✈ 01. Prologue

Crosswind Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Don't judge. Behind every person, there's always a reason why they are the way they are.

- Unknown

 


“Gear down,” She ordered as she adjusted the parameters on the panel above her. 

“Gear down, the first officer replied.” 

“Status on fuel?” She asked. 

“Half-full,” The engineer replied. 

She only nodded. “Request for landing, Min. And do me a favor, don’t up like last time.” 

“Yes, ma’am!” 

Ara waved her hand and focused on the controls in front of her before she the speaker. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, minors as well. This is your captain speaking. We will be landing soon, please keep in your seats. The flight attendants will be there to assist you and prepare you. Thank you for choosing Kang Air.” 

With that, she turned off the radio and checked the parameters again. The moment the plane landed, Ara stayed in the cockpit. 

“Min, what did you forget?” She asked. 

Chanyeol, the engineer, bit his inner cheek but didn’t say anything as he started filling out the report. He knew better than to say a single word. The only one who can get away with it is Eunji, but she is an older sister and knows how to handle Ara. Where Chanyeol likes to avoid any unnecessary conflict which can’t be said for Areum, his wife. Areum and Ara have been friends since childhood, and the two had their fair share of arguments, especially work-related. Usually, when they start to argue, it’s better to leave them alone. 

Min bit his lower lip and looked at her. “I forgot to ask for another confirmation.” 

Ara nodded. “And why did I tell you last time?” 

Chanyeol signaled him to relax and gave him a thumbs up. This is why he believes there should be times to relax because Ara spreads strange tension among her peers. Even Areum, who loves her, said the same. Her problem was that she was married to her job - she was like a female version of Atila. She was strict and she wanted things to be done correctly. If not – well . That is why in their company you can sense two atmospheres - in Ara’s, there was a very stressful and often tense atmosphere, and in Eunji’s department, you can sense a completely different atmosphere. Perhaps, that is why their parents decided to include Eunji as well to lead the company with Ara and to try and loosen her up. 

Ara was a typical Capricorn and it drove them all crazy. At times, it was hard to figure her out, but at times, she was all fun. 

“Min, answer my question,” She said. “What did I tell you last time? You have talent but your mind is in a mess.”

“I am sorry...” He bowed apologetically. “You said it’s important to seek permission to land to avoid a possible accident.”

“And this is the second time you made the same mistake, Min. What’s going on?” 

“I had a death in the family...I didn’t want to seek permission for another absence, because I overused it already...” He said. 

Ara sighed. “Chanyeol, what’s my policy in such circumstances?”

“To seek permission anyways.” He said. 

“Exactly. Min, do you want this job?” 

“Yes, desperately...” 

“You are a talented young man,” Ara said. “And the only reason I am giving you a third chance is because I know you can do it. But remember, this is your final chance. It’s more than I usually tolerate. So, here’s the deal. Take the next week off, clear your mind, and then we will start again, okay?”

Chanyeol cracked a light smile and showed a thumbs up to Min. 

“Thank you, ma’am! Thank you! I promise I will not make the mistake again.” 

“Good, now off you go. I’ll finish this up.” 

Min bowed once again and left, leaving Ara and Chanyeol alone. 

“And that is what Eunji said you should do - be kinder, smile more. Don’t be an angry bird.”

Ara rolled her eyes. “Park, finish that report and stop rubbing off Eunji.”

“I already did, you just didn’t see it. As for that, Eunji is right, and has eyes and ears.” 

“Of course. You and my sweet friend.”  

He handed her the report. “I heard you are going on a blind date tonight. Have fun,” He winked.

“Thanks… I guess.”

“And that is not a good attitude you should show on the date.” Eunji’s voice hummed as she entered the cockpit. 

Ara sighed. “Can’t I just be a cat lady?”

“Nope.” 

“But… Ji...” 

“No buts.”

“What am I supposed to talk about? My job? My uninteresting hobbies? Oh, come on!” 

“Be yourself? Relax? Have you heard about those?” Eunji narrowed her eyes at her sister. 

“You are like mom...” Ara mumbled. 

“And you take after our sweet good old dad. You love to just read and work.” Eunji responded, “Be yourself, be honest, so what if the subject returns to your work? Maybe he is a y pilot like Maverick.” 

“...I wish I was half as interesting as that teacher in a movie...” Ara mumbled. “But, a movie is a movie and I ain’t no actress.”

“‘Take my breath away....’” Eunji began to sing, her voice echoing. 

Ara blinked and covered the latter’s mouth. “I am not dating material. You’ll see. He’ll walk away. Men nowadays want big s and asses, less intelligence. Do I look like those women? No, and I never will, nor do I want to. Yes, I also am skinny-fat.”

Chanyeol blinked. “You barely eat anything...what the hell? I am telling this to Areum...” 

“Poor your future husband...” Eunji sighed. 

“What future husband?” Ara rolled her eyes. 

“The blind date one.” Eunji sighed. 

“Eunji,” Ara said. “Don’t mess around.” 

“‘Don’t mess around’,” she mimicked her. 

Ara sighed and got up. “I have a meeting. I’ll see you later.” 

There was a time when Ara wasn’t always this serious, but the people she met in her life changed her and she learned some things the hard way. Eunji is aware of that and she did everything in her power to help her. She knew Ara’s reasons and how much she suffered throughout the whole elementary school and academy for her cheerful personality. 

And the fact their aunt is Japanese. 

How to explain children’s cruelty to someone like Ara? Ara used to be outgoing as a child and she loved mingling with others and making new friends, but others disliked her. Aside from Areum, everyone else was bothered by her bubbly personality and they would often make fun of her looks or the birthmark she had under her chin. The events that happened in her life changed her from the core.

She became an introvert.

Distant and cold.

Little did they know that she was a caring and charming person under that mask of hers - but if you ask her, it was for the best. 

Brushing her thoughts away, she reached for her phone which started to vibrate in her inner jacket pocket, and looked at the screen. 

Appa. 

“I haven't forgotten the date tonight,” She said the moment she answered the phone. “I promised to go, so I'll go and embarrass myself some more.”

“I will give you that when I catch you. What do you mean embarrass yourself more?!”

“I mean the way I said it.” 

“Oh, we all know the way you say that. And that is why your sister is right. You must change your attitude. The more you think negatively, the more negative will happen.”

“Appa,” She sighed. “I try–”

“Appa nothing. You know very well I am right."

“Why do I have to date? I am happy the way I am…”

“Grumpy, too strict, stressed...” 

“Yah! That is not true!” 

“Really?”

Entering her office, she closed the door. “I'm scared, okay? So far all the attempts you and my sister have tried failed.” 

“Can you just try this once, please? You need someone in your life who you can come home to, with whom you can share that burden. You can’t just be ‘married to your job’, it is not healthy, Ara.” Her father sighed. 

“I am doing it just this once and that's it.”

“Thank you, sweetie...”

“Yeah… did you take your meds? Did you eat?”

“I’ll give you my nurse here...who acts like Hitler if I don’t do it.”

“I’ll smack you...” Her mother huffed. 

Ara chuckled. “Way to go, Omma!”

“Your dad took pills and ate on time, now he is resting as he should. I am keeping a watchful eye on him.” 

“Like an eagle?”

“Like a harpy if he doesn’t behave as he should.”

“You should scold our daughter for being stubborn!” He mumbled.

“Our other daughter does the job diligently, I will not move a finger. Ara has 29 in her , she is a grown-up woman who can make her own decisions. So...I am just going to observe the situation.” Her mother said. 

“Thank you.”

“You’re most welcome. Now off you go! You don’t want to be late!” Her father jumped in. 

“Bye!” 

With that, she hung up.

“ my life…” She grumbled. 

Throwing her phone onto her desk, she went back to work. 
 


The peaceful silence broke the sounds of two planes in the blue sky leaving nothing but white marks after them. In one plane was Baekhyun and in another Chanyeol. The two loved flying and no matter how tired they were, they were always up for flying. 

“How was work?” Baekhyun asked over the radio. 

“Don’t ask...” 

“It can’t be that bad.” Baekhyun said, “You just have to follow rules--”

“It doesn’t have to do with rules. Just the fact that she creates an unnecessarily stressful atmosphere. Even my Areum agrees.” 

Baekhyun checked the controls. “Is she that bad? Are you sure you are following the all rules, Park?” 

“Are you for real?”

He chuckled. “Sorry, had to ask.” 

“Anyway, are you nervous about your blind date?”

“You haven’t responded to my question, Park,” Baekhyun said, avoiding to respond. 

“Yes, I follow them. We all do. Your turn.”

He rolled his eyes. “No, Park, I am not nervous. Must you be a pain in my ?”

“You are the same, Byun.”

Baekhyun smirked. “I am just asking questions...so how’s your day today?”

“Very hectic. My question to you is - are you crazy to seek a job at Kang Air?”

“I already did.” 

“Oh, dear… your death sentence, not mine. Good luck.”

Baekhyun shook his head. 

Why does he talk like this? 

Things can’t be that bad, right? 

“Good luck, dude. Good luck. True, Kang Air is one of the best airlines in terms of service, heck you even get promotions and the pay is good… but yeah.”

Baekhyun only nodded before the two landed their planes in its garage. As he hopped out of the capsule, he jumped down. “Sometimes jokes should be minimal, I get that… but you make it sound as if she is this… Boogey woman…” 

“She’s married to her job,” Chanyeol shrugged. “You should hear her scream.”

“I am too… I am married to a plane. You know that!”

“But you’re different. You haven’t lost that sense of humor.”

“Well, if she finds someone is not doing a proper job like for example my former boss who lets controllers do whatever they want, of course, she’ll scream. People are nasty motherers.”

Chanyeol blinked. “You two will get along perfectly… Dang.”

“Well, that’s good.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter