Part One

In Our Dreams

"What's your name?" The little girl asked, looking towards the little boy as she played with the doll at her feet. It's face was marred and covered in dirt and grime, yet the girl still played with the imperfect thing.

"Kibum. What's your name?" The boy was smiling at her, and she smiled back. Two innocent little children, sitting in the sandbox on the playground outside their Kindergarten classroom.

"LeeAe. My mommy said she named me that because it sounds pretty." The girl smiled so sweetly. "My daddy said it fits me, because I'm the most prettiest thing he's ever seen."

"My mommy said she named me Kibum because her favorite actor is named Kibum." Kibum said haughtily, crossing his arms and frowning at the cute little girl. He hated to admit he actually liked her, but he would never say that out loud. That would be just weird! "And it's just 'prettiest' not 'most prettiest'. You're stupid."

The girl frowned, but it quickly grew back into a grin. She liked this boy. "I like saying 'most prettiest.'"

"Well, it makes you sound stupid."

She just kept smiling. "Do you want to play with me?"

"Why aren't you crying?" He asked, bewildered. Whenever he said mean things to other people, they always got mad or cried. "Aren't you mad at me? I called you stupid."

She shook her head. "I'm not mad. You didn't mean it."

"How would you know?" He asked, huffing. "Maybe I did mean it."

"No, you didn't." She said firmly. "Do you want to help me brush her hair?"

She held up the disgusting doll and Kibum scoffed. "She's gross. Why don't you just get a new doll?" LeeAe shrugged, but then held the doll tightly to her chest.

"This doll is a present from my grandma." She patted the dolls head and rocked slightly, as if she was willing the baby doll to sleep. "She gave it to me for my birthday."

"Can't you just ask her for a new one?"

"No." She said, sticking her bottom lip out. "I like this one a lot. And I can't ask her for another one. She's not here."

"What do you mean?"

"She's in 'the coma', whatever that means. My daddy said she could be sleeping for a little, or for a really long time. I just hope she gets up soon. I drew her a picture and I wanted to show it to her." She frowned again, reaching down for the dolls hairbrush. Kibum didn't really understand what 'the coma' was, but he was sure he could ask his mom later.

"Hey, we should play sometime, at my house." LeeAe smiled at him again, and he smiled back just as big.

"That sounds like fun! Where is your house?"

"Not that far. My mama walks me here every day, and it doesn't take long, so it can't be that far. I can ask my mama after school if you want."

"I do want!" LeeAe said, sounding excited. "What will we do?"

"My mama made cookies, so we can have a snack. And I have Power Rangers action figures, and there's a new episode after school today!" Kibum said, standing up to make a fighting stance like the red ranger. "Do you like them?"

"I like the pink ranger. She's nice."

"Pssh, the pink ranger ." Kibum said, plopping back down next to LeeAe and taking the doll's brush from her so he could brush the doll's hair. "She's stupid. Girls can't fight."

"Girls can fight!" LeeAe exclaimed. "She beat that one monster before... what was his name..."

"Tch, the red ranger always wins."

"I think the red ranger and the pink ranger should get married." LeeAe said, grinning as Kibum brushed out the knots in her doll's hair. She was never good at that. She always seemed to make it worse, yet Kibum had no trouble working out the knots.

"Ew, that's gross!" Kibum said, pretending to gag. "Getting married is stupid. My daddy said so when he left."

"Your daddy left?" LeeAe asked, her eyes wide. "Why would he do that?"

"He said he didn't like mama anymore and he didn't want to be near her, so he left. He sends me presents though. I don't get to see him much 'cause mama doesn't like him, she says he's a bad 'affluence'. I like him though."

"You don't get to see your daddy every day?" LeeAe looked like she was about to cry, and Kibum was scared. He didn't like it when girls cried. It was annoying. She fought back her tears though. "I don't know what I would do if I didn't get to see my daddy every day." She frowned, but then smiled, pointing her finger like she had an idea. "I know, we can share daddies! You can come to my house and share my daddy!"

"I don't know..." Kibum said, biting his lip. "Is your daddy nice?"

"Of course! He's the nicest! He brings home treats for me sometimes and he gives me hugs and kisses. He loves me."

The teacher started ringing her bell then, calling, "School is over kids, come get your bags!"

"We have to leave now." Kibum said, and he felt a bit sad. "When my mommy shows up, I'll ask her."

"Okay." LeeAe said, standing up and wiping the sand off her cute little sundress. "Do I have sand on me? I don't want my mommy to see I got sand all over my dress."

Kibum looked at her skirt, turning her around so he could see better. "No, there's no sand. Wait-" He used his right hand to bat at her skirt, shaking out any sand that was there that he hadn't seen. "There. All better. I like your dress."

LeeAe blushed and grinned. "Thanks. Mommy made it. She said she likes making clothes. She's a fashion designer."

"Really?" He asked. "That's so cool."

"Kibum!" It was his mama, calling for him. He turned quickly, looking towards the school gates. There she was, in her business clothes, her hair pulled back tightly into a bun, her lips covered in bright red lipstick. He ran towards her, forgetting LeeAe for a second, opening his arms to wrap them around her when he got closer.

"Mama, I have a question." He said, looking up at her. She smiled down at him, patting his head. "I made a friend. Her name is LeeAe. Can she come over and watch Power Rangers with me?"

"I'd have to ask her parents." She said. "Show me your friend."

"LeeAe!" He yelled, turning around to look for her. She was with the teacher, getting her backpack and trying to put it on, but it kept slipping. One of the other girls helped her put it on and she bowed with a great big grin on her face. It made Kibum mad. "Come here, LeeAe!"

"Coming!" She called back, running up to him. "Hello."

"Hello. Your name is LeeAe?" His mama asked, reaching out to give her little hand a shake.

"Yes." She said, blushing.

"You're Kibum's new friend, right?"

"Mhmm."

"You want to come to our house?"

"Can I?" Her eyes lit up quickly.

"I have to talk to your mom first. Where is she?"

"She should be here soon." Just then, LeeAe's mom came out, almost running she was rushing so fast. Her hair was big and curly, her clothes were very fashionable with lots of colors and jingly beads, and her lips were bright pink. She smiled big at LeeAe and rushed for her, scooping her up for a big hug. "I missed you!"

"Mommy!" She squealed, wrapping her arms around her mom's shoulders. "I made a new friend!"

"Really?" She grinned, reaching forward to squish her daughter's cheeks.

LeeAe blushed and nodded, her pigtails whipped in the air, almost slapping her mom in the face. They laughed. "His name is Kibum. I want to go to his house. We're going to watch the Power Rangers."

"Oh, really?" She said, setting her down. She looked over at Kibum's mother and smiled. "Hello, I'm JinAe, LeeAe's mom."

"Hello, I'm Kibum's mother." They started talking then, adult talk, and Kibum grabbed LeeAe's hand, looking at her seriously.

"LeeAe, do you have other friends?"

"Yes, I'm friends with Rachel and Sooyoung."

"You can't have other friends if you wanna be my friend." He said, crossing his arm. "I don't like sharing."

LeeAe bit her lip, looking troubled. "But I like my other friends too."

"Do you like them more than me?" LeeAe didn't know what to say, so she just shook her head. "I don't want to share. You can be my friend, or you can't be my friend."

"I wanna be your friend though." She mumbled, controlling her tears. Kibum patted her back. He didn't feel bad, really, he just wanted to keep her from crying. He didn't want to share, and he didn't like Rachel or Sooyoung. There were stupid and he just didn't like them. He wanted LeeAe all to himself.

Okay. Let's be friends." He said, taking her hand again. She nodded, a bit confused. Their moms were done talking and they had already planned a day for them to play. Kibum was excited to play with LeeAe, and LeeAe could definitely say the same thing. She knew they were going to be the best of friends.

And they were, for eight years, before everything went downhill.