Part 4

Demons Have Two Sides

Part 4

NO! The demon felt the muscles in his arm twitch as a small part of Dongwoo’s conscious tried to stop him. He shrugged, rolling back his shoulders, and pushed back. Dongwoo faded back way, back into the abyss, as the demon regained the muscles on their face smoothed out to stern lines. All patience, all mercy dropped from his face; the times for games were over either kill him or not.

The Demon raised his hacket, he had wait much too long since Dongwoo woke up. Aiming for the tendons between the spinal bones he dropped his arm, full force; however, he paused for a moment pulling back his strength and stared at the shattered man. Hair matted down, breathe shallow, bleeding cuts, Jonghyun look so vulnerable. This image clicked in his head matching it back the posture, the… He should his head, blinking away those thoughts. Shifting the weapon, he raised it back over his head and dropped it, now without hesitation towards the space between his spines.

“AH!” Jonghyun woke to choking, deadly pain. His body spasm, twitching and jerking, wildly before freezing mid-jerk as the nerves in his body realized they were severed. Jonghyun was now a prisoner within his own bady, unable to run or shield himself. The demon raised the bloody weapon above his head once more and let out the finishing blow. Cutting in-between the spaces in his neck he used one sloping motion to detach the head, only hitting small resistance at center. For the half minute his severed head was still conscious were hell upon his world. 

Blood squirted in a thirty foot radius from the headless body, covering the demon in a thick wall. He carved out the eyes placing the head on the side step near the body. Then he went off routine carefully he placed the body across from the head and slit each wrist with tiny even cuts and left the body to bleed out. Clawing his head he ran and ran from the empty eyes.

Beads of freezing water washed off the dry, sticky liquid off his body. Washing his body clean, purifying it. Around him was a simple one room apartment bare without even the bare necessaries of life. Only a thread-bare bed and a plain dresser stocked with clothes. He pulled on a white tee and faded blue jeans, then grabbed the bag of bloodied clothes and tossed it into the nearby incinerator. Rain fell around him lightly like a kind hand washing away his sin.

Dongwoo opened his eyes to see streets he didn’t know. Stumbling through the labyrinth streets of Seoul, he pushed against his memory. However, the force-field around his hidden memory refused to break. Only that small fragment remained of that night… the indescribable urge to stop but being overtaken by the darkness within oneself. He saw the short brown hair and the rumpled clothes in his mind’s eye. Then an apparition of those hollowed out eyes stared at him, straight into his soul.

Bile and tears came, swallowing he ran. In the beginning, he ran blindly farther and farther from the apparition, however, it seemed that his subconscious was leading him. Out of breathe and covered in sweat, he froze in front of a police station. Staring that the sign, he turned ready to run, however, started to rock on his heels. I should turn myself in.

For what?  A dry voice in the back of his head answered and added sarcastically, Hi, I murdered a guy but I don’t know why and can barely remember it? Haha Like that’ll work.

A tornado of emotion whipped at him…. Self preservation vs the value of the lives of others… his innocence yet guilt…. His fear and confusion... each thing twisted inside of him. He must paced the street over thirty times before… Bang! A force pushed Dongwoo tumbling into the sidewalk.

“Sorry,” Woohyun said sticking out his arm.

                “No, it’s fine,” Dongwoo answered staring at the ground.

                “Really?” Woohyuun sensed something was off and probed deeper.

                “Really?” he repeated before continuing, “Are you sure you’re fine?”

                “Yea-h,” his voice cracked on the last syllable.

                “Hey man you know if anything is wrong you can talk to me right? I mean I have a degree in this,” Woohyun responded to Dongwoo’s body language.

                Suddenly extremely weary of life, of running, of lying he tilted his head up and looked Woohyun square in the eye and stated clearly, “I’m a murderer arrest me.”