Rainbow

Rainbow

 

 

 

The sky was pink when I realised that I loved him.

Jinki was fourteen, I was twelve, and we were walking home along the creek. The sun was setting, bathing the clouds in a shade of pink, matching his cheeks and his rosy lips.

“Minho-yah...” He said cheekily. “Do you know what the nun said to the truck driver?”

The punchline was something stupid, but he laughed so hard that I couldn't help laughing too. His laughter filled my heart and I loved him. But it was more than that, loving him was a part of who I was. I didn't tell him that, because hyung wasn't ready yet, and neither was I.

 

 

It was raining the first time Jinki was asked out on a date. He had forgotten his umbrella, so I came over to his high school to walk home with him. We were standing together under my father's big black umbrella, looking at each other and giggling, when a shy girl hesitantly approached.

“Jinki, will you go out with me?” She said and my world crumbled.

He stuttered awkwardly, until I took over and said: “Sorry, but he's not interested.”

Before he could contradict me, I grabbed his wrist and dragged him along. We walked in silence, for a long time, until I said:

“I don't want you dating that girl.”

“Okay.” He said simply, and my heart felt calm again.

 

 

The skies were blue when I played my most important game in soccer. Finally, I was in high school, same as hyung, and he always came to all my games. Except this one. I scored three goals, but it didn't mean anything because hyung wasn't watching. After the game, I skipped the celebration to go to his house, not sure whether to be mad or worried, so I decided on both.

There were no cars in the driveway, but he answered the door.

“Is everything okay?” I asked when I saw his swollen eyes.

He didn't answer, so I invited myself into the house, and closed the door behind me.

He avoided my gaze, but I stared at him until he caved.

“Someone saw you kissing a girl behind the gym.” He muttered down to his chest.

“I didn't.” I answered immediately, truthfully.

Jinki looked up at me, tears welling up again. “But they...”

“I didn't.” I repeated, softly but confidently.

He looked at me, so I wiped his tears away and added: “I don't want that.”

Recently, I had gotten taller than him and even though he was my hyung he looked so small and precious, and I wanted him to be mine. He was mine, so I moved closer, and closer, my heart feeling tingly. His thick lips were the softest thing I had ever touched and my chest filled with all the colors of the rainbow.

 

 

Twenty years later we are on a trip to Thailand, celebrating my promotion. We are sitting on the balcony with colorful drinks decorated with umbrellas and curly straws. The sun is setting, painting the sky pretty and pink, reminding me of our past, of the moment I realised how much I love him. So I reach out and hold his hand. He smiles at me, one of his big smiles that makes everything better.

“Minho-yah... What do you call a small person in Thailand?”

“I don't know.” I reply diligently, already amused because I know what's coming.

“Thai-ny.” He says and laughs loudly, filling the air with the sound of his happiness.

The tint on his cheeks matches the sky and I fall in love with him all over again.