How long do you really have to describe something?

1wkeylove's Tips to Success

 

How long do you really have to describe something?

This question lingers in my head every time I read Twilight. Don’t be like that.

One thing you have to remember when writing is this: Your reader wants to get to the point. They want to know what is going on. They’re always thinking “What’s going to happen next?”

I respect Twilight, don’t get me wrong. I was totally Team Edward two years ago. But didn’t you notice that half the book was about how flawless Edward was? Or how ripped Jacob was?

It gets really boring, guys. No one wants to read a book or fan fiction that describes a person’s face ALL THE TIME.  So when you write, keep your description balanced. You have to know when to stop.

Of course, you can’t just say something like: His eyes are intense.

No, I’m not saying description is bad. It’s absolutely necessary. It’s when writers go on and on about it.

For example:

I looked into those keep chocolate brown orbs, and knew escape was impossible. Hatred and fear, mixed with love, danced in his cat-like eyes as we continued to stare each other down. I traced the shape of those intense orbs with my stares. I knew he wanted me. As much as he hated to admit it, his eyes told it all. I could see all those mixed feelings waiting to burst, just from the look of his eyes. We were  still staring, for at least another five minutes. I just found it impossible to look away. His eyebrows furrowed. This wasn’t something I could call a blank stare. No matter how many times I tried to turn away from him, he continued to stare, and I was lost in them….

And then people still go on and on and on… Enough, right? I don’t know how some people can write so much about one thing. It took me forever to think all that up. But unless you really, really, REALLY wanted to emphasize a certain moment or object, it’s okay. Just don’t go overboard, and keep it steady. And when I say emphasize, I don’t mean emphasize the whole chapter. Unless your story is 4000+ words per chapter, you shouldn’t have any more but two places to emphasize in each. Sometimes, even two is too many.

I mean, of course there are some exceptions, but the majority of the time, I’m sure a lot of readers prefer the writer to get to the point.

There are times when I’m reading fan fictions, and I just leave because… the author never gets to the point. I hate when people don’t get to the point.

 Again, we readers thirst for information. We want little cliff hangers that will make us even thirstier than we already are. You guys have to remember this. In our next lesson, I will assist you in writing cliffhangers that will make your readers….hate love you.