Balut? Penoy?

Found Myself in Yu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Zero load, punctured tire, overheated engine, and no sight of any ATM machine.

 

Timing, huh? Winter’s thoughts talked.

 

She stared at her phone for a little while, receiving texts from her friends and parents nonstop.

 

RJ: hanap ka ni tita, huy!!!!

RJ: akala tuloy nag sisinungaling kami!

 

Seeunpoo: Winnie, are you okay? You can stay here sa condo ko. :( 

 

Gigidot: Hey, I hope you’re doing fine.

Gigidot: Where are you? Wanna spend the night off somewhere, my baby Mj?

 

She turned her phone off with the thought of it being useless. I mean, what’s really the point of receiving texts if there’s no other way you can return a message, right? 

 

But since the heavens cooperated with her a little, she saw her phone again lit up because of Ryujin’s calls. She was about to answer it quickly, not until her phone died in a matter of seconds. 

 

“Jesus Christ!” She punched the steering wheel, which accidentally injured her hand. “Ouch! God!” 

 

She looked around the place, yet no one was there. Not even a car passing, not even a person timingly walking by. The sky was pretty dim, making her lose her sight more when she’s inside the car. She stayed inside for too long, still hoping someone would pass by, but no, all she got was a cold atmosphere touching her— which is quite scary. 

 

The place is full of tall trees, birds chirping, and if without those, she would be deaf due to silence. At this point, she is now convinced that the universe really hates her. From having loud and toxic parents, to being alone, to being left alone in the middle of nowhere. 

 

She tried charging her phone through her car, but not even a spark of light appeared. Winter closed her eyes forcefully, before she felt her tummy boil. There she realized that— she hasn’t eaten anything yet since last night. 

 

She was hopeless, and was about to burst again into tears, not until a little voice appeared just in time. 

 

“Balut! Penoy!” 

 

A woman’s voice. Safely.

 

“Balut! Penoy! Chicharon!” 

 

Winter quickly went outside her car, after hearing an unfamiliar voice. There was no assurance of being safe, but since it sounded like a girl, she thanked the heavens at least that she left her car windows open. 

 

“Balut…” She whispered, copying the girl.

 

“Balut! Penoy! Chicharon!” 

 

“Balut!” Winter copied again, yet louder this time. “B-Balut! Penoy!” 

 

“Balut?” The voice of the girl appeared again.

 

“Y-yeah… Dito… Here! In the middle of two big trees…” She waited for the girl to appear, yet the voice disappeared. “Did she…” Winter sighed in defeat, before turning around in disappointment. She was about to enter her car, until a woman called her. 

 

“Balut? Balut, miss?! Bibili ho ba kayo?” 

 

Her eyes widened after hearing the voice, once again, as she turned around immediately. Seeing a tall girl, like five six or five eight she’d describe, holding a basket with a cloth on top of it, as the woman wears a jacket and shorts, looking great with her long legs.

 

“M-miss… Balut…”

 

The tall balut seller girl walked towards her, all smiley. 

 

“Opo, miss. Balut ho itong binebenta ko,” She put down the basket in front of Winter, whilst the other was still starstrucked. 

 

Winter stares at the girl like she saw a ghost. Or… she was just surprised at her beauty? She shook her head to remove her thoughts. She cleared before looking at the girl who’s kneeling in front of her, all smiley. 

 

Pretty… Winter’s thoughts voiced.

 

“Miss? Balut o Penoy ho?” Karina asked, waking the other up from her senses. “Meron din ho kaming chicharon—“

 

“Miss,” She cut her off. “Can I… Can I ask what place we are in?” She asked softly, scratching

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter