Holiday Plans

Make A Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2. Holiday Plans

 

Though waking up early was never his favorite thing to do, Hyukjae nevertheless made it back to Donghae’s shop around 8:45 the next morning. The night before he had spent long hours finalizing any work that was due as well as looking over his travel plans and the rental agreement for the car. The airline had sent an email about possible delays due to a storm front moving through the area, so there was a chance he would be stuck anyway. Whether that would be here, with Donghae, or in a hotel somewhere near the airport was a dilemma he hoped to find an answer for today.

The previous day already felt like a pleasant dream, and the fascination for Donghae a simple crush based on a nice day and a handsome face.

Yet seeing him again, smiling and directing the shop workers while hoisting heavy boxes and bags as easily as if they were filled with tissue, he knew it was more. Donghae was the whole package. Sweet, silly, and kind, with an attractive body and a delicious that was often on display as he moved.

He tried his best to suppress those wayward thoughts as they worked. Donghae was beloved in this town. Everyone seemed to love him from the smallest children to the elderly. And when Hyukjae found out the “payment” the townspeople gave him for the donations of food, toys and household goods, it was so adorable he felt tears in his eyes. Ornaments. Christmas ornaments. Almost all of them homemade, many by children. Each one was reverently placed in a container in the delivery van, and only when the van was almost empty and the container full, did Hyukjae finally ask, “Are these a tradition for you now, too?”

With a delighted chuckle, Donghae replied, “I never asked for them, but a few years back some of the people I had helped before decided it would be a fun thing to do. I have a Christmas shop, after all, and I wouldn’t accept anything else in return, so they got word around town and people started handing me these. It’s so sweet, though, I love it.”

“Do you hang them up at the shop?”

“On Christmas. I like to spend the day there.”

“Alone?” Hyukjae asked in surprise. After all, with as well-liked as Donghae was, he’d been certain the other man would have plenty of invitations. Perhaps even from a special someone that Hyukjae just hadn’t heard about yet.

“Yes,” he answered in a quiet voice. “I go to church in the morning. Sometimes I’ll pay some calls if I’m invited. But usually, I just spend the day at home.”

“But it’s Christmas,” Hyukjae argued. “Isn’t Christmas supposed to be spent with people you love?”

Donghae was silent for a moment, his eyes sad and far away. Then he cleared his throat and whispered, “I guess I haven’t found anyone else to love yet.”

Suddenly remembering the loses Donghae had endured, Hyukjae bit his lip. “Well, maybe if you wish for it this year, you’ll find someone.”

There was no answer, but Donghae smiled again, his eyes on the road. Just when Hyukjae worried that the conversation was irrevocably halted, he heard a mumble from the man at the wheel.

“Maybe I will.”

 

When the deliveries were completed, they returned to the shop, parking the van in the back of the parking lot. Hyukjae was wondering if it would be awkward of him to invite Donghae to dinner again, but before he had a chance to decide on a proper wording, the other man said, “I treat all the shop workers to a meal today since the store is closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. There’s plenty of food if you wanted to stay and have something to eat.”

“Sounds great. As long as you don’t mind.”

“I’m inviting you, aren’t I?” The words had a firmness to them that Hyukjae wasn’t expecting, so he glanced over to make sure Donghae wasn’t upset with him, only to find the other man smiling at him from the corner of his eyes.

“Food is my absolute weakness,” Hyukjae joked to lighten the tension. Was he the only one feeling it? It felt like he had stepped on Donghae’s feelings earlier, but there was no lingering animosity, and the warm twinkle was back in the other man’s eyes.

The shop was still open, but the workers, whom Hyukjae had met earlier, were gathered in the back eating and laughing. There was an older woman in her fifties, who Donghae had said was the shop manager, two younger women around their age, and a few teenagers. They greeted Donghae with a rousing hello, and welcomed the two men to the table, someone sliding plates into their hands as trays of food were pushed toward them.

Hyukjae sat back to observe as his crush chatted with the others. Just as yesterday, and a few times during their deliveries today, he deflected questions about why Hyukjae was there by explaining that he was a friend who happened to be in town for a few days. Only when someone mentioned Tiktok did Donghae pipe up and say, “Oh, Hyukjae does that, too.”

Which caused the teens to ask him what his handle was, information Hyukjae gave up with some caution.

“Wait! You’re AllRiseSilver? I’ve seen your videos before?” One of the girls shouted this news and then everyone wanted to look up his content and talk about it.

“Did you come here to film the shop for your channel?” asked another. “Hey Aiden, you’ll be famous!”

“I haven’t decided yet,” Donghae demurred. “You know I don’t like publicity.”

“But the right sort of publicity could help the cause,” the older women commented gently. “If your friend wanted to talk about the charity, perhaps we could get more people to donate, and you would be able to help others.”

“Oh no,” Donghae shook his head, horrified, “I wouldn’t ask him to do that.”

“I wouldn’t mind,” Hyukjae offered.

“We can talk about it later,” the other man dismissed the idea. “Let’s just enjoy the meal. Has everyone finished their Christmas shopping?”

The conversation was successfully diverted. Once everyone was finished eating Donghae insisted they box up the leftovers to take home, and soon after that he was locking up the shop for the evening and waving goodbye to the employees. Only the manager lingered behind to tell him, “I left two boxes in the cooler for you and your friend. Enjoy your evening, Aiden, and I’ll see you at church on Sunday.”

“Thank you, Susan. Say hello to your family for me.” The two shared a brief hug, and then the building was empty save for the two of them.

Suddenly Hyukjae felt incredibly self-conscious. Should he leave as well? Or stay? He wanted to stay, but could he ask for that? What if Donghae had other plans? The curious and amused look on the other man’s face seemed to indicate he was waiting for Hyukjae to say or do something, but it was impossible to know what it might be.

“I read some of your comics last night.”

“You did?” A hot, sinking feeling spread through his blood and Hyukjae swallowed hard as he asked, “And? What did you think?”

“You’re a really good artist, Hyukjae.”

“Thanks.”

“They were surprisingly romantic. You know, considering the plots.”

“Which ones did you read?”

“Does it matter?”

“Maybe.”

“Would you believe me if I said all of them?” Donghae's voice grew soft, almost yearning, and he took a step closer as he continued, “I still think you should put me in one of your stories, though.”

“Do you?” Why did he now feel like the innocent one? Hyukjae was the one drawing graphic comics, yet he was frozen at the idea that Donghae might be flirting with him.

“Would you like to come upstairs tonight? I still have hot cocoa.”

Was it a pickup line? Had he been too dense to notice it the night before? Or too caught up in his own indecisiveness? “I do like hot cocoa.”

The smile that slowly spread across Donghae’s face was one of the prettiest things he thought he’d ever seen. And when the other man reached out to take his hand, Hyukjae would have gladly followed him anywhere.

They walked through the Christmas room and into a back hallway, where a set of stairs led up. Hyukjae trailed behind Donghae, aware of the happy grin on the other man’s face but distracted by the sway of his . Was this really happening? He hoped so, but wasn’t going to do or say anything too forward until he was sure.

He got distracted again when Donghae let him into the apartment. It had clearly been a commercial space at some point and was wide open with no walls, and only a bare minimum of furniture or decorations. Unlike the downstairs, the apartment only had one small tabletop Christmas tree. Around it was some framed photos that Hyukjae assumed to be Donghae’s family. There was a neat desk in the corner, some bookcases crammed with a haphazard arrangement of books, and a few plants on the windowsill. Only one couch to sit on, and no television. Across the room there was a kitchenette with a dining bar and some stools. Behind that was a half wall that must hide Donghae’s bed, and another door that he assumed led to the bathroom.

“Wow, this is…”

“Boring?” Donghae giggled. “I know. Decorating has never been my strong suit.”

“I see.”

“Hyukjae?”

“Yes?” he asked, turning around to face the other man who was still standing behind him, back to the door.

“I know I asked you this already, but the things you write in your comics, are those from personal experience?”

“It depends which things,” he teased back nervously, going tense when Donghae took a step closer, eyes lovingly tracing the lines of Hyuk’s mouth.

“You know, two men, together, kissing and… other things.”

“Oh…” A different kind of heat raced through him as Donghae chewed on the edge of his lower lip, dark eyes staring at him with a mixture of trepidation and hope. “Not all of it. I haven’t done all of it. But two men, yes. Yes, Donghae, I’ve done that.”

“Mmm…” he murmured, nodding slightly. “Me too. Would you like to?”

“With you? Absolutely.”

Donghae relaxed immediately, breaking into a smile. “Me too. With you. You’re so handsome, Hyukjae.”

“You are, too.”

“Can I kiss you?”

“Please do.”

Closing the gap between them, Donghae put his arms around Hyukjae’s shoulders and pressed their lips together as his eyes closed in happiness.

Being slightly shorter than him, Donghae went onto his tiptoes as he leaned their chests together. His lips were soft and welcoming. Hyukjae had already noted the supple curves of his hips and and the way his chest filled out his shirt, but it was surprising to feel how delicate Donghae was despite the muscles.

As they slow-danced toward the bedroom, peeling back the layers of winter clothing, Hyukjae was able to explore the way the other man’s waist nipped in above his pants, and how well the shape of his fit perfectly into Hyuk’s large palms.

Tumbling into the bed, Hyuk marveled at how natural this felt. As if they had known each other forever. All his nervousness was left behind as it became clear that Donghae wanted him, wanted this. The last of their clothing was tossed aside, skin met skin, fingertips tracing one another’s bodies with a need that was greedy but still gentle.

“You’re so beautiful,” Hyuk murmured, pressing kisses into Donghae’s tanned skin.

“You are, too,” Donghae smiled, laying back and spreading his legs so that he could pull Hyukjae on top of him.

“Is this okay?”

“I want you. Please?” He asked with such innocent eyes, an expression at odds with the position they were in, and Hyukjae wanted nothing more than to wrap his arms around this precious creature and hear him sigh from happiness.

“Do you have anything? Lube? Protection?”

“I do. Under the pillow.”

“Under…? Were you planning something tonight?” Hyukjae grinned at the blush that raced up Donghae’s neck.

“I was hoping. Doesn’t hurt to be prepared.”

“I’m flattered.” Leaning in for another kiss, Hyuk slid one hand under the pillow, finding the and lube where it was hidden.

Then he did his best to give Donghae everything he’d been hoping for. With kisses and caresses, preparing him until he was writhing on the bed and groaning, voice straining into a higher register as the pleasure nearly overwhelmed him. Entering Donghae was like a homecoming. Perfect. Their bodies felt as if they had been made for each other, fitting together like pieces of a puzzle, hot and damp with sweat. Hyukjae pushed himself to new heights, straining to hold back his own release until Donghae threw back his head and yelled out Hyuk’s name, body shuddering as he clutched the sheets.

Carefully, gently, Hyukjae pulled out and lay down at Donghae’s side, his heart racing, emotions in a tangle as Donghae rolled over and flung an arm and leg over him, trapping Hyuk as he snuggled closer.

“Are you okay?” Hyuk asked tenderly, lifting a hand to the hair away from the other man’s face.

“Amazing. That was even better than I expected. Thank you, Hyukjae.”

“I should be thanking you.”

“Was it good for you, too?”

“So good.”

“Then let’s rest a bit and maybe we can try it again,” Donghae giggled.

It wasn’t the response he was expecting, but Hyukjae had no objections.

 

Over the course of his life Hyukjae had spent a decent amount of time having . Mostly with men, but there had been experiments here and there with women. There were a few partners, especially when he was younger and mired in the idea of a traditional life, that he might have convinced himself he could fall in love and spend a life with.

Not one of them had ever roused his protective nature, or made him feel more cherished, than Donghae managed to do in less than a day. He didn’t ask about Donghae’s past relationships. There was no need for that information. His experience was evident in the give and take of his lovemaking. The genuine desire and attraction for Hyukjae was unmistakable in the happiness in his eyes and the fascination of his touch.

They didn’t end up having again immediately, but they spent some time exploring each other’s bodies, learning every curve and muscle, studying the places that evoked the most pleasurable responses. There was no need for words that evening, though they used them anyway, whispering compliments and praise between kisses.

Hyukjae thought it might be close to midnight when Donghae’s stomach grumbled and the other men let out a giggle of embarrassment, sitting up with his bed-rumpled hair to rub at his abdomen while his lips pouted out childishly and in direct opposition to his gorgeous body.

“Hungry?”

“It’s late. We didn’t really have dinner.”

“Should we eat something? I wouldn’t mind taking a break to refuel.”

Letting out a laugh, Donghae offered, “I could cook something if you want. I didn’t really buy any groceries, but lucky for us, there’s a store right downstairs and I know the owner quite well. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind us taking a few things and paying for them later.”

“That is handy,” Hyukjae chuckled in amusement. “What did you have in mind? That late lunch we had was pretty good. Didn’t we have leftovers?”

“Yes!” Donghae’s eyes went wide. “We can run downstairs and grab those and maybe a few snacks. Want to?”

“Like this?” Hyukjae gestured toward his own self and felt a tingle of desire as Donghae’s eyes followed, lingering on his lower body before blinking quickly and returning to his face.

“That would be quite the neighborhood scandal if we were caught.”

“Who would catch us? Your employees are all gone for the evening, right?”

“I hope so! It’s midnight! But maybe some clothes would be a good idea, just while we’re downstairs.”

Agreeing easily, Hyukjae accepted the t-shirt and sweatpants Donghae offered him, stealing glances at the other man’s when he bent over. Exquisite. Either he was understanding his preferences for the first time, or Donghae was just walking perfection. Whatever it was, Hyukjae couldn’t seem to take his eyes off the man.

Sneaking downstairs like a pair of errant teenagers, they laughed their way through the store, picking out candy, popcorn, even some ramen cups, along with the packaged leftovers, th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter