✈ 03. News

Crosswind Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Trust takes years to build and starting with the truth is the first step.

 


“Hello?”

“Baekhyun? It’s me, Iseul.” 

Silence fell in between them for a few seconds before Baekhyun cleared his throat. 

“We have nothing to talk about. I–”

“I’m pregnant.”

“You’re lying. We hadn’t slept in months before our breakup,” Baekhyun spat. 

“I am not! When–”

“Goodbye, Iseul.” 

With that, he hung up.

***

When his parents told him that Iseul would break his heart, he didn’t believe them. When his friends gave him solid evidence of her suspicious ways. Did he believe them? No. He resumed the toxic relationship until he caught her cheating on him. And that was when he saw her true face. He then began to return images from the past and her very questionable behavior whenever they went out. It was written in the stars that she’d hurt him but he was blinded. 

Was he bothered by her call and the shocking news she said? Yes. 

Because he knew that was not true. The only person she was with was the man she cheated with. And he heard that the two are still together, so why the was she calling him?  

Does that man even know what she had done?

Probably not. 

He felt a painful pang in his heart when he thought of Ara. Should I tell her? But how to tell her? What if she pulls away from me? What if she decides to hate me? 

“No. She won’t. I’ll be honest and tell her everything. Not missing a single detail.” He said. 

True sets you free. His father used to say it all the time and the latter was right. With a sigh, he pulled his phone from his pocket and decided to text her. 


Hey, Ra. How is your morning so far? 

-Byun

Hectic, and yours?

-Ara

Can we talk during your break? There’s something important I’d like to discuss with you.

-Byun

Yes, we can. Why? Is something wrong?

-Ara

No. No. Nothing of that sort. What I am about to say is not for text.

-Byun

Oh...Okay. I hope I didn’t offend you somehow. 

-Ara


He sighed. “She will hate me… She will put me on her list.”


No, you didn’t offend me. I need to drive, so see you in an hour.

-Byun

Yeah, sure… Sorry. 

-Ara

Where are you right now? 

-Byun

At home, about to head out. 

-Ara

Wait for me. I’ll come and pick you up.

-Byun

It’s fine. You don’t have to bother. 

-Ara

I said I will come and pick you up. We are living house to house...neighbor.

-Byun

What? Prove it.

-Ara

Come towards the window. 

-Byun


He saw her drawing one of the curtains and he waved. She blinked and immediately looked down at her phone.


You don’t need to do that. 

-Ara


He hummed. 


I’ll be there in one second. 

-Byun


He hummed as he put his phone in his right pocket and grabbed a duffle bag. It is always good to be prepared to have stuff because he will fly sooner or later. As he walked out he headed towards the porch where she was waiting for him. 

“Good morning, Miss. Waiting for someone?” He hummed. 

She smiled slightly, shaking her head. “You’re crazy, Byun.”

For you. “I know. Come on.” He hummed.

“So, how did you sleep?” She asked as she followed him toward his car. 

“Not very well.” He said, opening the car door for her. “A call I received had me awake most of the night.”

“Oh… is that what you wanted to discuss about?” Ara asked, getting inside.

“I want no secrets between us,” He said.

Ara nodded. “Sure, I’m listening.”

“My ex called last night. The one who broke my heart and who threw me off my tracks.” 

She nodded as she buckled her seatbelt. 

“She now claims she is pregnant with my child. Mind you, we haven’t slept at all since our break up. She was sleeping with that er.” 

“Sue her. But first, investigate. Play her game,” Ara said. “And gather as much evidence as you can.”

He looked at her. “You believe me?”

She nodded. “I have no reason to doubt you. I am not the one to judge. You had a past, like everyone else, and that’s fine. Just make sure to gather evidence. It’s important...” 

He smiled. “Thank you.” 

“No. Thank you for your honesty. I... it’s nice of you to think about me...” Ara said shyly. 

Baekhyun smiled. Thank you, almighty Eunji. He thought as he the engine. 

“Baekhyun?” 

“Hm?” He hummed as he kept his eyes on the side mirror before getting out of the parking spot. 

“Because of the procedure, you will be in the flight simulator today, is that okay?” Ara asked, looking at her phone. “Afterward, you’ll have your first flight… with me.”

“Yes, of course. That’s fine with me.” He replied. 

“Great,” She sighed in relief. “If I survive today’s day, I’ll survive anything. Areum will be there with you and so will one of the engineers, so they will give a few tests, just to see how it goes. I am aware that you have the skills, but as I said, it’s part of the procedure.”

“I know, my father led me through some of those so I know it’s part of protocol.” He nodded.

Ara smiled. “Great. If there is anything you might need, or you have any questions, let me know.”

“I shall.” He winked. 

“So… how do you like it so far?” She asked. “Minus the drama.”

“I love it a lot! I’ll be with my friends,” He smiled. “And you.”

“I’m glad,” She hummed as her cheeks fired up. “Have you eaten anything?”

He was pleased with himself. “Nope, and you?”

“Nope… um… would you like to grab a bite?” Ara mumbled shyly. “I mean… there’s time until the shift starts…”

He smiled. “Yes. With pleasure.”

“How does McDonald’s sound?” 

“Great!” He winked.

Ara smiled, placing her folders away. “If I survive today’s day, I’ll survive anything.” 

“Stop looking at those folders.”

“Sorry,” She mumbled. 

“Lay back,” he said and pulled her seat down, “meditate, look at your right, beautiful landscape.” 

“If only it was that easy,” She replied. “Flying calms me down, but today, that’s impossible.” 

“It is, and you have to. Yes, it's a stressful day, but you don’t need it to be even more stressful.” He said gently, “Plus, you will be today on my flight. I can’t have you stressed while testing me.”

“I am one of those strict instructors,” She teased. 

“You can be a strict instructor but my job is to relax you. Now, lay that pretty head and enjoy.”

“Yes, sir…” 

“No titles either,” He hummed. 

“Is that so?” She hummed, poking his shoulder. 

He chuckled. “Yes,” he said, poking her side gently. 

“A confession for a confession, huh?”

“Indeed.” He hummed.

“What do you think about girls who confess first?” She asked. 

“Very daring. But I’d like to confess. But if you confess first, I’ll reply in the same manner.”

Ara nodded. “I learned my lesson the hard way. You see, when I was in college, I had a crush and my sister told me that it was okay to confess, and I did… it backfired. He made fun of me, told his friends that he… you know… so yeah. Later on, my luck was no better, some were after the money, some were after the body, some were forced… and others didn’t find me interesting, then again, I never really tried.”

Baekhyun slowed the car because of a traffic jam. Yet this traffic jam was bearable - he had Ara. 

“And you don’t have to take charge. My mother said that a woman shouldn’t do the conquest but a man.” Baekhyun smiled. 

Ara nodded. “As I said, I learned my lesson the hard way…”

“Not every man is like that motherer.” He said. 

“I guess you're right… but I can't help but keep my wall up.”

“But you didn’t really. You are slightly warmer to me than yesterday.” He smiled softly.

“You’re not that bad,” She hummed.

“Open the compartment to your right.” He said. 

And she did; only to blink as she saw Kinder Bueno and an energy drink. “How did you know?” 

“Eunji told me.” He grinned.

“Of course,” She chuckled.

“I asked her, it’s not her fault.” He hummed.

“Sneaky …”

“I heard that you are too.” He hummed. 

“Who? Me? Never.”

With that, the two continued enjoying the most blissful traffic jam. 

*

Planning out a simple morning was anything but easy in Ara’s life and once again, she found herself talking on the phone. At first, she listened, as her index finger traced the edge of her soda cup, her eyes focused on the straw. From time to time, she would nod her head. 

“Point?” She asked. 

Silence settled in once again, as Ara rolled her eyes, listening to the latter speak. Baekhyun ate his fries and waited patiently because he realized she was dealing with a serious matter. 

“Let me make this very clear. You had 15 warnings, you have been given more chances than you should. But rules have to be followed. And sometimes lessons have to be learned.”

Baekhyun only frowned as he heard what the male was saying and knowing Ara, that didn’t sit well with her. 

“I don’t care,” She replied simply. “Don’t use your father to threaten me. Or do you want to deal with my sister? Trust me she is worse than me.”

As Ara said, Eunji’s words do strike like a whip. Baekhyun thought. The conversation was cut short and afterward, she called her sister. 

“If I had no patience I’d kill him...” 

“Then you wouldn’t be you. But we need you in full piece, darling. Not falling apart. I’ll wait for him in the afternoon. Sounds good?”

“Good plan. Sunmi will hold the press conference. Has she called you?”

“Yes, she did, and yes. I’ll be with her and I’ll answer all the hot questions. You can watch me.” She joked. “Besides, I am the face of the company.”

“Of course, you will.”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. Ara chuckled and put her phone on speaker. 

“She tried to do modeling but it didn’t work,” Ara whispered. 

“I am not crazy to be as skinny as those poor girls! And I hate heels! Do you know how high heels they wear?! Can you see me wearing those?” 

Baekhyun saw her chuckling. Areum is right, the only person who can relax Ara is Eunji.

“No. You and heels don’t go together, unnie.” 

“Exactly! Give me combat boots and a military uniform or a black leather jacket! That’s my style!”  

Ara laughed. “Ji, I’ll place you to be the ambassador of combat boots, and then you can rant all you want.” 

“They’d die from my motivational speak.” 

“I didn’t! Don’t talk like that.” Ara huffed. 

“Shoo, eat your food. Don’t let me stop you! And no, don’t rush, take your time. Are we clear?” 

“Yes, ma’am.”  

As she hung up she sighed and finally began to eat her triple cheeseburger. From all the stress her hunger multiplied and he couldn’t blame her; an accident could be lethal for all not just for passengers. Physical and emotional pain is the worst kind. He saw a lot of instances where pilots ignored the usual protocol. But some don’t. So he understood why she felt stressed. However...her strictness comes from elsewhere. She is not made to be strict, Areum said Ara was cheerful and laid back but something changed her. In Jongin’s case, his friend raced and decided to make a full of himself and died in a motorbike accident. That is why he had a strict ethical code. Just like Ara. There was more to the story, and Baekhyun could only assume what it was. 

“Everything okay, Ra?” 

She nodded. “Just stressed… Plus, the memorial day is approaching.”

“Memorial Day?” He asked.

“Yes.” 

In her eyes, he saw sadness. In her voice, he heard the pain. “Ra, did someone you knew make a mistake?”

“Yes,” Ara sighed. “A very stupid mistake that cost her her life and the lives of 500 people on board, including staff.”

Baekhyun looked at her. “That was on the news...I am sorry...that’s hard.” 

“My dad tried everything to somehow suppress the news from having me involved. I was a pilot instructor at the time. And..”

“But it got worse?” 

“You can say that again,” She replied, leaning back into the chair, and eating her fries. 

Baekhyun looked at her. “Jongin, Chanyeol, Jaejoong, and I had this friend. He was younger and you can imagine his mind. He thought he was great. We all used to illegally race here and there, he took it seriously, and he got involved with some people.” 

Ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter