Chapter 7

The Hunter Or The Hunted?

(Together Again - Them of Ch. 7)

When Jooyeon wakes up, her head is pounding fiercely and her left shoulder feels somewhat sore, yet that doesn't concern her as much. Her face turns pale and her eyes widen as she realizes she's in her bed in After School's dorm. Looking up, the Hunters finds the members of After School standing around her but keeping their distance, eyeing Jooyeon with mixed emotions. Jooyeon's throat goes dry as her gaze momentarily lingers on Nana. The blonde stares back into the brunette's eyes, making Jooyeon feel uncomfortable; she still feels guilty about what she did to Nana a few days ago. Jooyeon lowers her gaze down to the bed sheets, unable to continue looking at Nana.

"Guys..." she hesitantly begins.

Suddenly, she is engulfed in a group hug by E-Young, Raina, and Lizzy. The three younger girls burst into tears as soon as they hug Jooyeon tightly. Jooyeon gasps as she almost tumbles backwards from their hugs. Her expression softens, a sad smile on her face, as she looks at the younger girls before her, their delicate faces stained with tears and their chests heaving due to their sobbing. Lizzy, E-Young, and Raina separate themselves from Jooyeon and look at her with watery eyes. 

"U-Unnie... You're okay... I'm so glad.. So happy... Unnie..." Lizzy cries, continuing to wipe the never-ending tears away with her hands.

"Yah... Lee Jooyeon... H-How could you be s-so mean and ignore us, huh? Y-You're so...." Raina fails to finish her sentence as she chokes out a sob.

E-Young could not say a thing as emotion overwhelms the group's current maknae as she cries out her relief.

Jooyeon's heart cracks at their words. She motions to envelope the three in the hug, but they already get up from her bed and retreat back against the wall. Jooyeon carefully pushes herself out of bed to follow them, but the painful throb returns to her head and she winces in pain. As she stands up, Jooyeon almost loses her balance when someone grabs her by the waist, supporting her. Jooyeon's eyes meets the big yet gentle eyes of Uee. Tears silently slide down the actress' delicate cheeks.

"Uee..." Jooyeon quietly says. She gasps when Uee pulls her into a tight embrace. The girls rest their chins on each other's shoulders. Another crack forms on her heart as Jooyeon feels Uee's body tremble. Although she could not see her face, Jooyeon knows she is quietly crying.

"You're back... Welcome back, Jooyeon unnie..." Uee gently whispers in the older girl's ear and hugs her tighter, desperately.

Jooyeon snakes her arms around Uee's waist, hugging her back. Jooyeon wants to speak, to respond to Uee, but no words leave . She relunctantly lets go of Uee as the younger girl moves away as Raina, Lizzy, and E-Young did before her. Jooyeon blinks apologetically at Uee and feels slightly relieved when Uee nods understandingly in response.

Bekah walks up to Jooyeon next and, without hesitation, hugs Jooyeon a bit more fiercely than the others. Jooyeon's lips curve into a small smile as she hugs Bekah back. Ever since the incident that happened with her choking Soyoung, Jooyeon developed a friendship with Bekah that was different from the others. Because Bekah's lack of certain words of the Korean language and the fact she herself could never outright say how she feels, Jooyeon and the young rapper conveyed their feelings through actions and expressions. When it came to something as intimate as their emotions, Bekah and Jooyeon never exchange words because they were not needed. The time they've been together improved their senses on each other.

Now is no different.

In Bekah's firm yet gentle embrace, Jooyeon could feel what Bekah is feeling. Her anger, her frustrations, her sadness, her relief... Jooyeon feels all those emotions from just one hug. Bekah harshly pulls away, much to Jooyeon's sadness, and stands next to Uee. 

The next person to step towards Jooeyon is Jungah. Much like Lizzy, Jungah's eyes are streaming with tears. Jooyeon knows how sensitive and emotional Jungah can be. Jungah stands about a foot away from Jooyeon, locking eyes with Jooyeon. Jooyeon couldn't take it; she's never seen Jungah cry like this before.

Jooyeon takes a step forward. "Jung-"

Her sentence is interrupted as Jungah fiercely slaps her across the face.

Stunned, Jooyeon stares at Jungah, a hand on the cheek Jungah slapped. The skin radiates warmth as a stinging sensation emits from her cheek. Jooyeon couldn't believe Jungah slapped her and neither could the younger members as they gasp.

"You idiot!" Jungah yells angrily. More tears appear and trail down her face. "H-How could you not tell us you were okay?! We thought you were DEAD...! We called and called and called... We sent you so many texts... We gave up on contacting you but we still hoped you'd somehow come back to us..." Jungah buries her face into her hands and begins to sob almost uncontrollably. "W-Why...?! Why couldn't you let us k-know you were o-okay?!"

Jooyeon wants to hug Jungah so much, but something is telling her she doesn't have the right to at this time. She balls a hand into a fist, guilt stabbing her conscious. She lets out a tiny yelp when Kahi suddenly steps forward and makes her lean forward, capturing Jooyeon in a headlock. "K-Kahi unnie!" Jooyeon says, surprised.

"YAH LEE JOOYEON!! WHY ARE YOU HIDING SO MUCH FROM US?!" Kahi demands. She tightens her arms around Jooyeon's neck, causing the younger girl to try to wiggle free. Jooyeon is about to complain how her head is still throbbing, but Kahi soon loosens her hold on her. Speaking more softly, Kahi continues. "Why are you so adamant on hiding what pains you from us...? Why do you assume that hiding your suffering is the best option? Why must you carry whatever heavy burdens you have on yourself...?" Kahi lets go of Jooyeon, steps back, and looks her in the eyes. Jooyeon feels like crying as she sees Kahi's eyes filled with tears. 

Tears finally flow from Jooyeon's eyes as both Kahi and Jungah hug her protectively. 

"We both always told you, Jooyeon, that we'd always be there to listen to you whenever you're in pain," Kahi tells her.

"We're a family... Your pain is our pain. I understand you must have a past you don't want to talk about, but please don't punish yourself by weighing so many burdens on yourself... We all love you but it hurts us when you don't tell us anything..." Jungah whispers softly.

Jooyeon opens her heart and begins to cry. "I'm so sorry... I'm sorry.... I-I'm sorry..." She continues to apologize as she cries. The appa and omma of After School cradle their daughter in their arms as the daughter releases all the tears she's been holding back.

"Jooyeon unnie..."

Jooyeon looks to the side and finds Nana standing there. Kahi and Jungah look at each other knowingly and step aside as Nana moves closer to Jooyeon. Hesitantly, Jooyeon looks into Nana's eyes, fearing she'd find anger and betrayal in her brown orbs. Instead, she sees nothing but relief, happiness, and... what Jooyeon thought is love in Nana's eyes. Jooyeon expected Nana would have been hurt by her actions. Jooyeon's eyes widen as Nana has a smile on her face, not a tear shed. Jooyeon's heart swells with emotion.


Once upon a time, when Nana and Raina first joined the group, Jooyeon could not stand the sight of Nana. When a manager brought the two new members into their dorm. Jooyeon's eyes widen at the sight of Nana; she was almost the spitting image of Miya. The only difference was that Nana's hair was blonde during their Because of You promotions. It scared Jooyeon that Nana also had the same surname as Miya. In Jooyeon's eyes, it was like Miya's death and her past were haunting her whenever Nana was present. The guilt of not being able to save Miya was increased tenfold whenever she glanced at Nana. The other members noticed how she kept her distance from Nana but said nothing regarding the issue. 

One day, Jooyeon was passing by Nana's room when she heard soft sobs coming from inside. Without permission, Jooyeon let herself inside and found Nana crying on the floor. When Nana looked up at her with tears in her eyes, she gasped in surprise. Jooyeon apathetically asked what was wrong. Nana responded the idol life wasn't what she thought it was. Nana was also bothered the fact Jooyeon stared at her with such cold eyes; she didn't understand what she did to receive such treatment. Nana asked Jooyeon if she hated her. It was then Jooyeon finally saw Nana for who she was, instead of the shadow of Miya. Immediately, Jooyeon felt guilty. Jooyeon bent down and enveloped Nana in a hug, explaining to Nana it was all her fault and that the younger girl did nothing. Although Jooyeon did not explain herself completely, being in Jooyeon's arms was enough for Nana as she closed her eyes and leaned into Jooyeon's hug. That was the beginning of their friendship that would gradually strengthen as time goes by.


Back to the present, Nana hugs the older girl and begins to the back of her head, much like what Jooyeon did to her before. Jooyeon's lips tremble as she begins to speak. "I'm sorry what I did to you, Nana... I didn't want to... But... I..." Jooyeon flinches when Nana places a soft finger on her lips, silencing her before wrapping her arms around Jooyeon's neck again.

"Shh... It's okay... I know you had your reasons..." Nana whispers in Jooyeon's ear. "I know you did what you did because you care about me... I know you, Unnie.." Nana pauses momentarily, hugging Jooyeon tighter so that their bodies are pressing against each other. Her body begins to shake uncontrollably but Nana refuses to start crying; she has cried enough. "I just... I wish you could have told me what was wrong that day you gave me your ring... I wish you answered my calls... Because y-you didn't a-answer, I... I..."

Nana bites down on her quivering lip.

A tear falls.

She couldn't hold it in anymore

"I THOUGHT I LOST YOU!!!" Nana cries, burying her face into Jooyeon's shoulder. The blonde sobs harder and harder after those words she's been fearing to say leave her lips.

"You didn't, Nana.... I'm here... I'm right here..." Jooyeon whispers so softly, almost inaudible. Jooyeon hugs Nana tighter, closing her eyes and enjoying the sweet smell of Nana and the warmth she radiates. "I'm so sorry I put you through all this pain..."

-------------------

Minutes later, everyone sits with Jooyeon on her bed, except for Kahi and Jungah who are standing in front of the bed frame. Jooyeon turns to Kahi. "How did I end up in the dorm?"

Kahi flinches at the question. She places a hand on her chest and bows her head. "I was driving everyone home from dinner because the managers let us out. Suddenly, a person zoomed passed us, scaring me and Jungah. What we didn't expect was another person popping out of nowhere. I didn't have time to react! I couldn't believe the person was you though, Jooyeon... I'm so glad I wasn't driving too fast since I was in a neighborhood."

"How are you feeling, Jooyeon? After we collided with you, your head was slightly bleeding," Jungah asks, voice dripping with concern.

"I'm alright. My left side is just a little sore and I think my headache went away," Jooyeon assures the omma with a smile but behind the smile, she suddenly remembers why she was near After School's dorm in the first place. Not only that, she is also aware where the conversation is going to go.

Kahi and Jungah look at each other before facing Jooyeon. "Jooyeon..." Kahi begins hesitantly. "Where have you been all this time? And why are you wearing red contacts?"

Jooyeon's eyes harden as she glares warily at Kahi. Everyone could feel the tension coming from Jooyeon as her demeanor completely changes. Kahi's throat goes dry as she looks into Jooyeon's intimidating red, cold eyes. The last time she's seen Jooyeon like this was the incident with Soyoung. Still, Kahi refuses to back down; she wants answers.

"Is it true you pointed a gun at Nana?" Kahi demands.

Nana holds in her breath as Jooyeon's eyes flicker in her direction before eyeing Kahi again. Jooyeon stays silent for a moment before replying. "Yes, but only because I thought she was someone else."

"That holster behind your back... Is the gun yours?" Kahi asks.

"Yes."

"Will you answer my previous questions about your eyes and your whereabouts these past two weeks?" 

Jooyeon's eyes glare piercingly at the leader. "There's no reason for me to tell you anything regarding those matters."

Kahi blinks, taken aback at Jooyeon's harsh tone. To the leader's surprise, Nana steps forward and looks into Jooyeon's eyes, hoping that her own gaze will soften the older girl's eyes. Jooyeon's eyes continue to glare even at Nana. "Jooyeon unnie... Even after all we've told you, how worried we are about you, you still refuse to tell us anything? Why are you being so selfish?" Nana says, feeling hurt.

"I have my reasons and they don't concern you. Didn't you say that you know that already Nana?" Jooyeon counters, pushing herself to make sure her personal feelings don't get in the way. Nana says nothing and stares down at Jooyeon's bed sheets. The rest of the members remain silent, unsure of what to say and afraid of looking into Jooyeon's intimidating eyes.

"Noona, I believe your situation does concern them."

Kahi, Jungah, Uee, Bekah, Raina, Nana, Lizzy, and E-Young turn to the door of Jooyeon and Jungah's room to find a tall man in black with red eyes. Gasping, they all immediately surround Jooyeon as they remember what happened last time Jooyeon was in the dorm.

"You...!" Kahi grits her teeth as she glares at the man. "You people stay away from our Jooyeon!" Jooyeon stands up from the bed and places a hand on Kahi's shoulder. "J-Jooyeon?"

"Kahi unnie, it's alright. He's an old friend of mine as well as the one who saved me when I was attacked in the dorm," Jooyeon explains. Everyone notices how Jooyeon suddenly calms down when the man appeared. Turning to him, Jooyeon says, "Joonwook, how did you find me?"

"After you hung up on me earlier, I called Catch and told him to monitor all the cameras in Sector 3 around After School's dorm. In one of the cameras he saw the members carrying you inside their dorm. As soon as my hunt was over I head over here immediately... In case of any danger."

"Danger?" Uee asks.

"Joonwook, watch your tongue," Jooyeon says.

"By the way, how did you get in here anyway? Since the attack at our dorm, the keycode to get through our door is completely different from then," Raina asks warily, despite the fact he is a friend of Jooyeon.

"We have hackers on our side. Let's leave it at that," Joonwook replies a little smug. "But back to you, Jooyeon noona. I don't think you should hide the truth from your members anymore. They're your second family, aren't they? They certainly have the right to know what's going on."

"But-" Joonwook silences her by raising a hand.

"I'll be blunt with you, Noona. If you continue to let them be ignorant as is, at this point in time, it's only going to endanger their lives." He points to each of the members, their eyes widening in shock and confusion as they go back and forth between Joonwook and Jooyeon. Looking concerned, he says, "Noona... We both know that Eunli was out there around the area and we most likely have a grasp on her intentions. Catch saw her leave from Sector 3 to Sector 9 so we're safe for the moment.... But what about After School? Don't they have a right to know why their lives are in danger? You want to protect them right?"

Jooyeon says nothing but slowly nods.

"Then stop letting them live through this in ignorance. Let them know everything about you... Don't hide anything from them... Let them inside your heart and let them know who you really are," Joonwook says gently.

Everyone stays quiet, some holding in their breath, as they wait for Jooyeon's reply.

Then...

"Okay. I'll tell you all of you everything. Everything that's happened in my life... and most of it is not a happy story."