1/1

Imperfect Love

Seungkwan wiped his forehead with his arm.  He took a moment to take his gloves off, pick up his bottle of water, and gulp as much as he could.  He saw his boss watching him from the second floor.  He saw him move.  Seungkwan quickly put the bottle away before putting his mask up followed by putting his gloves on.  His heart raced as he saw his boss approaching.  I'm doomed. He thought.  Once the man walked up to him, Seungkwan bowed his head.

 

"This is why you're always working late, huh?"  The man asked. "You take too many breaks.  You only work four hours, you don't need multiple breaks."  He scolded.

 

"I just needed some water."  Seungkwan replied.  "Surely you take a moment for a drink."

 

The man grabbed the broom from Seungkwan's cart.  "We're on two different levels, Boo."  He pushed the handle into Seungkwan's hand.  "I run the show here: I manage several departments, handle legal issues, etc.  I'm not a low-class worker like you."  He said.  "Now go back to scrubbing toilets."  He walked away.

 

Seungkwan inwardly huffed.  "Whatever.."  He muttered as he entered the bathroom.  He finished within fifteen minutes and then clocked out when he put the cart away.  He washed his hands thoroughly and made sure he smelled good.  He then walked across to the cafe that was in the same building. 

 

Boo Seungkwan is a twenty year-old man living in Seoul.  He works in a mall being a part-time janitor and barista.  Being that he can't afford college, he is limited on the jobs he can do.  That didn't make Seungkwan feel less than a person though.  Seungkwan is a good worker and he has good coworkers.  His bosses on the other hand are a little rude. 

 

Seungkwan tied his apron and gave his coworker a high-five.  "Good luck today."  The other male said.

 

"Thanks, Jeonghan."  Seungkwan replied.  "Have fun with Cheol." 

 

Jeonghan hummed.  "Thank you for covering my shift yesterday.  Just tell me when you want me to cover you."  He winked.

 

"You got it."  Seungkwan agreed.

 

"Get to work, Boo!  We have a line!"  The manager called out.

 

Seungkwan and Jeonghan nonchalantly rolled their eyes.  They bid each other adieu and Seungkwan went to the counter to start taking orders.  He looked around and spotted a man sitting by himself with no drink.  Seungkwan tilted his head and raised his eyebrows at the male.  The other just shrugged and smiled.  Once the crowd got their drinks and pastries, the lone man stood up and walked up to the counter.

 

"I shall not see the shadows,

   I shall not feel the rain;

I shall not hear the nightingale

   Sing on, as if in pain:

And dreaming through the twilight

That doth not rise nor set,

Haply I may remember,

And happily may forget."  Vernon quoted.

 

Seungkwan smiled.  "Who wrote that one?" He asked.

 

"Christina Rosetti."  The man replied.  "A very talented English lady from the nineteenth century who wrote many romantic poems and children's songs." 

 

Seungkwan hummed.  "I want to hear the words that you come up with."  He said.

 

The other chuckled.  "I'm not smart enough."

 

Seungkwan huffed.  "You're great, Vernon."  He said.  "I want to hear your emotions."

 

Vernon smiled.  "New Year's is in a couple weeks."  He mentioned.  "Could we hang out?"  He asked.

 

Seungkwan in a breath.  "I work on that day.. How late are you willing to wait?"  He asked.

 

Vernon leaned on the counter.  "You have until midnight."  He answered.  "Now get to work, Boo.  I want a caramel expresso."  He teased.

 

Seungkwan chuckled.  "True, my boss is giving me the glare."  He noticed.

 

Vernon shrugged.  "He can't get mad when you're catering a customer."  He mentioned.  "So what if we've been friends for awhile?"

 

Seungkwan hummed and handed the cup to him.  "Have you been hired anywhere yet?"  He asked.

 

Vernon shook his head.  "I've done ten interviews this week,"  He started, "they were up front with telling me that they aren't interested in me."  He explained.  "I guess dropping out of high school was a mistake.."  He laughed sadly.

 

Seungkwan rolled his eyes.  "Literally, shut up."  He said.  "You're more than your grades."  He said.

 

Vernon liked Seungkwan's sass. "I think that I'm going to work for my GED."  He said.

 

Seungkwan accepted the cash that Vernon gave to him.  "Just don't burn yourself out."  He said.  "If you really want this, I fully support you."

 

"Thank you."  Vernon smiled.


 

***

 

Seungkwan walked into the cafe.  It was New Year's Eve.  He looked at the TV that was playing the news.

 

News Anchor Huang Renjun:

 

"Hello, today there was a horrific accident.  Investigators have found the remains of flight 127 that went missing early last week.  The plane crashed in Japan, killing every passenger on board.  Officers Jeno and Jisung are trying to find two men who have gone missing: Mark Lee and Lee Donghyuck.  They say that it may be spring by the time they find them."

 

"Oh my, that's so sad."  Jeonghan said, turning the channel.

 

Seungkwan sighed and set up the store.  "Thank you for accepting my request to stay later today."  He said.

 

Jeonghan smiled and tied his apron.  "Of course, I said anytime."  He replied.

 

"You can't have romantic time with Cheol though."  Seungkwan felt a wave of guilt.

 

Jeonghan huffed.  "That guy better be here soon."  He said.  "We're going to be here together.  And after midnight, we'll have a bite to eat before bed."  He explained his master plan.  "Besides, you need some relaxation."

 

Seungkwan nodded.  "He's been depressed lately."  He said.  "People have been treating him poorly because he dropped out at sixteen."

 

Jeonghan shook his head.  "You two and associating education with success."  He folded his arms.  "I have a passion for this, but I have my bachelor's.  Is it the best pay?  No, but it's a job that I love.  I've had too many jobs that I hated, it's not worth the extra pay."

 

"I wish I could tell that to Vernon.."  Seungkwan looked down.

 

"Tell him tonight."  Jeonghan said.  "Once it turns midnight, it's a new year - a new beginning."  He encouraged.

 

Seungkwan nodded.  "We may be imperfect, but I love him."  He admitted.

 

Jeonghan smirked.  "I know."

 

"You knew?!"  Seungkwan widened his eyes.

 

"You forget that we've known each other through high school."  Jeonghan laughed.  "I approve.  You two are the perfect match."  He said.

 

Seungkwan watched customers approach.  "If the wise Jeonghan approves, then it's meant to be."  He joked.

 

"Yep!"  Jeonghan agreed proudly.


 

~ * ~

 

Vernon dressed in a pair of jeans and a hoodie: one of the three outfits that he has.  He first met up with Seungcheol.  "Hey,"  Vernon greeted, "where are you headed?"  He asked.

 

Seungcheol smiled brightly.  "Going to the flower shop first, then the cafe."  He answered.  "You?"

 

"Flowers."  Vernon agreed.

 

Seungcheol laughed and entered the shop with Vernon.  "Are you getting Seungkwan flowers?"  He asked.

 

"I've been researching flowers lately."  Vernon said.  "Arborvitae symbolizes unchanging friendship."  He picked up two stems.  "Asters are a symbol of love."  He picked up three.  "Pink camellias are for longing for someone while red camellias show a flame resonating in one's heart for another."  He took one of each.  "Lastly, red chrysanthemums say I love you."

 

Seungcheol had an impressed smile.  "So poetic."  He commented.  "If Seungkwan had any doubts, that bouquet is screaming I love you."  He chuckled.

 

"I just don't know how to say it in my own words."  Vernon said.

 

Seungcheol shrugged.  "Words can be irrelevant.  The heart tells on itself."  He said.  "I looked into Jeonghan's eyes and he looked into mine; we didn't say a word, we just kissed."  He explained as he remembered their first act of love.

 

Vernon couldn't help but smile.  "I wish I could give him more."  He counted the bills in his wallet.

 

Seungcheol gently nudged him to the side before scanning his card.  "I think he's content with having you."  He said.

 

"Dang, the support."  Vernon held his chest.  "Thank you."

 

"It's what friends are for."  Seungcheol replied.  "We'll have to go on a double date in the new year."  He winked.

 

Vernon blushed as he followed Seungcheol out of the shop.  They casually walk to the mall.  They saw how busy it was: most people were ordering to-go.  Finding an empty table was easy.  It was close to eight o'clock at night by now.  Seungcheol watched Jeonghan work with loving eyes.  Seeing their success, Vernon was confident.

 

He watched Seungkwan take his apron off.  He waved to Jeonghan before picking up two cups of hot cocoa.  He then walked up to Vernon, who stood up.  "Lead the way, Mr. Choi."  He teased.

 

Veron smiled and walked out of the mall.  They went into the library that Vernon has been visiting lately.  The library has a rooftop with benches and a table.  They stood there in the cold December air.  Seungkwan eyed the flowers as he put the drinks down on the small table there.  Vernon smiles and gives the bouquet to the shorter man.  "What's this for?"  Seungkwan asked.

 

Vernon cleared his throat.  "I.. I made a poem for you."  He said.

 

Seungkwan's eyes lit up.  "Really? I can't wait for it!"  He clapped in excitement.

 

"It's very cheesy.."  Vernon muttered.

 

"They're your words.  I don't care if others like it."  Seungkwan said.  "Express yourself."

 

Vernon nodded, gaining confidence from Seungkwan's sass.

 

"Maybe I'll cry for a love that is not perfect yet

I want to make an endless story hidden like an old book

Together we become old and worn out

Even if you come to me - who's useless - it'll remain as a deep scent

Until it becomes a perfect love"

 

Seungkwan had tears in his eyes as he listened to every line carefully.  "I.. I hope you don't think that I'm stealing your idea, but I wrote a little something too."  He wiped a tear.

 

Vernon nodded.  "I love hearing your voice too."  He replied.

 

Seungkwan took out a piece of receipt paper.  "I'm sorry that it's informal, I get ideas while working."  He laughed.

 

"There wasn't a single day

In which I wasn't sincere to you.

There are many, many things shining in this world

But among them, you're the only one that's precious to me"

 

Seungkwan carefully put the bouquet down and walked closer to Vernon, putting his arms around him.  "I love you, Vernon." He whispered.

 

"I love you too."  Vernon returned in a soft whisper.  "I'll hold you closer for ever - for the rest of my life."  He promised.

 

Seungkwan sniffled.  "To the New year - New beginnings."  He said.

 

"To our hearts - for coming together like a pen and paper."  Vernon replied.

 

Seungkwan pulled back to kiss Vernon.  The kiss was so sweet and so soft; it was everything that the couple imagined and more.  They settled together in each other's hold, watching the stars.  They counted down the time to the new year; hand-in-hand, they prayed for success and happiness together.

 

 


🎉💖🎊