Your and You're

1wkeylove's Tips to Success

 

To start out, I just want to share one of my major pet peeves.

It is when people say/ write something like “Your pretty and gorgeous.”

Does anyone see the problem here?

*looks as computer screen, waiting for an answer that’s never going to come*

 

Okay. How does your make sense in this sentence? Think about it. “Your pretty and gorgeous.”

Your should be changed to You’re or You are. This is very important, and the grammar police are going to bite your if you don’t get this in your head.

Definitions:

Your: One’s; a form of the possessive case of you; indicates something belonging to you

You’re: You are

 

There are other times when people write “You’re shoes are untied.” This doesn’t make sense either. Why? Break “You’re” down and rewrite the sentence.

“You are shoes are untied.”

Make much sense? I think not.

You probably know how to write it correctly, right? If you can, write it in my comments. This goes to show some of you are listening. I’d really appreciate that.

More examples of you’re and your:

You’re just the strangest person.

Your hair, as always, was gorgeous.

You’re the key to my heart. (See how much I love my dear Kibummie?)

Your smile always makes my day better than it usually is.

So just keep these kinds of things in mind, because if you EVER tell me to read your story and you haven’t fixed your yours and you’res, someone is going to get in trouble. If you guys are interested in hearing anything else I have to say, or want to suggest something to me, go right ahead! No one’s stopping you!