Not that easy

Real or Not?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae swerved the bike along the road, minding the few cracks and ditches. Kyuhyun sitting behind him had a slightly higher seat and since Donghae had to bend, the rushing wind hit the taller guy. Kyuhyun clutched Donghae's jacket tighter at the freezing cold wind that hit his face.

He lowered his head, using Donghae's body as a shield. "I know this is fun...." his voice trailed as he turned his head to the other side, trying to find a comfortable position. "But I am being slapped in the face by the wind", Kyuhyun continued with a giggle in his tone. 

Donghae moved his shoulder, straightening his back a bit which hit Kyuhyun in his chin. He slowed down, "Sorry. I got a bit carried away." Donghae genuinely was apologising for the rare way he behaved. He has always stayed grounded, knowing all too well that this place is not for his enjoyment. This is his prison.

But the joy he felt when Kyuhyun's words showed his trust in him made him forget about his resolutions. Kyuhyun relaxed his grip on Donghae's jacket, tucking his own collar that had flapped up as they settled into a slower ride. Kyuhyun didn't want an apology, he wasn't really complaining.

Donghae picked up the pace a little as they passed by a large commercial complex that had crumbling walls and broken cracked windows. Kyuhyun was wondering about how glorious it would have looked if it weren't for the ruins. Donghae cleared his throat, "I know what is causing the glitch."

Kyuhyun turned away from the ruins, "You saw the glitch too?" Kyuhyun had come closer to Donghae, his face beside Donghae's ear.

Donghae nodded his head, "It's because of Alec." Kyuhyun didn't interrupt, he had guessed that himself too. "This game was corrupted from the get go. It's what caused us being trapped here. But Alec doing things as he pleases is destroying the game more."

Kyuhyun looked around, taking the passing by scenery. He had seen several locations back when he was separated. "It's like he is overriding the game protocols which is corrupting the code." Kyuhyun added after a bit of thought. "I saw this place too", his voice trailed off. 

Donghae was curious where Kyuhyun had been, but he couldn't muster the courage to ask him for some reason. Kyuhyun peered at Donghae's face from behind, "You wanna ask something?" Donghae's ears grew a shade redder at Kyuhyun's remark. "Why are you blushing?" His breath rushed into Donghae's ear, making the latter duck his head.

"I am not." Donghae shrugged his shoulder where Kyuhyun was about to place his chin. "Where were you?" He asked, eyes blinking rapidly. "Did you not go back to the real world? Alec said he was proving a point to me."

Kyuhyun shook his head, "Nah. Teleported to a freakishly white cell and had to walk hours to a room full of monitors. Long story short Alec was pissed at finding me there, lecturing me on he is the boss and bla bla. He threatened to send me to the start of the game, this time without you being there but I saw the glitch at the same time as Alec opened the portal to restart the game."

Kyuhyun smacked Donghae on his shoulder lightly, "I took the chance and touched the glitch in hopes of returning to you and I actually did. Cool right? " Kyuhyun sounded happy. Though Alec had filled his ears with doubts against Donghae and his claims, he didn't believe them and so didn't bother to mention it either.

Donghae hummed, thinking over what he heard. A white cell, sounds similar to where he had woken up, but it was a small cubicle. Alec sounding confused at Kyuhyun's appearance shows that he didn't have control over the situation. Alec was once again lying to him. "Monitors. What was on the monitors, surveillance footage or?"

"Yes, sort of. There were lots of screens and I saw on one of them the store we were in and even myself standing in the monitor room on them. I couldn't find you though, you must have left." Kyuhyun didn't tell him about the screen which Alec had rewinded to show Donghae sitting alone.

"You are right. I think Alec is loosing control over the game." Kyuhyun said after a bout of silence. Donghae was ruminating over the shared information. He stopped the bike, balancing it against his feet. The sound of the motor could be heard just round the corner. "Is that..."

"Why are you stopping", Kyuhyun patted Donghae's shoulder rapidly when the patrolling rover emerged out of the nearby crossroad. Donghae released the clutch and rushed ahead, the patrolling rover turning around to follow them. It started blaring a siren and soon another patrolling rover joined in the chase. Donghae kept an eye on them through the rear view mirror.

Kyuhyun turned back to see the two vehicles at their tail, "How do we get rid of them?" He got closer to Donghae, holding onto him tightly. Donghae increased the speed and the jerked the bike making it jump in air for a bit. Kyuhyun cursed under his breath, "You have an uncomfortable passenger Donghae!"

One of the patrolling rover had picked up speed too and was almost by their side. Donghae dodged the incoming car by changing lanes. The sun had already set and the street light flickered on as they crossed them one by one. 

Donghae slowed down when their road ahead was blocked by another patrolling rover. He hit the brakes reluctantly, bringing them to an abrupt halt. The patrolling rovers that had been following them also stopped on either side of their bike. Kyuhyun was about to urge Donghae to move when he noticed the alley on their left behind the rover. Donghae nodded his head to the left and when the rover inched closer, he immediately started the bike and dodged away to the other side. The two rovers collided into each other, their incessant sirens dieing down on the impact.

The alley in which Donghae entered into was narrow and the patrolling rovers couldn't enter. Kyuhyun tapped his shoulder,  "they could come from another direction since they are aware of where we plan to go. Why don't we rest some place else? That'll throw them off our trail."

Donghae was driving the bike on neutral, letting gravity lead the bike down the slope. He did as suggested by Kyuhyun and took several turns, avoiding to get too far but also reasonably away from the detection of the patrolling rovers. The dim sounds of sirens could be heard in the distance, its sound getting muted as they drove further down the hilly alleys passing by residential complexes. 

Donghae had stopped in front of a rundown old building. It was farther away

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter