Crush

Your Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

| Dohyun |

Three weeks, that was how long Dohyun learned was necessary for two people to become friends. 

That night, while going to the bakery, their strange relationship changed. Obviously nothing was said, Minji didn't seem to want to say it aloud and Dohyun wasn't the type to ask. 

Somehow they just began hanging out, and quite frequently at that. 

Whenever she was finished with her student council responsibilities, she'd show up at the Happy Gamer, studying and chatting while waiting for him to get off work.

On a few occasions she even shuttled orders at Yoochan's request, while he was preoccupied helping another customer... much to his dismay. 

When he was finished, they almost always went to a cafe, where they'd keep studying until later. Honestly, it was good for him, learning how organized and productive she was, it helped him focus more on his studying. 

It was a nice change to his otherwise bland life. 

"So if I take the natural log of both sides, I'll get one-half ln 'x' squared minus two minus the natural log of three." She kept her pencil pointed to her final answer, as Dohyun looked it over. 

"Is that right?" 

The two of them were currently seated at the front desk of the PC Bang. Out of the blue she had approached him asking him to help her solve a problem on her math homework.

As expected, she had constructed the perfect formula and used the optimal approach. Solving it in front of him so quickly it felt like she was the one tutoring him. 

"Right..." He scratched his head, wondering why she had asked him for help in the first place. 

"I thought sunbae was good at math? Are you sure this is right?" She bluntly questioned. 

Dohyun scoffed as he flipped over his own notebook and began to solve the same question. Just because he wasn't the top ranked student, it didn't mean he'd let someone so blatantly question his intelligence. 

"You're right. There. See." He pointed at his hastily thrown together solution. 

"Ya, you just copied what I wrote. You didn't change the formula at all." She accused.

Correctly too... 

"Why'd you even ask me in the first place then if you know the answer?" He demanded in playful frustration. 

"That's cause—" 

At that moment, he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Yoochan hyung. 

"Hey why don't you finish up early today?" He was grinning, his eyes darting between the two. 

"Nice, let's go to a cafe then, there's one not far that I saw great reviews about." Minji spoke first, basically accepting the offer on his behalf. 

"But is Jinsung hyung here to take over yet?" Dohyun questioned, slightly concerned for the state of his workplace. 

"He'll be here in like half an hour, I can hold down the fort until then. Go treat your hoobae to some coffee, she's been a huge help around here lately." Yoochan seemed to be almost forcing him to leave. 

"Perfect, I'll go change quickly. Sunbae should go collect the dishes from numbers 112 and 143 before you leave." Minji ordered as if she was a part-timer there as well, before getting up and leaving her backpack in tow. 

Change? 

Dohyun, narrowed his eyes in confusion at his hyung, wondering what was the cause of the -eating grin. "Hey, go on your little date. At least one of us shouldn't be lonely forever." 

"Ya, it's not like that." 

"Either ways, ever since she started coming and helping out. Business has been insane, all the guys keep asking about the new part-timer." Yoochan revealed. "What do you think? Do you think she'd accept if I offered her a job?" 

Dohyun, who was about to comment that she'd probably be disgusted by the very label of pc-bang part-timer decided to withhold it. What was the use of getting his Hyung's hopes up?

"Probably not, she's doesn't really need a job." 

"Exactly, so why is she here then?" Yoochan pointed out a question that did loom in his mind. 

"Anyways, I'm going to go collect the dishes and I'll be right back to clock out." 

Dohyun followed Minji's instructions, surprised she remembered the exact numbers of the empty PC-stations where only a pile of dirty dishes remained. 

When he was finished, he packed his backpack and headed out onto the street where he figured she was waiting for him. 

He realized then why Yoochan seemed to be beckoning for him to leave. 

She had indeed changed from her school uniform. 

It took a second for him to make sure that the girl staring at him wasn't waiting for someone else. 

"What's wrong?" She called innocently. 

Badump. Badump. 

Badump. Badump. 

Once again, just when he thought he was starting to get used to being around someone like her.

She pulled off something like this. 

A heist of the male heart.

This was what she was going to wear to study? Was this something you wore with to a cafe with your 'friend'? 

"The cafe. Where is it again?" He answered, doing his best to not sound like a total loser. 

"Just follow me. I already looked up directions." She revealed her phone with the maps app opened, still oblivious to why he was stupefied. 

They started walking along the busy sidewalk, as dusk was beginning to settle in. Soon these orange colored streets would morph into a dark grey. 

The various cliques of students heading to their academy replaced with corporate slave gatherings. 

Dohyun had never experienced either. 

"Hey don't you think it was nice of Yoochan ahjussi to let you get off work early?" 

Dohyun chuckled as he remembered the owner's enragement at the mere mention of the word ahjussi. 

"I don't think hyung would like it if you called him that."

"Ah really? What should I call him then? Sajangnim (owner/ceo)? jooin-nim (manager)?  Yoochan oppa?" Her head turned, gauging his response to her options. 

"Definitely not the last one." Dohyun decided not to accept the very one he wished he could be addressed with. 

Obviously his boss would prefer the last, way too much. 

Minji seemed to catch onto him, as she began to skip forward. "That's the one isn't it?" 

"That way I can really make some good connections in the business world." She spoke in a mocking capitalistic tone. 

As if a future idol needed one. 

"Yoo-chan op-ppa." The way she enunciated it in a coy voice, while tucking strands of hair behind her ear.  

The duality was insane, how just by pursing her lips and acting semi-coyly she could perfectly emulate the drama-like first love character of Suzy or IU. 

"You're dying inside aren't you." He accused, knowing full well, Song Minji wasn't capable of aegyeo. 

"UGGGH, I really hate it. God, I don't know how so many girls in this country can do that so easily." She remarked, as she slowed her pace to match his. 

When they arrived at the cafe, the two of them set their backpacks across from each other at a series of leather sofas with a low table between them. 

"What should I get this time? I don't really want a latte. Hmm." She began to ponder aloud as she stared up at the menu. 

"What's special about this cafe? You said the reviews were good." He inquired, his eyes glancing around at the odd amount of couples. 

"That's right, they said the banana macchiato is really good." 

"How about you sunbae?" 

"I'll probably just get a hot coffee." 

The disdainful expression she made when he said it, made him second guess whether he should reconsider. 

"Are you sure? At a nice cafe like this? When are you going to get the chance again? If you're going to spend money, shouldn't it be on a drink that you can't just make yourself?" 

Acknowledging her persistence and strangely logical argument, Dohyun broke out into a chuckle. 

"Fine, I'll get something else. What should I get?" 

"Hmm... I'm also craving an Einspanner too. I think that's what I'll get sunbae that way I can drink both.." She said it so convincingly, he almost didn't question her logic. 

At that moment, the couple in front of them finished ordering, leaving an open cashier at the center of the store. 

"Isn't that really sweet?" He protested as she turned to order. 

She was definitely grinning as she began to order, intentionally ignoring him. 

"Hey, I'll get my own drink." Dohyun attempted to stop her. 

"And a large einspanner for this guy." She doubled down. 

"Ya!" 

It took a second for him to realize just how loudly he had spoken. Weirder yet, the fact that he had forcefully grabbed her shoulder, rotating her to face him. 

"What?" She huffed as she gazed with a 'what are you going to do about it' kind of expression. 

With a defeated sigh he simply turned to go back to his seat. 

"Are you sure your boyfriend's ok with that?" 

The second he heard the cashier speak behind him, he felt his frustration dissipate. 

He intentionally quickened his pace to their backpacks, not wanting to hear her response. 

 

. .

"Mmmmm." 

Dohyun, who had finally finished his homework for the week, slowly lifted his gaze. 

Minji had somehow already absconded with both his and her drinks, and was now savoring a pastry she had gotten while they were studying. 

"Is it that good?" He chuckled towards her reaction. 

"Yeah. Why?" She questioned furrowing her eyebrows at him. 

"Don't you think your reaction towards food is a little... much."

He was immediately met with a frown. 

"If it's good why not expres

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter