Smoke & mirrors

Real or Not?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae cradled Kyuhyun's head and placed it on his lap, eyes scanning his body for signs of distress. Kyuhyun had collapsed as soon as the abrupt alarm stopped ringing. This was not supposed to happen. Not like this! He didn't respond to the mocking words that Alec had just said, he was not going to entertain him anymore.

"Wake up Kyuhyun", Donghae pleaded, face turning red at the emotions he was trying to contain, even his eyes hurt. He felt the shallow breaths that Kyuhyun took and saw the fingers of his free arm twitch. "We are almost out of here. Come on Kyu", he placed his free arm on top of his abdomen closer to where his injured arm was tucked in the jacket. Donghae was trying to sound hopeful, trying not to let the fear overwhelm him, but his voice wavered revealing the cracks in his demeanour. 

Alec's annoying childish laughter echoed throughout the place, bouncing off of the walls and low ceilings.​​​​​"This is what happens to a real human when they get trapped inside a game." He made a small tsk tsk sound which grated on Donghae's nerves, and continued as if disappointed,​​"You are supposed to know such things. Haven't you learnt anything Donghae?" 

Donghae patted Kyuhyun's cheek gently and rubbed his fingers that were under Kyuhyun's head at his hair. He was fine. Kyuhyun was fine until yesterday. What happened today? He pulled Kyuhyun's body upright, trying to carry him up in his arms. He knew they can't linger longer inside this game and so he decided he would get through this place whether Kyuhyun is awake or not, be it in his arms, if it has to!

​​​​"If you had let Kyuhyun play the game as per my rules, he would have already been free", the tone was cold and it made Donghae stop even before he could take his first step. He had barely straigthened after he picked up Kyuhyun but there it was, those unclear ambiguous words, making him wonder what does Alec mean by that?

"If you hadn't been selfish, he could have returned home and be healthy and safe. But you just can't think of others can you." Alec continued his tirade, "I wonder how long he can survive in this game? How long can his body survive without proper means of sustainence?"

Donghae tried not to pay heed to the echoing voice. It was nonsense with every syllable that was uttered. He started towards the coach which was in his sight, just opposite the safety glass panels, his injured body struggling to carry their combined weight. The warm body in his arms and his shallow breaths were enough proof for him that the person would be safe.

'Kyuhyun will be fine, right?'

"You really think you can make it out of here? That I will let you leave this place?"  The threatening tone that echoed, sent a chill down his spine. He closed his eyes, still walking. He can't let him get to his head again.

"You are sorely mistaken Donghae. The only one who can make it out of here is Kyuhyun and only if he plays the game and does what I ask him to."

Donghae's jaw slackened as he took those words in. Was he wrong to think that he was similar to Kyuhyun and they could get out of here together. He stared at Kyuhyun's face, his shadow hovering over his features, as if his presence was bringing doom at his door, a pang of guilt hit his heart.

He is lying like always!

Never believe what Alec spouts out of his mouth. Alec just wants to correct the corrupted code of the game, which will probably benefit him and grant him more control. He can't let that happen, can't let Kyuhyun follow through Alec's orders, ever.

He repeated it in his mind. This was all again weird tactics to keep him trapped here and nothing more. He faltered, feeling his resolve of getting the both of them safely out of here weaken as faint grunts of the creatures could be heard in the distance.

"Think about it! If you were like Kyuhyun,  you would already be dead in the real world."

The truth behind those words scared him out of his mind. He had reached the safety glass panels and the open doors of the coach were right in front of him. He wanted to ignore what Alec had just said, but a part of him dreaded that it might be true. That he would be no longer alive after staying trapped in this game for so long. He doesn't even have his memories!

The warm weight in his arms suddenly writhed, almost making the both of them stumble and fall down. Kyuhyun gasped in pain and mumbled something incoherent. Donghae carefully knelt and laid Kyuhyun on the ground, propping his body in a sitting position against his own.

Kyuhyun touched his elbow with his uninjured arm, his eyebrows scrunched at the centre. "Don't... Don't listen to him", he gasped out. He peeled his eyes open and met Donghae's hovering gaze. He shook his head, "Don't..."  imploring him not to overthink and be into the world of lies Alec has created.

Donghae nodded and let Kyuhyun sit by himself. He had an almost absentminded look in his eyes, but to Kyuhyun's relief Donghae just went to the glass panels and was trying to pry them open with his fingers. After a few attempts, he was successful to open a small crack between them. He took a deep breath, inserted his fingers in the gap he had just created, leveraged his body to one side and dragged one of the glass panels towards his body. The glass squeaked as he pulled it aside, a few cracks appearing at its edges, probably from the lock mechanisms that were attached. 

Kyuhyun covered his ears at the high pitch noise, staggering on his feet. Both bodies collied into each other, making both surprised. Donghae thought Kyuhyun was about to fall and so he rushed to him. Kyuhyun on the other hand wanted to stop Donghae after he saw drops of blood staining the transparent glass.

"You alright", Donghae asked in a breathy voice, confused.

"Your hands", Kyuhyun held his hands at the same time, bringing attention to the cut on his palm. Donghae didn't even flinch when Kyuhyun tied a cloth tightly around the cut.

"Yo... both think ...."

Alec's words ended in static noises as Kyuhyun boarded the coach with Donghae beside him. He turned around and looked at the doors trying to find a switch to close them. Donghae l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter