then.

"Kibum," His mother started talking, just as they closed the photobook. He looked up at his mom's sad eyes and shook his head. "Kibum, we have to go now."

"No." He said defiantly, shaking his head again. "No, I can't."

"Kibum, don't make a scene, please." The desparation in his mother's voice caused him to give up. His shoulders drooped and his chin quivered. He stood up and bowed to LeeAe's parents, confusing the heck out of everyone else, and pulled LeeAe out to he doorway. Kibum's mother stayed behind to explain things to LeeAe's parents. Kibum watched them from the corner of his eye. He watched LeeAe's mother cry and hug his own mother and LeeAe's father looked the saddest Kibum had ever seen him. He looked sadder than when their dog had died, which caused LeeAe to become so depressed that she wouldn't leave her room for days.

"Kibummie, what's going on?" LeeAe's voice was frantic.

"I-I-" Kibum stuttered and took a deep breath, though it didn't help the fact that he was starting to panic. He felt the contents of his stomach roll. "M-My mom is being t-transfered so we're m-moving." He said quite calmly, though his chin was quivering and his eyes were filled with tears.

"Moving? To where?" LeeAe whispered, looking frantically at Kibum's eyes, which were now spilling tears. "To where?!"

"T-To America." His whispered, and his heart started to break, shattering against his ribcage. It hurt so much. 

"When did you find out?!" 

"A month ago..." 

"And you're just telling me now?" LeeAe was more than hurt. Way more than hurt. "Why?"

"I didn't want to hurt you, I thought if I kept it to myself long enough it wouldn't be real..." 

LeeAe couldn't take this anymore. Kibum was leaving her? He promised to never leave her, to be her best friend forever, but apparently she couldn't trust him. "I can't believe you did this to me. I..." She took a deep breath and sobbed out, "I hate you!" before running upstairs into her bedroom and slamming the door, while Kibum stood in the now open doorway, sobbing into LeeAe's dad's shoulder.