Nine

Collar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TW: mentioned of past abuse, suicide attempt

 

 

 

Chaeyoung's sob died down after a while and she sank further into Mina's embrace. She hadn't cried that hard for a long time, not even when she ran away and hid here. She was angry, she was frustrated and scared, but she didn't cry. The layers of blanket held her securely while she counted the objects inside her room, which were regrettably much fewer than before. Normally she preferred walking, as it helped her calmed down better. But it was out of question now. She couldn’t walk around this house, as it brought back so much memories, and she didn’t want to risk going out and meet Dahyun in the neighbourhood, either. There was nothing else she could do but lying there, in some sort of limbo, until she heard knocks on the door, and someone called her name. For a moment, she thought she was hallucinating until she remembered there was someone living here too.

 

She never wanted anyone to see her like this, so small and weak while she should be stronger. But she's desperate, like a drowning person scrambling around to find anything they can cling onto. As much as she hated people seeing her like this, she hated being lonely even more. She only dared to allow the other person to enter this room by a meek, cautious voice. Chaeyoung guessed she was no different from Mina when they first met, so guarded and vigilant, for the fear of being hurt once again. Like a person tiptoeing to test the water temperature before going in.

 

Now she understood Mina's feeling the first time they met; cautious because they had been hurt so many times, but also too desperate to not accept the offer. She didn't have expectation that Mina could ease her pain, she just wanted someone to be here. When the hybrid girl walked in with a tray of food and placed it in front of her, Chaeyoung was dumbfounded. How long was it since the last time anyone brought food to her room? Not since... The surge of sadness and grief bubbled inside her stomach and quickly took over , rendering her breathless. She gasped for air as the overwhelming sensation clouded her nostrils. In her struggling to get air inside her lungs and keep the last consciousness thought in her mind, she didn't realise her tears were streaming out. Her body moved on its own, latching onto the nearest warmth like a lifesaver, Mina.

 

 

"I'm sorry you have to see me like this." Chaeyoung murmured. Her body was too tired to move from Mina's embrace.

 

Mina chuckled.

"I think we should stop apologising to each other."

She too didn't move away. This was warm, the blanket pile and Chaeyoung. She didn't know how it would feel being held like this. The closest feeling she experienced was on the first day they met, when Chaeyoung draped her coat over her and helped her to walk. But she was too weak and guarded to pay attention to that. It’s nice too, holding Chaeyoung. She didn't know why, but she was sure the human girl needed it.

 

"Do you want to have some food?"

 

Suddenly remembering the dish that took her so much effort to make, Mina attempted to reach out, only being stopped when Chaeyoung latched impossibly closer to her.

 

"Please don't go."

Her voice was tiny and tired, sounding like she's on the verge of sleep. Mina didn't argue. She patted the girl's back, murmuring:

"I'm here."

 

As much as Mina wanted to deny, she didn't want to leave, either. This was warm and much more comforting than anything she had ever experienced with any humans. Did she mention it was warm? Because it really was, and her eyelids were slowly closing themselves down. It didn't help that Chaeyoung's breath was getting even and soothing.

 

***

 

When Mina woke up again, the first thing she felt was warmth, unlike anything she had ever received. It was like the first time she woke up in a bed in this house, but much calmer and more peaceful. This wasn't just from the blanket, but from another body pressing up beside her. She looked down at the girl that was still deep in dreamland. Chaeyoung looked calmer, and rested when she's asleep. The sadness that resided usually on her face was gone, replaced by a calm, relaxed demeanour. Because Chaeyoung had taken the role of caring for the hybrid, Mina had thought she was more mature. But now, looking closer at the girl's relaxed face, Mina realised this Chaeyoung was just a young girl, with puffy cheeks that had been red from all the crying. Her long eyelashes stuck to each other because of the dry tear. Her lips were also puffed, making them even fuller than the usual. There were some red spots, probably resulted from she bit her lips when crying.

 

Mina blamed her curiosity that she brought her hand up and let her finger examine the mole under the girl's lips. What a coincidence. Mina also had a mole under her lips. But Mina's lips weren't as full and soft like Chaeyoung's, Mina concluded when her finger went up to touch the girl's lips. So soft and inviting, like a juicy fruit that was ripening, presenting itself. Too focused on the sensation, Mina didn't realise her face shifted closer in order to take a better look, to the point that it was just centimeters from Chaeyoung's face. She could feel the warm breath from the sleeping girl and it felt like treading some boundary she didn’t know yet. But Mina didn't mind this proximity.

 

Debating if she should get up, this was a compromising position after all, her mind was already protesting the thought of leaving this warm bundle. Especially when the warmth had found a way to reside in every fibre of her body.

 

Chaeyoung's eyes fluttered open and only now did Mina leaned back to keep a respectable distance between them. The girl squinted at everything, seemingly not registered where she's at. Eventually, her eyes landed on their tangled limbs and widened at Mina. Still, she made no move to pull away, either from being too stunned to react or not wanting to lose the warmth. Either way, Mina was glad to know she wasn't repulsed by this intimacy.

 

"Why are we here?" The girl mumbled confusedly, to herself more than to Mina.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter