Six

If It Was Me

The administrator, the driver, every guardian and other orphans all milled into Yeongmi’s office when Chanyeol and Yixing came over for a visit the next day.  Shocked as everyone was, Yixing had to recount the grandiose backstory he had initially told Kyungsoo, and narrate it multiple times, word per word, until it sounded plausible—even to him. 

 

Kyungsoo groaned, cursing inwardly at the incessant knocking on his bedroom door.  He hadn’t been able to sleep the night before, thoughts of Chanyeol infiltrating his mind nonstop, and at the same time, his bizarre encounter with The Phoenix and how he was rescued and transported near the orphanage…

 

“Kyungsoo oppa!  Wake up!” A shrill voice called out.

 

“Go away, Yoora,” Kyungsoo whined, turning over to bury his face under his pillow.   “It’s Saturday.  Oppa is allowed to sleep in!”

 

“But Kyungsoo oppa,  Chanyeol oppa is here!  He’s come to see you!”

 

Kyungsoo had never gotten up from bed and opened the door so fast. 

 

The five-year-old’s crooked grin greeted him, as the little girl stepped aside to reveal a dashing young man on a wheelchair, with flaming red hair, grinning up at him.  “Annyeong, Kyungsoo-yah.”

 

Why wasn’t Kyungsoo surprised that he had turned up today?

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes filled with tears unexpectedly, so he cut off the eye contact until he met Yixing’s kind eyes, who smiled at him in acknowledgment, which meant that he had met Yixing before and that it wasn’t some cruel figment of his imagination.

 

Behind them, Yeongmi eomonim was misty-eyed herself, elated to see Kyungsoo and Chanyeol reunited once more, and that Chanyeol had actually survived and become so much healthier. 

 

“Come along, Yoora,” Yeongmi said, brushing away tears of happiness from her own cheeks, as she steered the younger girl away from Kyungsoo’s bedroom door. “Let’s give them some privacy.”

 

“Uh, Chanyeol, I’ll be…” Yixing said nervously, to which Chanyeol only nodded, saying, “I’ll be fine, hyung.”

 

“Would you like a tour of the orphanage, Yixing-ssi?” Yeongmi offered, just before they turned to a corner. 

 

“Yes, I would love that,” Yixing replied graciously, voice already fading as they walked on.  “Also my family would be honored if you would accept a small donation on behalf of Chanyeol…”

 

“Of course, that would be wonderful!”

 

That’s very generous of them, Kyungsoo thought as he closed the door with Chanyeol wheeling himself inside the room. 

 

His wheelchair was so much newer and more size appropriate, looking more expensive too.  Now that Kyungsoo could stare at him for longer, he was actually stunned at how much bigger Chanyeol was than he remembered him. 

 

With no blanket covering his lower half, Kyungsoo observed that Chanyeol’s much longer legs were about the same length now and built with so much muscle too.  Did they inject metal in there to support the bones…?  Was that even possible? 

 

The silence was getting too uncomfortable that Chanyeol had the nerve to crack a joke, “Aren’t you… glad to see me?”

 

The next thing he knew, Kyungsoo was punching him on the chest. 

 

Repeatedly.

 

Chanyeol was taken aback at how much force Kyungsoo’s punches were packing because his wheelchair was rolling backward, inch by inch.   He managed to calm himself down enough, to the point where his much larger hand caught Kyungsoo’s fist, because it was beginning to bruise at the impact.  “Hey, hey… stop.”

 

Tears were running down Kyungsoo’s cheeks, as he helplessly buried his face on Chanyeol’s collar, inadvertently sniffing… the smell of smoke.  Not cigarette smoke, but smoke burned out of… fire.

 

His brain was going haywire. 

 

“I thought I was going crazy,” he resentfully wept.  “No one would believe me when I told them you were alive.  Why did you disappear on me like that, and didn’t even tell me why?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol whispered, swallowing, as he could visibly see smoke coming out of his hands.  He had to keep his emotions in check if he wanted to be this near Kyungsoo.  “Yixing… received a call from our father that my doctor’s appointment was moved an hour earlier and that we were already late.  I… underwent a few more surgeries due to complications… that’s why… that’s why I’ve only come back now.”

 

Yixing was a far better liar than Chanyeol, because his best friend’s voice had always shaken when he didn’t tell the truth, and Kyungsoo’s musical ear could perceive the fluctuating quivers in Chanyeol’s voice. 

 

However, Kyungsoo just wanted to believe him, to trust everything that was coming of Chanyeol’s mouth.  “Will you stay this time?”

 

“I…” Chanyeol whispered, pausing for several beats.  “I can’t.”

 

And a heartbroken Kyungsoo hugged him even harder.  “No goodbyes!  Just shut up if that’s what you’re going to say!”

 

Chanyeol couldn’t bear to hear Kyungsoo crying like this.  He patted him gently on the back, praying that he wouldn’t accidentally set him on fire, trying to give him solace, as this was probably the last time he would be able to touch Kyungsoo like this.  “Should we go out for fresh air?  Just like old times?” 

 

A sniffing Kyungsoo leaned back to look at him, to find those benevolent, kind almond-shaped brown eyes b with tears.  “O-Out in the park?”

 

“Yeah.”  Chanyeol tried a wistful smile, dimple digging deep on his left cheek.  “I would love that.”

 

 

***

 

 

While Kyungsoo got ready, Chanyeol thought to wait and spend time with the younger children, and met up with Yixing and Yeongmi eomonim too. 

 

It didn’t take Kyungsoo long, perhaps twenty minutes, including a quick shower.  He simply followed the joyful laughter coming out of the children’s playroom, slowing down as he stared at that handsome young, healthy man on the wheelchair, flaming red hair standing out amongst the people inside, smiling and looking so happy surrounded by the genuine love of the family he grew up with.

 

“Come here, Raeon,” Yoora coaxed, stretching out her arms to a one-year-old toddler learning to walk.  She knelt beside Chanyeol’s wheelchair and told him.  “Look, Oppa.  Raeon is taking his first steps!”

 

Raeon giggled, crinkly gaze focused only on Yoora continuously encouraging him.  Everytime the baby wobbled with his chubby legs, everyone clapped and cheered, routing for the baby to succeed. 

 

After only five steps, Raeon lost his balance.  Everyone gasped as time stood still, as no one would be fast enough to get to the baby on time. 

 

At lightning speed, Chanyeol lunged to save Raeon from hitting his head, a centimeter away from the floor.

 

Until Yixing grabbed the back of Chanyeol’s shirt, causing the latter to collapse on his on the wheelchair and the startled baby began to cry and wail in Chanyeol’s arms.

 

“I’m sorry!  Hyung is sorry, Raeonnie!”  Chanyeol apologized profusely, as Yeongmi eomonim gently took the baby and consoled Raeon by cradling him.

 

“That’s too much excitement for one day.  Don’t you agree, Chanyeollie?” Yixing cleared his throat.  Smoke was emitting from the redhead’s hair that he rapidly fanned it away. 

 

“Ah, Kyungsoo’s here!” Chanyeol looked surprised, stopping Yixing from fawning over him before the shocked expression on best friend’s face already registered that something was out of the ordinary.  “Should we go to the park now?”

 

Kyungsoo only chuckled anxiously, checking around if anyone else noticed that Chanyeol supported himself on both legs to catch the baby for one mere second…

 

Yixing regarded at the administrator and all the orphanage staff apologetically, sad to be the cause of this reunion being cut short.  “It was so nice finally meet everyone who had taken care of Chanyeol before we adopted him.” 

 

Everyone then gathered and hugged Chanyeol goodbye, even the children. 

 

“You’re so cute now, Oppa.  I like your red hair better than your black one," Yoora cooed.

 

“Really?” Chanyeol chuckled, wishing he could revert it to its natural color.  It wasn't for a lack of trying.  Whenever the EXOs assisted in dying his hair back to normal with over-the-counter hair products, the mixture would only sizzle, melt and slide off his red hair.

 

“I hope you and your cute older brother visit us all the time.” With that, Yoora kissed Chanyeol on the cheek, which caused the teenager to blush.

 

Yeongmi eomonim hugged Chanyeol last.  “I am so happy for you, my boy,” she whispered, instantly bursting into tears.  “And never forget we will always be here for you, okay?”

 

“Thank you, eomonim,” Chanyeol couldn’t help shedding a tear.   He didn’t have the heart to tell them that this was goodbye.  He couldn’t even tell Kyungsoo.  “Thank you for everything.”

 

Yixing was pushing Chanyeol’s wheelchair towards the door, when Kyungsoo smiled at him, and Yixing graciously gave in, allowing Chanyeol’s best friend to take over. 

 

Oof!” Kyungsoo laughed when he attempted to push Chanyeol’s wheelchair.  “You’re so much heavier now.” He heaved, drawing more strength, and somehow finally able to propel him forward.

 

“But that’s a good thing, right?” Chanyeol asked, laughing nervously. 

 

“It’s the best thing,” Kyungsoo assured with a smile.

 

Yixing followed them as they excited the door, just as a stretched limo pulled in front of the orphanage.  Before he got in, he turned to Chanyeol and said, “Just give us a call when you’re…”  He glanced briefly at Kyungsoo, who lowered his gaze.  “When you’re ready to leave.”

 

“I will, hyung,” Chanyeol replied as Yixing went inside the back seat, probably with all the EXOs there, and they would be nearby. 

 

They both watched the limo drive away before Kyungsoo thought of proceeding to Chanyeol’s favorite spot in the world.   It wasn’t that far of a distance, as the weather was clear and the wind was cool. 

 

Upon reaching a clearing in the park where their beloved cherry blossom tree stood, which the blooms were long gone but the leaves were still as majestic as ever, Kyungsoo went over to the bench he used to sit on after parking Chanyeol’s wheelchair beside it.

 

Chanyeol inhaled deeply, letting fresh air fill his lungs, gathering enough bravado.  Kyungsoo had been too quiet, hadn’t uttered a single word to him since they left the orphanage.  As he made it clear that he didn’t want him to say goodbye, then Chanyeol didn’t know where or how to start.  It would probably just depress them both.

 

“You’re staring at me,” Chanyeol murmured, idly watching people pass by, as a soft smile played on his lips.

 

Kyungsoo blinked repeatedly, not realizing that was what he was doing.  “Uh… no, I’m not.” He felt an absurd flush creep in his cheeks, as the recent unexplained coincidences kept running through his mind.   

 

He was so ing tired of trying to make sense of it all, even losing sleep and sanity over parallels between his best friend and The Phoenix, when here was Chanyeol right beside him, the only one who could give him the answers.

 

“Or maybe I am… because I wouldn’t have recognized you if I bumped into you on the street.  After only nine months, you show up, coming back from the dead and looking like… a living, breathing action figure!  How good of a cosmetic surgeon is the father who adopted you that there’s hardly any trace of the old Chanyeol anymore, except maybe for what’s inside?”

 

“I’m still me, Kyungsoo-yah.”  Chanyeol gazed at him painstakingly.  Never in a million years would he go back to his old life, as memories of sickness and pain continually plagued him.   He wouldn’t wish it on his worst enemy.  “Why can't you be happy for me?!”

 

“That's such an unfair thing to say, Park Chanyeol!”

 

“I’ve improved!  I’m healthy!  My new family saved my life!”

 

“It should have been me!” Kyungsoo wept.  “It should have been me who saved you!  I should have been the one who went into the factory to get Zzar instead!” 

 

“No, no… Kyungsoo-yah, please.”  Chanyeol’s eyes softened as he reached over to frame Kyungsoo's small face in his big warm hands. “You shouldn’t blame yourself, ever!  I was the one who chose to go after Zzar.  It’s not your fault.”

 

Kyungsoo burst into sobs when Chanyeol adamantly whispered, “You’re the strongest person I know.  You were always the one who centered me like gravity.  When I needed balance, when I needed courage, you gave that to me, selflessly.  I wish I had given you even a fraction of what you have done for me.”

 

“What are you talking about, Chanyeol-rah?” Kyungsoo wheezed through his tears.  “Do you have any idea that you light up any room you push your wheelchair into?”

 

Despite himself, Chanyeol laughed.  “I did?”

 

“You were so passionate and full of life, that even with… your physical limitations, you didn’t stop,” Kyungsoo told him, filling Chanyeol’s heart with joy.  “When you played the piano, learning a new piece, you kept the fire alive.  And that was how you inspired me everyday.” 

 

Chanyeol had prayed for countless days for Kyungsoo to look at him, the way he was looking at him now.

 

As if he was under a spell.

 

Like Chanyeol was, for all of his life, over Kyungsoo.

 

He didn’t even realize that he had closed his eyes as Kyungsoo leaned forward, pressing his mouth on his, his best friend’s heart-shaped lips were even softer, and plumper than Chanyeol had imagined.

 

Chanyeol tenderly caught Kyungsoo’s upper lip in between his, softly, causing a soundless sigh from the smaller one.

 

“I’ve missed you,” Chanyeol admitted finally, giving him yet another chaste, unhurried kiss, thumbs tenderly tracing the apples of his cheeks.

 

So gentle and careful, as if Chanyeol was afraid that he would break.

 

There was that evident smell of smoke again, emitting from… Chanyeol’s chest it seemed.  Kyungsoo felt Chanyeol trying to breathe in and out deeply, but the scent was getting stronger… until Chanyeol suddenly pushed Kyungsoo off him, flinging the smaller one a few feet away on the grass. 

 

Chanyeol looked panicked as fire uncontrollably and rapidly spread all over his body, encompassing everything, even his face. 

 

“I knew it!” Kyungsoo gasped, getting up and running to get to him.   “You’re… You’re The Phoenix!”

 

“No, Kyungsoo-yah, stay away!” Chanyeol warned, inadvertently burning his wheelchair down to a crisp.

 

Unfortunately, they had attracted the attention of a small crowd coming closer to where they were, that Chanyeol suddenly trapped Kyungsoo into his own force field bubble to lift him up in the air. 

 

“You called me by name last night,” Kyungsoo accused, banging on the force field with all his might, irreverent of the precarious heights Chanyeol was taking him to.  “You even dropped me off at the orphanage!”

 

The force field crackled at the contact.  Chanyeol didn’t know what to do, as it had never happened before, not even with the EXOs.    

 

Kyungsoo strained his eyes, and could somehow discern Chanyeol’s features underneath the entrancing embers, rolling waves of flames and fire. 

 

“Let me out of here, Chanyeol-rah!” He demanded, pounding on the force field with both fists now, threatening to crack it open.  “There’s no need to hide from me!  I’m not afraid of you!  Not anymore!”

 

“You should be!” Chanyeol insisted, conjuring another force field around him, until two circles were encapsulating Kyungsoo, who was growing livid at the obstruction he was creating between them.  “You could die!”

 

“I don’t care!  I LOVE YOU!” Kyungsoo punched through the two force fields with such force, they shattered like glass. 

 

The Phoenix watched in horror as the love of his life catapulted back to Earth at warp speed, a couple of thousand feet off the ground.

 

“KYUNGSOO-YAH!!!”  He dove right after him to where Kyungsoo crashed on an open field, creating a giant crater around him.   

 

The EXOs quickly alighted the limo, as they had been driving to follow Kyungsoo and Chanyeol around, ready to avert any disaster. 

 

“That has to be at least a 6.12 magnitude,” Minseok inferred, cringing. 

 

Chanyeol changed into his human form, clad only in the fire-resistant suit that Jongdae made, and climbed into the crater.  “No, Kyungsoo-yah!!!” He fell on his knees in defeat, crawling over to where the smaller one lay unconscious, with cuts and lacerations all over his face and body.  “No!!!”

 

The EXOs found Chanyeol gathering Kyungsoo in his arms, rocking him close to his chest as he cried. “I’m sorry… I never got to tell you I love you, too.  I’ve always love you… always… I love you, Kyungsoo.  I love you...”

 

The EXOs held their breaths when they noticed Kyungsoo stirring, his eyes slowly fluttering open, as he gazed at the strange people behind Yixing, and he could hear Chanyeol crying, and was squeezing him so tightly…

 

“Who…?  Who are they, Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol gasped, checking to see a roused, albeit disoriented Kyungsoo, just a little bit bruised and wounded, but otherwise breathing and alive!  “H-How are you feeling?  D-Do you remember what happened?”

 

“Um…” Kyungsoo turned upwards to the sky.  Was that really how high he had fallen?  “I feel… a little sore.”

 

“Yixing,” Chanyeol called desperately.  Kyungsoo wasn’t bleeding out right now, because he should be, but he wasn't... Chanyeol would have to figure that out later.  “Can we help him?”

 

“Of course,” Yixing immediately put Kyungsoo’s right arm over his shoulder as Chanyeol aided Kyungsoo on his left side.  

 

Only Kyungsoo couldn’t seem to carry his own weight and fell down, causing a minor tremor on the Earth as he did.

 

All of the EXOs, including Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, looked at each other in apprehension.

 

“Uh-oh,” Sehun mumbled.  

 

 

~The End ~