004

Home Is Always You

This must've been the longest ten seconds of Jennie's life as she stood there, staring back at Roseanne's eyes. She didn't respond to her greeting. She doesn't know how to. Should she act mad? Nonchalant? Should she pretend that nothing ever happened?

 

Does Roseanne even deserve a response?

 

Jennie can hear her own heavy breathing as they hold their gaze. She thought she's over this. For the past months, she's been seeing the girl's face on billboards, TV, internet, even on clothing stores. But it never bothered her. She thought it no longer bothers her.

 

So why is her heart beating rapidly against her chest now?

 

Striking pink hair, dead brown eyes, pale thin skin. Seeing the girl in the flesh triggers something she has long buried inside her. It doesn't feel good. All those memories she tried so hard to push in the back of her mind were all coming back to life.

 

Jennie's furious. Seeing Roseanne before her very eyes felt like she's back to square one.

 

"Jen..."

 

Ten seconds of staring contest was put to an end when Jisoo finally spoke.

 

"I'm sorry, we didn't have the chance to tell you", the oldest stepped in and whispered over her shoulder, "Rosie's gonna sing for the wedding."

 

The brunette turns to her bestfriend and shot her a look, "I didn't know you're back to being friends."

 

"No...I mean..."

 

Jisoo's answer was automatic, and she takes a glance at Roseanne to see pain flash the girl's face.

 

"My secretary booked her as our wedding singer. We could no longer cancel the contract", she lied.

 

Jennie knows it's bull. There is nothing Jisoo couldn't do. It's obvious that they invited the singer.

 

"Well, knowing how much of a perfectionist you are, it's understandable that you only settle for best", she replied, failing to notice the bitterness in her tone, "The best artist in the globe, right?"

 

Roseanne looks down for a brief second, tucking her hands inside her pockets, before looking back up at the brunette, "In Jisoo's defense, she didn't book me. I insisted on inviting myself."

 

She turns to her former friend and gave her a small smile.

 

"Thanks, Chu", the singer continued, "And Lis, congrats to the both of you."

 

The engaged couple couldn't react, let alone return the smile that Roseanne was giving them. The tension was so thick in the air.

 

“You look...great, Jen”, she once again averted her gaze on the brunette, eyes b with guilt...longingness, “I mean, you always do.”

 

But the girl still refused to respond to her. Jennie was honestly amazed by how her ex-fiancé can still have the guts to stand here and look her straight in the eye. It should be a talent, because that’s definitely not normal.

 

When the pink-haired singer failed to get a response from the three girls, she shifted her attention to the unfamiliar woman standing behind Jennie.

 

"You guys made a new friend?", she asked them, before turning her eyes back at the woman, "Hi, I'm—"

 

"Rosé", Sohee finished her sentence before taking a step forward to greet the girl, "I've heard some of your songs. You're pretty popular in London, too."

 

She gave the singer a smile, which the latter reciprocated, "Ah, so you're from London. I'm definitely hearing the accent. Miss...?"

 

"Sohee."

 

The engaged couple could only watch at the interaction. Never in their wildest dreams had they imagined that this moment will be this terribly nerve-racking.

 

Roseanne dips her head in a polite bow as she continued the conversation, "Sohee. It's nice meeting you. So, I take you're friends with Lisa and Jisoo?"

 

Sohee cracks another smile before giving Jennie's shoulder a gentle pat, "I'm actually Jennie's girlfriend."

 

They all saw how light left Roseanne's already lifeless eyes at Sohee's statement. Her face fell and she mindlessly took a step back from them.

 

"Oh", the pink-haired bobs her head in a slow nod, "That's...nice."

 

Silence hung in the air after that. It was so awkward Lisa swears it's gonna kill her. Of course, she wanted all of them to talk. That's what Roseanne's here for, afterall. But, maybe not at this moment. Not when Jennie's evidently raging.

 

"Uhm", the youngest fakes a cough, trying to break the tension, "How about you three go ahead inside, yeah? I'll just...talk to Rosie."

 

She gave her fiancé a knowing look, which the latter immediately understood.

 

"Alright. Jen, Sohee, let me just show you to your room", Jisoo said while guiding the couple back inside the villa.

 

Jennie spared her ex-fiancé once last quick glance, before the three of them disappeared to the front door.

 

Lisa turned to Roseanne once they were left alone, sighing, "So, it's been a while, huh."

 

She scans the girl and notices a lot of changes. Her skin is much more pale than before. She's also gotten a lot thinner. Those eyes that used to exude brightness and positivity are now dead and blank.

 

Albeit still being the ever beautiful Roseanne Park, Lisa could no longer see the sunshine she once adored.

 

Time changes people, indeed.

 

The singer forces a smile and lands a weak, playful jab on the younger girl's arm, "Missed you, Lis."

 

"Look, Rosie..."

 

"Why so serious?"

 

"Because this is not something we can just joke about, Rosie", Lisa retorted in a stern tone.

 

They fell silent and held each other's gazes, before Roseanne eventually looked away and turned to kick on the sand.

 

"I don't know the real reason why you're back", the younger spoke again after a little while, "But Jisoo and I agreed to invite you...because we want to hear you out."

 

Despite everything, Roseanne was their friend. Old Blackpink wouldn't have cared about someone who's not the three of them. But they met her along the way. The girl has tamed them, and has played a significant part in their lives since then.

 

"I'm sorry, Lis", Roseanne muttered an apology, head hung low, "I really am."

 

"If you really are, then you'll give us answers. That's all we ask of you."

 

"I will, just..."

 

"We don't need endless apologies, Rosie. We're over that", Lisa said again, "I think we at least deserve to know the truth. Especially Jennie."

 

The older girl lets out a breath and nodded, "She's the reason I'm back."

 

Lisa purses her lips, suddenly nervous at the girl's words, "What are you planning?"

 

"To do the thing I should've done years ago."

 

"Rosie..."

 

"To win her back."

 

The younger girl massages her temple. They're not even starting and this is already giving her headache.

 

"I believe Sohee introduced herself pretty well to you earlier", she told her.

 

"I'll take my chance."

 

"You're gonna make the situation worse."

 

Roseanne looks up at her, and she saw a tiny glint of hope behind her somber eyes.

 

"Just...let me try."

 

~•~

 

Jisoo led Jennie and Sohee to their room so they can change and freshen up before the dinner. Ah right, dinner. Dinner which she's afraid would be chaotic once their cousins see Roseanne.

 

They all knew about their break-up. Although vaguely, they knew about what happened on their supposed wedding two years ago. Jisoo's just thankful that their cousins aren't intrusive, and that they surely know how to mind their own business. 

 

But she bet Roseanne's presence will still attract attention nevertheless.

 

"Chu", Jennie gently pulls her bestfriend with her outside the room once Sohee entered the changing room, "Care to explain?"

 

Jisoo bit on her lip, "I'm sorry, we were supposed to tell you earlier. But you were on your phone."

 

"You know damn well what that woman did to me", the brunette was trying so hard not to raise her voice, "Why did you invite her?"

 

"My secretary booked her—"

 

"Don't give me that, Chu. If she's here for work, then why did she come here alone, huh? Where's her team?"

 

The older girl breathes out and held her bestfriend's shoulder to calm her down, "My secretary really booked her. She didn't know our history. I went to The Black Label to cancel the contract. But Rosie called me and..."

 

"And you gave in?"

 

"Lisa and I talked, Jen. We agreed to give Rosie a chance to explain herself."

 

"Ever thought about what I would feel if I see her again?"

 

"You've moved on, right?", Jisoo asked her, emphasizing the last word.

 

"Moving on doesn't mean I would want to welcome her in my life again."

 

"You don't have to. We just want answers, Jen. If you've really moved on, then don't you want answers, too? Don't you want a proper closure?"

 

Jennie didn't answer. Does she want that? Why would she want that? She didn't even want to remember any of that.

 

"I'm sorry if we didn't tell you sooner", Jisoo spoke again, more softly this time, "I swear everything was too sudden. We didn't plan to invite her either. But she was our friend..."

 

The brunette looks down and shuts her eyes, pressing her fingers against her temple.

 

When she didn't reply, the older girl speaks again, "We just thought this could help us all move on. We've been wanting answers, right? Let's hear her out. When we finally get that closure, we can all go about our lives."

 

"I-I'm not sure if I want to hear what she has to say", Jennie admitted, her voice faltering.

 

Jisoo gave her head comforting pats, "It's okay to be scared. It's a valid feeling. But we should also know when to stop running away and when to face the things that we fear."

 

Is it really about time?

 

"I won't force you to talk to her, Jen. But you're free to think about it", the older girl continued, "If you ever decide that you don't really want to hear her out, we'll respect that. We'll send her home."

 

Jennie shakes her head, "No. Whatever my decision is, you don't have to send her home. You're right, she was also your friend."

 

Jisoo gave her an apologetic look.

 

"Despite all your banterings, you still have a soft spot for her", the brunette added, "She's your guest. Let her."

 

Rubbing comforting circles on her bestfriend's back, Jisoo muttered a small 'thank you'.

 

"Go get changed. I'll meet you for dinner."

 

~•~

 

The grand dining room was already filled with random laughters and talks when Jisoo, Jennie and Sohee arrived. Lisa's cousins, Bambam, Minnie, and Ten, were seated on one side, while Jisoo's cousins, Hanbin, Mino, Nayeon, and Bona, were seated on the other side. Everyone’s just waiting for the dinner to be served.

 

The three girls greeted them as they sat down their respective seats.

 

"Jennie-ah", Mino started with a teasing smirk, "I can't believe you didn't grow taller since high school."

 

Rolling her eyes, Jennie shot back, "Joke's on you, Mino, you look like you haven't even hit puberty yet."

 

Laughters once again filled the hall at the cheeky response.

 

"Bitter is the taste of your own medicine, eh, Mino?", Nayeon said teasingly.

 

"Still as sassy as ever, Lady Jennie Kim", Bambam commented at the side.

 

"She spent almost her whole life with Jisoo, that's why. The savageness has rub off on her", Bona added, chuckling.

 

"Why am I being slandered in my own party? I'm the most harmless here, please", Jisoo retorted, earning another round of laughter from her crowd.

 

"You guys, what are you 12?", Ten meddled, "Why aren't we talking 'bout business?"

 

A series of 'boos' followed after his remark.

 

Minnie playfully flicked him on his forehead, "Who talks about business in a bachelorette party, TenTen??"

 

"I told you to stop calling me TenTen, it's embarassing."

 

The lively conversation went on, and Jennie and Sohee just listened while shaking their heads at each other. The latter was amused by their overflowing energy.

 

"They're really like that when they're all together", the brunette whispered in her girlfriend's ear, "Please bear with them."

 

Sohee waved a hand and smiled, "No, they're actually cute. If you guys grew up together, I now know where all of your cuteness came from."

 

Jennie couldn't help but crack a smile at that. She couldn't believe she got herself a real charmer.

 

"Now now, our new couple here is in their own world, huh", Bambam teases, referring to them.

 

The brunette facepalmed herself when the attention was shifted to them. She never really liked being teased.

 

"How's our Jennie so far, Sohee-ah?", Nayeon asked with a smile.

 

"As a CEO or as a girlfriend?", Bona clarifies the question.

 

Sohee flashes them a grin and answered, "Doesn't matter. May it be as a CEO or as a girlfriend, she's always a cutie pie."

 

Everyone cooed, and Sohee's proud of herself for making The Jennie Kim blush.

 

Minutes later, the dinner was finally served. Talks slowly died down and they were about to dig in, when Hanbin spoke for the very first time.

 

"By the way, where's Lisa?"

 

Jisoo and Jennie shared a look. 

 

“She’s, um—”

 

Jisoo was fortunately saved from the explanation she wasn’t prepared to give, when the door to the dining hall opened. Great, just in time.

 

All heads turned to the door, mouth agape when they saw Lisa with someone they knew so well.

 

“Hey, guys”, Lisa greeted with an awkward smile, “So...Rosie will be joining us...for this party.”

 

She reaches out a hand and gestures for Roseanne to step forward. The singer has already changed into some casual dress. 

 

No one dared to speak for a moment. Everyone’s eyes were subtly darting from Roseanne to Jennie, and vice versa. They’re probably just as flabbergasted to see someone they’re not at all expecting to see. 

 

Who would’ve thought they’d ever get to see the exes together in the same space again?

 

A slightly loud fake cough from Hanbin broke the tension, “Rosie...it’s been a while.”

 

The pink-haired spared him a quick smile, before she dips her head into a bow, “It’s nice to see you guys again.”

 

Lisa, then, meekly pulls her towards the table and they settled on the empty seats beside Jisoo, just across Jennie’s and Sohee’s seats.

 

They started the dinner with utter silence. No other sounds are heard besides the clanking of utensils against plates. The once bustling room fell into yet another excruciating awkwardness. 

 

But Jisoo knew their cousins well. She knew they aren’t silently judging Roseanne. The girl has been too good to them, there’s no way they’ll treat her bad under any circumstances. Maybe they’re just also trying to weigh the situation. If they engage with Roseanne too much, Jennie might think that they’re taking her side. So, neutrality is their new best policy.

 

Ten minutes into the dinner, and Jennie’s starting to lose her appetite. She notices how her ex would steal glances at her direction whenever the latter thinks she’s not looking. And it irritates her to no end.

 

‘Just, what does this woman want?’, she thought. Breathing the same air as her already suffocates Jennie. Why must she make her even more uncomfortable than she already was?

 

Roseanne’s presence was so getting on her nerves, that she didn’t notice she’s been mindlessly poking a piece of broccoli with her fork. Good thing, Sohee was always attentive. She must’ve sensed her girlfriend’s anxiousness, so she puts down her own utensils and rubs comforting circles on the girl’s lower back.

 

“It’s gonna be okay”, she whispered over Jennie’s shoulder with a smile, “Don’t stress over it too much, hm?”

 

The brunette softens at the gesture and nodded, before mumbling a hushed ‘thank you’. She appreciates her girlfriend. She appreciates everything the girl does for her.

 

“Want me to sing your favorite calming song?”, Sohee asked, still whispering.

 

Jennie almost laughed out loud if she hadn’t stopped herself, “Babe, please. You can’t sing that here.”

 

But Sohee’s already showing off a toothy grin, and Jennie knows nothing’s stopping her girlfriend.

 

Leaning even closer to her, sohee bubbles in a quiet chuckle before playfully singing, “Rock-a-bye Jennie...on the tree top~”

 

And from across the table, Roseanne watches the interaction. Never blinking an eye, she realizes how truly painful it is to watch the person she loves, loving someone else.

 

~•~

 

 

i love sohee 🥺 can she date me instead