Part 5

Demons Have Two Sides

Part 5:

                Brrr-brrrr, Sunggyu’s phone rang out, echoing through the cemetery. Staring at the number, he answered destroying the tranquility of the sacred place.

                “Hyung you need to come here now,” Woohyun’s voice urged tersely.

“I’m busy. Is it that important?” his eyes glanced back to the grave full of remorse.

                “Yes. Dongwoo turned himself in as him,” Woohyun’s tone grew dark.

“What?!” Sunggyu’s gaze hardened on the phone snapped it shut. Riling from the shocked, Sunggyu sunk to his knees at the edge of the marble. Its cool touch calmed him, but not enough to fix the turmoil he felt. It can’t be true can it? Not Dongwoo, anyone but him.  Looking at the overcast sky, Sunggyu wondered what sarcastic deity would do this to him.

                “It can’t be true,” his lips formed the words but nothing came out. Popping up like a puppet jerked by its strings his made a dash for his car. With one last sideways glance, he spotted the marble grave he kneeled at, neat with an offering of rice and two roses, one white and one red.

                Dongwoo blankly watched the steel table, replaying the events that lead up to this room. Woohyun’s shocked expression… relaying the body’s location… watching their faces as it was confirmed…the cool, tight handcuffs… being roughly pushed into this uncomfortable seat…

                The darkness behind his eyes reassured him, the quiet though gave him too much to think about. Who was he? Why did he kill? How old was he? Did he have any family? These basic questions he couldn’t answer when the police did the initial interview, now they were waiting the one in charge of his case… that would mean facing Sunggyu hyung.

                Staring at the ceiling this place felt familiar in the oddest way, familiar yet different. The shape of the room, a person sitting in cuffs, a serious face guard at the doorway, the steel table in front of him... so familiar yet the perspective was wrong. Perhaps, a wisp of memory taunting him may be he had been a criminal of some sort in a time before his memory.

                “DONGWOO,” a voice cried out coldly, looking it up he saw that the voice matched Sunggyu. Within Sunggyu’s shadow was Woohyun recording all of Dongwoo’s reaction’s to memory. 

                “Mr. Dongwoo you say he have no recollection of your memory beyond three years prior to this day?” Sunggyu’s tone was ice.

                “Yes, my first memory is of you picking me up on that bridge in the rain,” he answered dry-throated and unable to look either man in the eye.

                “Can you tell us what you remember of that day, Dongwoo?” Woohyun asked in a kinder tone. It would add to his profile of this man, the man behind the demon.

                “Yeah I guess…

It was raining, no wait pouring rain as I stumbled down the street. My heart was heavy so heavy… the world around me looked frozen, drenched by the beautiful downpour. I was soaked to the bone by oddly elated by the numbest, embracing it to the fullest. The cold wrapped around me numbing my core and washing my mind. Everything was slipping through my fingers, warmth, joy, pain, happiness, grief all of it when down a vortex.

Tripping I crashed into the bridge … guard… as stared into the depths of the churning waters. Dark, cold the strange thought of falling into its hold clicked in place at the time very logical to my mind. I grabbed the railing and jumped over. At the edge of the bridge the thoughts of falling into the depths of the water’s cold, numb embrace warmed and comforted me. It was beautiful in a way the rain beating against the waves, washing me away.”

Dongwoo blinked dragged back from the past, dragged back from his first memory. Across the table, Woohyun noticed, Sunggyu shivering like he had no knowledge of how Dongwoo had been at that moment.

“Continue, please,” Woohyun pushed lightly.

“That’s it,” Dongwoo answered half-stuck in time.

“That’s it,” he repeated and continued, “Sunggyu pulled me back over the bridge.”

“Okay,” Woohyun sighed before wording the question, “You kept talking about the rain washing you away what do you mean by that?”

“I’m not sure,” he stared at his fingers trying to figure out his brain. Wash away?

“I feel blank, empty, and clean when it’s raining like a dance floor when no one’s on it,”Dongwoo explained to the best of his ability.

“Why do you need to be clean?”

His brow wrinkled at Woohyun’s question because he didn’t know why. Closing his eyes he tried to dig deeper into himself. Like always at the bridge his brain fought him. A membrane that refused to give away, bending and pushing him back from the past. Beads of sweat broke out on face as he replied, “I-I don’t know.”

“Okay then. Why did you kill him?” Woohyun moved on.

“I don’t know why I only remember the two of you rushing out then… a strange…” his face crunched, “ strange song or melody played, mixing with the sounds of rain. After that I’m blank.”

“That’s it are you sure?”

“Yes, no wait…” He corrected himself, “I remember fighting something. Trying to stop something for happening but being pushed away, I’m not strong enough.”

“That’s it?” Sunggyu finally broke his silence with a tired tone.

“Yes, sorry,” Dongwoo’s head dropped lower even without looking he knew Sunggyu’s tired, sad eyes were looking at him. He hated it so much tears welt up in his eyes threatening to spill over and mucus fill his sinuses. Why couldn’t he remember? Why did he kill all those people? Who did he have to hurt the one person that helped him after he lost everything? Why? His shoulders shook, shivered slightly with each thought. There is no god is there?

“I think that’s enough questions for now. We’ll have some you to your cell,” Woohyun softly intoned touchng his arm lightly. Both Sunggyu and Woohyun exited the room quietly leaving Dongwoo to his misery.

“So what do you think Woohyun?” Sunggyu asked watching Dongwoo’s slumped figure from behind the glass.

“He’s telling the truth. It’s not him well it is but a persona of him,” Woohyun answered carefully.

“You’re saying he has multiple personalities?”

“No it’s not called that anymore it’s called DID but no but something close to that, I believe, I don’t have enough of a profile to tell. All I can say is that he really regrets his actions,” Woohyun stared back over to Doongwoo.

“Fine,” Sunggyu signaled an officer to bring Dongwoo to a cell.

Dongwoo walked down the row of cells silent, his voice lost to his grief. Again that feeling of déjà vu came back with the perspective still off. He sat on the empty bunk as the metal bars clanked close. Noises of other more rowdy flowed to his cell trying and failing to penetrate his thoughts. A hole opened in him draining out his joy turning him into a black hole of grief, regret, misery, and self-loathing. He didn’t even care to look up when someone was shoved into the cell next to his, not until the childish face stared right into him.

Glancing up he asked numbly, not really caring, “What?”

“You’re…” the boy examined him once more before finishing his reply, hyper, “ You’re Officer Jang! Oh my! Why are you behind bars?! I’ve been looking for you for forever! Don’t you remember me? It’s Sungjong!!!”

Dongwoo stared at the boy even more perplexed Officer Jang? Then, something clicked into place my name was Jang Dongwoo I was… before the world spiraled out of sight, blacking out he started to remember.