011

Home Is Always You

"Bona, have we packed everything already?", Nayeon asked her cousin who was half pulling half dragging three luggages in hands.

"Yeah, I think so", the younger answered, "If I ever left an underwear somewhere under the bed, then that'll be just my gift to Jisoo."

"You're so gross, I can't believe you're my cousin", Jisoo yelled from a distance when she overheard the conversation.

Everyone gathered at the villa's front yard that Saturday morning, bidding goodbyes to each other while waiting for their chauffeurs to pick them up. It has been quite a week for all of them. Some were still hungover from the fun, while some were...just hungover.

"Jennie left early, eh?", Bambam commented after looking around and not spotting the brunette.

"Yups, said she's still gonna check on their Seoul headquarters", it was Minnie who answered, "She might already be in Seoul by now."

"But, it's Saturday??"

"Workaholics don't know weekends."

"Oh, well", Bona joined in, "But, she's gonna stay in Korea until after the wedding, right, Chu?"

The mentioned bride-to-be, who was comfortably leaning on her fiancé's shoulder while they're side-hugging, looks up to reply, "I think so. I remember her telling us how she needs to do some errands for her dad. Maybe that's also why she's checking up on the Seoul HQ."

"I see."

Giving each other knowing looks, the engaged couple, then, gestured at their other friend who was spacing out the whole time, looking so sleep deprived.

Roseanne couldn't remember how few hours she's slept last night, or if she ever slept at all. She could only recall Jennie's retreating figure after she's poured all her heart out. The brunette didn't even spare her a final word. She just...left her there. And now, the girl flew to Seoul way earlier than all of them without a single goodbye. It's not as if she's expecting anything anyway. Everything hurt. But if that was Jennie's answer to her confession, then she'll respect it like an adult.

There's one more thing in her mind, though.

Deliberately approaching Jisoo while she fiddles with her car keys in hand, she asks the girl if they could talk. She knows she still owes them an explanation. She promised that. But, she's not sure if she's got enough time to do so when they're already about to part. She's just realizing now how much time and chances she's wasted this past week, when she could've just told them straight up.

Their feet had led them to the back yard where the others couldn't hear them, and Roseanne tries to gather her words.

"Chu", she started, "I honestly don't know what to say but...I just want to thank you."

Jisoo bobs her head in a nod, her face was stoic as usual.

"You know, for giving me a chance", the singer added, "Inviting me here means a lot to me. Especially knowing how hard it was for you and Lisa.  So, thank you, really."

"No need to thank us", the older girl answered, "We all know it needed to be done."

"Yeah, about that actually. I know I still owe you something. And I'm sorry if I’ve ran out of time to clear it up to you and Lisa, I swear I—"

"We already know."

Pushing back all the words she's prepared to say, Roseanne was evidently taken aback by the statement.

"When you and Jennie left the room last night, Lisa and I got worried something bad might happen", Jisoo continued before heaving out a sigh, "So, we followed you."

"And...you heard everything?"

The older nodded, "Every single thing."

Roseanne was honestly relieved knowing that. At least the burden of hiding things from her friends was now off of her chest. If they're not going to accept her reason, is up to them. They could judge her and loathe her even more, and she could live with that. Because that's what she deserves anyway.

To letting go and moving forward, she would no longer force herself back to their lives.

"I apologize...again", the singer bit on her lip, "I understand if you'd back out on me being the wedding singer. But let me at least recommend a friend in the industry to replace me. I know how picky you are, you wouldn't settle for less. So, don't worry, that friend's one of the best in the country."

She was trying so hard to hold back her tears that it came out as a tremor in her voice. And that didn't go unnoticed by the older girl.

"I'm really sorry for everything, Chu", Roseanne lifted her head to meet her friend's eyes, "I wish you guys all the best."

She plasters a strained smile before slowly turning around, ready to go. She was not even on her first step, though, when Jisoo spoke.

"I don't know what or where we'd go after this", the girl uttered, "But, there are two things I'd like to ask of you, Rosie."

Not turning her head back, the singer waited for what her friend was about to say.

"First, please fix yourself and get back to your life. The bags under your eyes aren’t Gucci, for crying out loud."

Roseanne almost bursted out laughing at the sarcastic remark. The savageness hasn't worn out a bit.

"And lastly...it better be you that will sing in our wedding."

The tears that she was suppressing are now free falling down her face. Stooping her head low, she could only cry silently while listening to the girl.

"You're the only one who knows our favorite songs, so."

Nodding her head, Roseanne subtly wipes her face while still refusing to look back. She knows she doesn't have to. And she knows Jisoo wouldn't want her to, either. Saying all that is the older girl's way of telling her that she is understood. And honestly, that's enough for her.

She starts moving her feet and jogs away towards her car with a hopeful, tiny smile on her lips.

Just like that, she starts to believe that maybe not everything is a lost cause, after all.

 

~•~

 

After almost two hours of sitting in a business class seat, all covered up while trying to avoid any interaction with other people, Roseanne was finally back in Seoul.

Going stealthy inside the plane was merely a piece of cake. Her real problem is walking down the airport. She couldn't afford to be recognized and attract attention when she's all alone like this without a single bodyguard around. Being swarmed by people and hitting the headlines are the last things she needed right now. She could already visualize her manager's fury while weaving a statement on why she was in Jeju after nonchalantly ditching all of her schedules.

Pulling a luggage in hand, she makes sure she's fully disguised while blending in with the crowd. Hoodie over her head, a black face mask, and a pair of black sunglasses. Perfect incognito. Sure, some were sparing her a glance. But that's just probably because she looks like another weirdo who has a terrible taste in fashion.

Well, either that, or she really looks suspicious.

Roseanne hastened her steps to avoid further attention and dialed a number on her phone.

"Hey, I just landed. Are you at the airport yet?", she asks the person on the other line.

"Yep, been waiting for you since forever. What took you so long? Was there an air traffic or something?"

"What do you mean 'what took me so long'? I'm literally just on time. You're just implausibly early", she argued.

"I prefer being called 'punctual'. Thank you very much."

Shaking her head, the singer ended the call and proceeded to the arrival gate where her friend was parked. She had a last minute realization that her car will be transported a little later due to some necessary validations for the transit insurance, and she couldn't just call Teddy or her manager after practically bailing on them. The first thing that came into her mind when it dawned on her that she needs a ride, was calling this person who's been a very good friend during the past year.

"Woah, are you the undercover god?"

Roseanne playfully elbows her friend once she's settled in the passenger seat and started removing her disguise.

"I swear, I didn't recognize you, R", the woman in the driver's seat commented again in obvious sarcasm.

"One more word and I'll kick you out of your own car, Suzy", Roseanne threatened while buckling her seatbelt, "Have fun with the paparazzis and media people, I guess?"

"Seriously, you're gonna do that to me after I willingly, wholeheartedly agreed to be your driver for the day??"

Suzy Bae, an actress and model who starred in many hit series and movies, bagged endorsements from international brands, and is basically a superstar. Roseanne and her met when they worked together for one of the singer's music videos. It was actually magic that they clicked together and became friends, when all Suzy does is pester her and ask for free signed albums and pester her again.

"I'll pay your talent fee."

The actress fakes a gasp, "And you're even thinking of paying my kindness with money?? What do you take me for, Roseanne Park??"

Roseanne glared at the girl, before reaching for the window button in threat of opening it and revealing her to the world.

"Yah, I was joking around!"

Sometimes, it really amazes the singer how Suzy would look all chic and cool infront of the camera, when she's actually just a kid.

"I'm joking around, too", she plasters a lopsided smile, in which the other girl reciprocated by sticking her tongue out at her.

What a baby.

"Anyways, what's up and how's Jeju? Met a lot of fish?", Suzy asks and starts the engine of her car.

Roseanne leans back against the seat dispiritedly and stared out the window once they started moving, "No fish. Just...a lot of frustrations and disappointments."

"So, you've told her?"

The singer bobs her head in a nod with the little energy she has.

"And...how did she accept it?", Suzy asks again, carefully this time.

"I don't know. She just...left."

Occasionally stealing glances at her friend, the actress waits for her to continue.

"But, at least I've already let it all out", Roseanne added, "And I've told her...I'm letting her go."

"Are you really?"

A paused followed after. Suzy figured that her friend was thinking this through. Pondering. Contemplating.

"She's with someone already", was what came out of Roseanne's lips.

"Oh."

Another pause. The pink haired honestly didn't want anymore awkward air, and it's times like this that she's glad Suzy is her friend.

"So, she didn't wait for me? Dang, I told her I'll just finish my promotions", the actress shakes her head and makes a facial expression, "Jennie Kim, my childhood crush, oh man."

Roseanne bubbles in a soft laugh at the joke, trying to appreciate her friend's attempt of alleviating the weight of the situation.

"You haven't even met her, dork", she replied while shaking her head.

"And she shouldn't", Suzy's lips curl in a sly smile, "She might end up leaving her new girlfriend if she sees this face."

Realizing how she's never had a good laugh in a while, the singer bursts out laughing at her friend's cheeky remark. She knows how unserious Suzy is, and she would never admit it to her, but sometimes, that’s just what she needs.

"Thanks."

The actress looks at her in feigned bafflement, "For what?"

"For the hilarious joke."

"But, I was serious??"

"Dream on."

Suzy steals another glance at the passenger seat, a lingering and concerned one this time.

"But, hey, R?"

"Hm?"

"You're gonna make it through, yeah?"

"Of course", Roseanne turns her head to meet her friend’s gaze and smiled, "Life goes on."

"And so do we", the actress replied, mimicking the gesture, "So, where do I take you now?"

"Hometown."

Hometown.

Roseanne internally scoffs at how the word rolled bitterly off her own tongue.

"I see. How about an early dinner before I take you there?"

"Not a chance. Paparazzis are everywhere."

"Well, I wouldn't mind a dating rumor with you", the actress tosses her a teasing wink.

Roseanne could only roll her eyes, "When will you ever get serious?"

"Not a chance."