Happy for me

Us Without Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I tried to unmind it. Acts like I don’t sense anything knowing she probably doesn’t want to talk about it. But knowing she’s clearly not enjoying the trip we always wanted makes me feel so frustrated. This makes me think….

…we’re really not, same as before anymore.

I couldn’t sleep. I was trying. Having my back on her, fondling the ring on my finger that we bought the other day. This maybe, the first matching thing we bought for each other ever since we became best friends.
 

I still remember it. It feels just yesterday. How she came changing my whole life into more fun and magical one.

 

“Boring…” She commented. I eyed her a little, seeing her head sticking on the table facing the books she’s supposed to scan and help me doing our presentation for later. I sighs, opening one book before I covered into her face.

“This is supposed to be a partner presentation.” I annoyingly told her and she just laughs, uncovering herself from the book before she sits up and leans her head on her palm, directly staring at me with that silly smile of hers.

“Why? You need help?” She asked me, making me to only scoffs shaking my head on that question before I get back on my laptop finalizing the PowerPoint for our presentation.

She’s right. I don’t need help. Literally everybody knows I prepare working alone.

“Don’t you get tired studying?” She asked me again. She’s really, not helping right now.

“I don’t.” I answered hoping she’ll just shut up.

“Liar.” That made me stops. I looked at her. She’s not wavering at all even after she called me a liar.

Hirai Momo.

We’ve been classmates since elementary but we’re not close to each other. Actually, I am not close to anyone, since I excel and focus more on my studies more than anyone. I shouldn’t be distracted, since I came from a family where being born first as a girl is a curse. And the luck of having a baby boy they always wanted never came. I became an only child. I was never raised with love. Growing up I learned I need earn their attention. I need to prove myself. I must.

“What do you know?” I asked her, not knowing why I felt so offended in this simple matter. She shrugged her shoulder on me, then felt her hand moving shoving my hands from my laptop and closed it. I wasn’t sure what she’s doing, until she then stands up stretching herself acting like she did a tiresome help for me.

“Nothing. But what I know is that no one enjoys studying.” She told me before she looks down on me, still having that smug face of hers. “Shall we test it? Let’s skip class and join me. I’ll show you what’s real happiness is.”

Unlike me she’s an easy-going student who doesn’t really care about her studies. I don’t know how she gets into class-A despite on having average grades, but I did heard she excel more in many extra-curricular activities. She’s both president in dance club and P.E club, and it seems like the teachers was so fond on her too even though she’s a little troublemaker. She’s lucky compare to me, I guess.

Cutting class. Imagining how my parents would react hearing I did…

I can already picture how disappointed they would be. I will be scolded until the next day. And I’ll probably, need to do even better than giving them good grades in return. Just by thinking I can already feel how draining it would be for me.

But I did. I was convince just by her presence. I joined her. Hirai Momo. And she did shown me how studying has always been my prison. She set me free.

And I finally met the real fun and happiness I was always craving. That even though I was scolded and grounded for weeks because of that, I didn’t felt any regret at all.

That was the happiest half day of my life. And after that….

                                                                                                                …Hirai Momo. Became my real happiness.

 

I thought I was dreaming. I was finally dozing off when I felt Momo moving behind me. I thought she maybe suddenly felt thirsty or was going to the bathroom but she stayed on bed.

It was too quiet. I almost move and cough feeling suffocated when I heard her.

I couldn’t breathe. My heart squeezes tight. I truly can’t handle this. I tilted my head which she didn’t noticed.

She’s…

                …crying. She’s sobbing, uncontrollably but silently behind her hands that she’s about to choke from it.

I wasn’t able to control myself. I just, hugged her. I felt her flinching out of shock but I didn’t let her go. Instead, I hugged her tighter, letting her feel I am always on her side. Because I do. Always.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter