Chapter 1

The Hunter Or The Hunted?

(A Normal Day)

Kahi and Jungah are preparing a late breakfast in the morning, chatting away as they cook the meals for themselves and the other members. Bekah is putting plates and silverware on the table for everyone while singing an English song to herself. Not far from the kitchen, E-Young is playing an acoustic version of BangkokCityand Raina, Lizzy, and Nana are singing along. The remaining members, Jooyeon and Uee, are still fast asleep in their rooms.

"Aish. Can someone wake up Jooyeon? She's been asleep long enough," Kahi asks aloud while frying an egg.

"I'll go get her," Nana volunteers, raising a hand in the air. Kahi nods and Nana walks into the hallway.

"What about Uee unnie?" Raina asks.

"Uee came home late last night from her filming so we'll get her when breakfast is ready," Kahi explains. "Let her sleep."

In the hallway, Nana skips knocking on the door and bursts into Jooyeon's room. "Unnie! It's time to wake up!!" Nana yells. She receives no response and walks over to the bed. Jooyeon is completely buried underneath the sheets except for an arm dangling off the side of the bed. Nana raises an eyebrow and swiftly pulls the blankets away. She discovers Jooyeon lying on her stomach, drool seeping through the corner of . Nana couldn't help but chuckle at the sight.

If she wasn't drooling, she would look like a dead person, Nana thinks with an amused expression on her face. She lightly pokes Jooyeon's side causing the older girl's body to jerk in response. Giggling, Nana continues poking her until Jooyeon wakes up with a groan. A lazy eye opens and stares at Nana. "Jooyeon unnie, it's time to get up," Nana says gently. When the eye closes, Nana starts shaking Jooyeon. "Yah! Unnie!"

"A-Alright I'm getting up..." Jooyeon mumbles as she pushes herself upright. She yawns and rubs the sleep out of her eyes.

"Come on let's go eat breakfast now! I'm hungry!" Nana says, pulling Jooyeon's arm.

"Wait one second."Jooyeon smooths down her hair and fixes her bangs. She grabs her ring from the desk next to her and follows Nana.

"You always love wearing that ring, don't you Unnie?" the blonde comments with a grin.

Jooyeon looks at the ring with eyes clouded with emotion, her lips curving into a small smile.

"It's important to me," Jooyeon sighs wistfully. Nana notices the sudden change in Jooyeon's demeanor, but Jooyeon snaps out of her trance before Nana has the chance to ask what's wrong. Jooyeon puts on the ring on her left middle finger before grabbing Nana's hand and smiles brightly. "Anyway, it's time to eat!"

As Jooyeon is dragging Nana to the kitchen table, Nana couldn't help wondering what the ring means to Jooyeon.

---------------------

"Thank you for the breakfast Kahi unnie and Jungah unnie!" the members say to the "parents" happily.

"Ah you're welcome children," Kahi says arrogantly in a joking manner, tossing her brunette locks back.

"Yah Unnie! You didn't do everything," Jungah says while lightly shoving Kahi.

"I know, I know~" Kahi laughs, giving the pouting Jungah a hug.

"Since today is our day off, what should we do?" Uee asks everyone.

"The managers are going to take us out for dinner tonight so we just got to figure out what to do till then," Raina says.

"Let's go on a picnic!" Bekah suggests excitedly.

"Picnic?" Nana repeats.

"We just ate Bekah and we're going to eat out later," Jooyeon says.

"Then what are we going to do till then?" Lizzy asks again, tapping her chin thoughtfully.

"How about we do karaoke here?" E-Young suggests. Everyone's expressions brighten at the suggestion.

"Great idea!" Jungah smiles giving the new maknae a warm hug.

"It's going to be crazy in here," Jooyeon laughs.

"Okay kids! It's time to bring out the tambourines and maracas!" Kahi announces causing everyone to yell in excitement.

------------------

"Oridago noriji marayo sujuboso maldo mothago! Oridago noriji marayo seuchyoganeun yaegi booningol!"

"Ireonjeoreon maldeul da ijeobeoryeo (huh huh huh huh)! Da gateun kkum jiweoberyeo (huh huh huh huh)!"

"Bwara Mr. Simple, Simple gedaeneun gedaeneun gedaero matjyo! Bwara Miss Simple, Simple gedaeneun gedaeneun gedaero yeppo (S J Call!)
"

Two hours quickly fly by as the girls sang their hearts out in the living room. Each song they sang was sang loudly with enthusiasm. There was always someone shaking the maracas as if they were rattles and someone banging and shaking the tambourines against their hips. If someone knew the dance to the song, they would dance along and go out of control.

Jooyeon is watching Lizzy and E-Young singing and dancing to Kara's Step, taking a break from her earlier singing. She laughs at how Lizzy is jumping around everywhere as she sings while E-Young was happily dancing correctly to the song. Kahi, Bekah, Raina, and Nana are dancing crazy behind the two singers, calling their names in fanchants when appropriate.

"Step it up step it updasi sijag-iya, tto tempoleul ollyeoseo apjilleo gallae! Just step it up step it up da bolandeus-i keuge bollyong nop-yeo baby my baby!" Lizzy and E-Young sing together, arms around each others shoulders.

"Tambourine?" Jungah comes up from behind Jooyeon, shaking the circular instrument in front of her with a smile.

"Later, I'm exhausted!" Jooyeon tells her with a smile of her own. Jooyeon pats her pockets to realize something was missing. "I'll be back, I just want to get my cell phone!"

Jooyeon leaves the chaos as she heads over to her room. She flicks on the light switch, scanning the room for her phone. "Pretty sure it was on my bed last time I checked..." Jooyeon mutters aloud. Pulling on her bed sheets, she finds her phone underneath. Just as she is about to grab it, the phone vibrates. She picks up the phone and looks at the number on her phone screen.

(The Phone Call)

Jooyeon's eyes widen dread as she realizes whose number it was. The phone continues vibrate and with each passing vibration, Jooyeon's breath and heartbeat quicken and her stomach churns uncomfortably. "Why...? Why...? Why are you calling me after all this time?" Jooyeon whispers, voice shaking. Her free hand balls into a tight fist and she grits her teeth. "Damn it... why?"

The phone stops vibrating and the caller immediately hangs up without leaving a message. Jooyeon sighs but her breath hitches in again when the same number calls her again. Jooyeon closes her eyes; she knows she has to answer, no matter how much she doesn't want to. Slowly, she answers the call.

"Why are you calling me?" Jooyeon says, voice monotone.

"Is this how you greet an old comrad? I thought you were better than that," the male voice replies back lightly.

"I'm not coming back," she tells him coldly. "That part of my life is over."

"You really think I would contact you simply because I want you back in the organization?"

"Then why?" Jooyeon demands, feeling annoyed.

"You're in danger now, Lee Jooyeon," the male voice says ominously, the light tone in his voice gone.

"What are you talking about? Explain right now!"

"The man who killed your parents is on the move. He's after you now."

Jooyeon starts to tremble. "Why? Why now of all times? Why does he want me in the first place?"

"I'll tell you when you come back. You won't have any other choice but to come back unless you want to endanger the lives of your members," the voice says, sympathy in his voice. When Jooyeon doesn't respond, the voice continues. "Be careful, Jooyeon. Especially since you're an idol now, it's going to be easy for them to find you and get you alone."

Jooyeon says nothing and hangs up.

---------------------

Nana cheers as Kahi and Bekah were singing 2pm's Without You, dancing between Raina and Uee. Jungah and E-Young are shaking maracas and singing along, while Lizzy is lying on the floor exhausted from dancing too much. Out of the corner of her eye, Nana spots Jooyeon coming out of the hallway, She quickly makes her way over to her and smiles. "Unnie, where were you? It's..." Jooyeon walks by her, head towards the door. "your turn next?"

Jooyeon leaves the dorm, slamming the door behind her.

Everyone stops what they were doing and looks in the door's direction. "What happened?" Kahi asks.

Jungah steps next to Nana. "Did something happen to her?" she asks the younger girl.

"I don't know... I'll go ask." Nana opens the door and finds Jooyeon a few feet away, looking over the railing with a troubled expression. Nana approaches her. "Are you alright?"

(A Promise)

Jooyeon turns and fakes a smiles at Nana. "I will be... I just have a lot on my mind."

"You don't want to talk about it?" Nana gently asks the older girl. "You were there for me when I was sad, so I want to be there for you."

"This is something I have to face on my own," Jooyeon tells her. Nana nods understandingly. "But you can do me a favor."

"What is it?"

Jooyeon takes off her ring. She takes Nana's left hand and puts the ring on her middle finger. To both of their surprise, it fits Nana's finger perfectly. The older girl smiles at the blonde. "Wear my ring for awhile and take care of it okay?"

Nana admires how beautiful the ring is for a moment. "Are you sure?" Jooyeon answers her with a nod. "If it will make you feel a little bit better then I'll take care of your ring for you."

Jooyeon's arms find their way around Nana, enveloping her in a hug and resting her head on the younger girl's shoulder. Nana hugs Jooyeon back. She feels Jooyeon trembling slightly, making her hug her even tighter. "Thank you, Nana," Jooyeon whispers.

"Let's go back inside. You made the others worry," Nana takes Jooyeon by the hand and leads her back to the others.

--------------------

"Jooyeon, are you sure you won't want to come with us?" one of her managers asks her.

"Yes oppa. I want to spend some time by myself," Jooyeon smiles sadly. The manager looks at her concerned, but doesn't press the issue.

"Alright, if that's what you want you can stay here. Come on girls, the other managers are waiting by the van!"

The rest of After School glance sadly at Jooyeon as they leave the dorm. Jungah steps forward. "Jooyeon-ah..."

"I'll be okay," Jooyeon assures her. Jungah smiles relunctantly and follows eveyone outside.

Nana was the last one to leave. She looks deeply into Jooyeon's eyes. "Something must be bothering you really badly if you're not willing to go out to a buffet with us," Nana tries joking around, but behind the laugh she is really worried about Jooyeon.

Jooyeon chuckles at that. "I can live without a buffet. Go and have fun, Nana."

Nana gives Jooyeon a quick hug and runs after her members.

But something inside Nana was making her heart tighten. Jooyeon was hiding something from them and she doesn't want them finding out.



Immediately following Nana's leave, Jooyeon's phone rings. The same number from earlier pops up. She answers. "What now?" she asks harshly.

"Our sources say they're on the move. Are you alone right now?" he asks.

"Yes."

"What why?"

Jooyeon's eyes darken.

"Let them come," she growls.

----------------------

About an hour later, the managers and After School, minus Jooyeon, finish their meal. They are chatting lively among themselves. Unlike the rest of the members, Nana and Jungah are discussing about Jooyeon's strange behavior. They recall that Jooyeon was perfectly fine this morning and she was her usual, lazy self.

"Jooyeon went to get her phone in our room in the middle of karaoke and she was gone for awhile," Jungah says, almost finish backtracking the events involving Jooyeon.

"When she came back from her room... that's when she started acting strange," Nana finishes. Nana notices Jungah's brow crinkle in thought. "What's on your mind, Jungah unnie?

"Honestly, the last time I saw Jooyeon like this is when After School was first formed. She always had this serious and cautious expression and Kahi unnie, Bekah, Soyoung and I never found out why she was like that... Of course as time passed, she became the person she is today," Jungah says thoughtfully.

Nana looks down at her hand, examining the ring. She turns to Jungah. "You know that ring Jooyeon unnie always wears? When I went after her earlier, she gave it to me," Nana tells Jungah, lifting her hand so Jungah could see the ring.

A manager's cell phone rings. "Hello?" he asks.

Jungah's eyes widen as she stares at the ring. "That ring...."

"What about this ring?" Nana tilts her head in confusion.

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!" the manager stands up from his seat, startling the other managers and the girls.

"Oppa what what's wrong?" Kahi asks.

"Everyone get in the vans now!" he orders. "Something happened your dorm... The neighbors reported to have heard gunshots!"

(Trouble at the Dorm)

Everyone gasps. The members of After School's faces ashen upon hearing that.

"J-Jooyeon unnie still at the dorms!" Lizzy panics.

"I'm aware of that but now is not the time to talk. The police are on their way there but we have to go back now!" the manager says.

--------------------

Nana dials Jooyeon's number again for the 5th time and receives the sound of the line being busy. She squeezes her hand around her phone, feeling helpless. They are almost back at the dorms, just another five minute drive. The girls are worried sick and the fact Jooyeon wasn't answering her phone did not ease their anxiety.

Jooyeon unnie, please be okay... Nana silently prays.

As soon as the vans parked, the two male managers rush out, After School following closely behind. After climbing two flights of stairs, everyone dashes to their dorm. The managers stop in their tracks. Kahi demands why they stopped but once she looks up she gasps. Nana catches a glimpse of the scene and her eyes widen in horror.

The door to their dorm was beaten down from the outside, gun marks evident on the door. The color from Nana's face fades. Nana pushes through Kahi and the managers. "JOOYEON!" she screams and runs inside.

"NO! Nana come back here! Someone could still be inside!" one of the managers yell.

"JINAH!" Kahi yells and runs after her.

"No one else goes inside, you hear us?!" the other manager says to the remaining members.

Kahi catches up to Nana who was standing in the living room. Everything was destroyed. The television was broken. The curtains were torn and ripped. In the kitchen, there were broken glasses and plates everywhere. They carefully made their way to the hallways where their rooms were. They checked their rooms and surprisingly everything was fine. But the door to Jooyeon and Jungah's room was also beaten down.

"Nana get behind me," Kahi warns, holding onto Nana's hand.

"Let's go," Nana gulps.

(Disappearance)

They carefully step inside the room and a strong smell of blood filled the air.. Kahi and Nana look around the room in horror. Like the main rooms, everything was damaged. Windows were broken and gunshot holes were found around the walls near Jooyeon's bed.

But what Kahi and Nana notice about the bed itself made Nana want to cry. Her legs weaken and she falls to her kneeds.

"J-Jooyeon unnie..." Nana whispers, tears streaming down her eyes. Kahi covers , unable to say anything.

Blood was everywhere on Jooyeon's bed and blood was dripping from the bed sheets and onto the floor. And yet....

There was no sign of Lee Jooyeon herself anywhere. When the rest of the managers and After School discover the horrifying scene, they all prepare for the worst possible outcome.