Chapter 4

The Hunter Or The Hunted?

(An Old Friend)

Jooyeon stares at the man at the door. "I don't believe it..." She takes a step towards him and stares at him. "Joonwook? Is that you?"

He breaks into a smile. "Long time no see, Jooyeon noona."

"Oh my God! Joonwook!" Jooyeon runs over to him and hugs him tightly, burying her face in his chest. Under normal circumstances, Jooyeon isn't the type to cry. But after seeing her old friend, tears well up in her eyes. "It is you... I-I missed you..." she sniffs, holding back the tears

"Hey, take it easy. Your wounds are still healing," Joonwook says, flustered as he carefully hugs her back. After a moment of embrace, Jooyeon lets go and wipes her tears. "I was coming here to check up on you. I was surprised to find you awake."

 

Jooyeon runs her hands over her torso, feeling the bandages through her shirt. "How long was I out?"

"You've been asleep for about a week now. Hyeyoung gave you really strong anesthetics before your surgery to remove those bullets." Joonwook lets out an exasperated sigh and frowns at Jooyeon. "I can't believe you were so reckless, Noona. You haven't fought in over ten years. You're not as agile as you were. You could have died if my men and I didn't make it to the dorm in time!"

"I remember seeing three men before I passed out... Was that you?" Jooyeon asks.

Joonwook nods and his eyes become cold. "As soon as we entered your room and I saw you on the bed bleeding, I immediately shot the man who shot you in the head. I was mad."

Jooyeon was silent for a moment. Then she takes a breath. "What about the other men?"

"We killed three of them. You killed the other two." Joonwook watches as Jooyeon's expression saddens. He knows what she was thinking. "Noona, you didn't have a choice. It was either you or them."

"I know... It's just I swore to myself when I left the Hunters that I would never kill anyone again," Jooyeon whispers sadly.

"You might have to kill again though... Jisoon, the man who killed your parents, is after you. I'm sure you got the call from Haesuk." Jooyeon nods, face serious. "You want to talk to him now? I think it's best to hear it from him. Follow me."

As she follows Joonwook out the room, she knows for sure where she is: the Hunters' Mansion. The interior design reminds you of the grandest hotels but from the outside you would believe it was nothing but the ordinary. Her room was on the second floor and she follows Joonwook down the stares with ease; her wounds didn't hurt as much. They get to the main floor and Joonwook opens the door leading to the basement. They go down two more flights of stairs and walk down the lighted hallway.

"It's hard to believe it's been ten years since I've been here." Jooyeon lightly chuckles. "And look at you, you're so tall now! I bet you're the ace of the Hunters now huh? I wouldn't be surprised if you are."

Joonwook smiles slightly. "Yeah, I am and I'm six feet tall now. But look at you. Part of a Korean girl group. I have to admit you've gotten more beautiful over the years."

Jooyeon's face gets hot and coughs in embarrassment as she changes the subject. "So um... You've been with the Hunters all these years?"

"My parents abandoned me when I young. Haesuk and the Hunters are my family now so it's only natural that I stay here." Joonwook pauses. "I'm glad you're back, even if it's under dangerous circumstances. It gets hard sometimes without you here. You and Miya are my closest friends. It was hard enough with what happened to Miya and then you decided you'd leave us."

Jooyeon lowers her eyes as they walked. "If it wasn't for me and my stupid revenge, Miya would be alive right now..."

"Jooyeon noona, don't say that..."

"You know it's true, Joonwook... No matter what the reason." They end up in front of a metal door with a passcode lock. Joonwook motions Jooyeon to use it. Still remembering the code, she inputs the code and the door unlocks and she opens the door. An old man is at a wooden desk observing the computer monitors around him. He jumps at the sound of the door opening but smiles in surprise as his eyes fall on Jooyeon. Despite herself, Jooyeon smiles at him. "I'm back Haesuk."

"Jooyeon... It's good to see that you're okay. I know this must be hard for you, returning back to the mansion."

"I'm glad you are well too. I was initially upset, but I can't ignore the fact Jisoon is after me now. What's going on?"

Haesuk clears his throat before speaking. Jooyeon notices what she thought was anger and... disappointment in his eyes. "Since the day you left the Hunters, Jisoon and his gang went into hiding. We didn't know what he was planning so our remaining Hunters, including Joonwook, tried to track them down to capture them." Jooyeon takes a quick glance at Joonwook but his expression is unreadable. "For all these years, he's managed to avoid us... Until Catch finally found someone that will interest you when he hacked into the street light cameras in downtown Seoul just recently."

"Catch?" Jooyeon asks.

"It's only an alias, although he's never told us his real name. He's a really talented hacker. Haesuk found him three years ago and he's been part of the Hunters since," Joonwook quickly explains.

Jooyeon nods understandingly. "So who did Catch see when he was looking through the cameras?"

"You only see her for four seconds before she turns a corner, but in one camera we saw... Eunli," Haesuk tells her slowly, already expecting a reaction from Jooyeon.

At the sound of Eunli's name, Jooyeon's blood boils with anger. She tightens a fist. "She's alive?! I thought Miya killed her!" Jooyeon growls.

Haesuk sighs. "She's very much alive. I'm guessing Jisoon managed to save her after your last fight. We dispatched a group of Hunters to follow her trail and found that Jisoon, Eunli, and others form his gang were settled in your family's old mansion. At the cost of a Hunter's life, we learned that Jisoon found the special DNA sensor metal door that leads to your inheritance that your father left you. I'm sure you're aware that the only way that door will open is if you're body is present."

"That's it? That's what this is about?! ing money?!" Jooyeon yells, furious. "What the hell!"

"Jisoon hasn't changed these past ten years. He just wants more money, more power." Haesuk looks at Jooyeon with apologetic eyes. "Jooyeon, I'm terribly sorry. If only we were able to capture him before all of this happened, you would still be living a calmer, safer life as a Korean pop idol."

 

(The Return of the Hunter)


Jooyeon shakes her head and, with determined eyes, stares at Haesuk. "No, it's not your fault. In a way, I suppose my past is finally back to haunt me. I left the Hunters and sought for a normal life to forget everything that has happened to me, but I was only running away from the inevitable. If Jisoon wants me then he has to come get me. I'm not going to give in without a fight."

"You're not doing this alone I hope you know," Joonwook says, placing a hand on her shoulder. Jooyeon smiles for the first time since the conversation started.

Haesuk walks back to his desk and pulls a box out from a drawer. He gives it to Jooyeon. "Are you returning to us... Hunter Lee Jooyeon?" Jooyeon nods and takes the box from him, opening it.

It has the red contacts of the Hunter and her gun that used to belong to her father.

She closes the box. "I want to start my training. I'm not going to be match for Eunli in my current state."

"But you're still injured," Joonwook frowns at her hasty decision.

"Hyeyoung says her wounds are all healed already. You're just going to be sore in the torso. As expected of a Lee, your bodies heal fast," Haesuk comments. "Joonwook, I leave her training to you."

"Don't go easy on me, Joonwook," Jooyeon smirks, earning a chuckle from her old friend.

"Ah yes. Jooyeon, I have your cell phone here. You have a lot of... messages and missed calls," Haesuk says softly, handing the phone to Jooyeon.

Jooyeon's heart aches when she sees how many texts and missed calls were from her members in After School. She knows they must be worried about her, but Jooyeon knows that as of now, she can be no longer part of After School. It would be too dangerous to stay with her members when a man is willing to do anything to capture her. Jooyeon realizes she has one voicemail. She puts her phone to her ear to listen to the message. Her eyes widen and she holds her breath upon hearing the voice.

Jooyeon unnie... It's Nana... Please... Please please please answer our calls... My calls. U-Unnie... Where are you...?

A pause as Nana holds back a sob.

Pick up... Give us a message... Please let me know you're okay... J-Jooyeon p-please... don't be... If you're... there.. Come back to us... Please...

Jooyeon shuts her eyes, unable to take the painful sobs coming from Nana's message. Joonwook and Haesuk watch Jooyeon, sympathy in their eyes.

Y-You promised me that you'd always be there f-for me... that you'd protect me from sadness... J-J-Jooyeon...!

The last remaining seconds involve the sounds of Nana finally breaking down and crying. Jooyeon bites down on her bottom lip and squeezes her eyes shut harder, holding back her own tears. She closes her voicemail and hangs her head down.

"Noona..." Joonwook says softly.

Jooyeon slowly inhales and grips her phone tightly. To Joonwook and Haesuk's surprise, Jooyeon uses all of her strength and throws her phone against the wall behind her. The phone breaks and shatters into pieces upon impact.

Jooyeon looks up at them with a forced, fake smile.

"There... I won't be tempted to call them anymore," Jooyeon says with a bitter cheer.

--------------------

Twelve days.

Twelve days have passed since that horrible day.

Nana is awake, lying flat on her back. She turns her head to the side to look at her digital alarm clock. It was 5:33 in the morning and the sun already beginning to rise. These days, Nana has trouble sleeping. Although she is now to weary to cry, her mind can't have peace unless she knows what happened to Jooyeon. She always has Jooyeon's ring on, only to take it off when she washes her hands and showers. Sighing, Nana gets up and puts on skinny jeans and a jacket. Seeing as no one else is awake, Nana quietly leaves the dorm and goes on a walk, hoping the fresh morning air will ease her mind at least somewhat.

The blonde walks down the empty streets alone, her only company was the sound of birds chirping. After about a half-mile walk, Nana notices someone wearing a black coat a few feet ahead of her. From the back, it was obvious it was a girl with such a feminine body structure and the long, silky, brown hair. Nana blinks; something about that hair was familiar to her. Out of curiosity, Nana stops walking to stare at the girl. The girl was walking down the same road at an unusually fast pace. The girl reaches an intersection and makes a sharp turn around the corner. As she turns, Nana manages to catch a side glimpse of the girl's face and makes a loud gasp.

"Jooyeon unnie?" Nana whispers out loud. "Was that... Is that really her?" Not waiting a second longer, Nana jogs after the girl and turns the corner. The girl is gone, confusing Nana. As she continues to walk down the new street, a strong arm suddenly pulls her into an alleyway, causing her to yelp in surprise. Immediately Nana's eyes meet with the front of a gun, causing her eyes to widen and her heart beating frantically.

"... Nana?" a very familiar voice rings in Nana's ears.

Looking past the gun, Nana stares at the person holding the gun. Tears form in her eyes as she realizes it is her missing member.

 

(Unexpected Reunion)


"J-Jooyeon," Nana whispers, almost inaudibly. Her intuition is right; the girl she was following is Jooyeon. Nana notices that her eyes area red color but that is the least of her concerns. "JOOYEON!" Nana cries as she rushes at Jooyeon, wrapping her arms around the older girl.

Jooyeon freezes as Nana quickly hugs her. The sudden hug causes her to drop her gun. She feels the younger girl hugging her tighter.

"You're okay... You're alive... Oh thank God... You're really here in front of me..." Nana says, tears of joy streaming down her cheeks, her face buried into Jooyeon's shoulder.

Jooyeon remains silent, trying to keep an apathetic expression. She had no idea that the person following her was Nana. She thought it was Eunli. She wasn't supposed to be seen by Nana or any of her After School members. But with Nana right here in front of her, so close to her, Jooyeon yearns to follow her back to the dorm.

Yet she knows very well she can't.

Jooyeon gently pushes Nana away only to cup her face with her hands and brush away her tears with her fingers. Nana smiles, placing her hand on Jooyeon's. The warmth coming from her unnie's hand is proof that Jooyeon is really in front of her.

Jooyeon takes a step closer to Nana, wrapping her left arm around the blonde's neck, giving her a one-armed hug. Nana feels Jooyeon shaking.

"Jooyeon unnie?" She asks softly.

"I'm sorry Nana."

Before she could speak, Nana lets out a grunt of pain as Jooyeon punches her hard in the stomach. Shocked, Nana clutches Jooyeon's shoulders as she struggles to stay conscious. In seconds, she blacks out and collapses to the ground.

Her final memory is Jooyeon's red eyes staring down at her.

-------------

A/N: The foreword will soon be updated. If you want to understand more of the people mentioned in this chapter, go check out the foreword for everything to make a little more sense (: Thank you for reading everyone!