San Juan, La Union

Found Myself in Yu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Magandang araw sa aming mga bisita!" Karina greeted the crowd, as the people cheered, giving her the ear to ear smile she gets almost everyday. "Marami pong salamat sa walang tigil na pag-bisita sa aming munting kubo." She bowed her head along with her cousins, whilst the people admired her from inches away. "Sana inyong malaman po na bukas parati ang Kubo ng Juan para sa mga iba pang dadalo, at gustong dumalo kahit sa saglit na panahon lamang. Ulit, maraming salamat po!" 



They all waved to the people with their bare hands, as the three of them— Karina, Yeji, and Isa went back to their work, which was fixing their Lolo’s boat for fishing. They finalized it by putting thick rope on the edge, as Isa puts a little painting of flowers in front.

 

“Ayan, type ni Lolo ‘yung ganitong design!” She muttered, chuckling. 

 

“Eh, baka magalit? Wala na tayong pambili ng puting pang kulay,” Said Yeji, while she cleans the ropes.

 

“Ano ba? ‘Wag kayo mag alala. Mag titinda naman ako ng balut mamayang gabi sa tabing dagat, sigurado ‘yan, makakalimutan nila ang Maynila kapag natikman nila ‘tong luto ko,” Karina with all her confidence, making the three of them laugh. 

 

Karina is indeed a good one. Mabait, maganda, maalaga, praktikal, walang ka-arte arte, at higit sa lahat, totoo. She is a woman who loves life. Unlike Winter, Karina loves living. She wakes up for a lot of things, she's living for a lot of things, and it's the little things that make her happy. There is no day she did not smile, and there is no day she did not thank the heavens for letting her live.

Being with the people she loves is just her biggest reason to live. Even when she never experienced to get anything.

 

“Sus, pinakuluan mo lang naman ‘yan!” 

 

“Laitera,” She rolled her eyes after the three of them walked away from the boat. 

 

More of Karina, she sells balut at midnight, at nagbabantay naman sa Kubo ng Juan tuwing umaga. Ang kinikita nila ay napupunta sa pang gamot ng Lola nila, dahil matagal na siyang walang magulang. She stayed with her grandparents for more than a decade. Ever Since her parents died when the fishing boat they were using sank, her Lolo Kulas and Lola Ayna didn’t hesitate to raise her alone.

 

Luckily, her cousins live just on one roof with them, at least lessening the loneliness of her life. 

 

Now, with the help and love of her grandparents and angel parents, Karina grew up with full respect inside her body. Matalino, maganda, sobrang bait at punong puno ng pagmamahal. That’s how most of the people from their Bayan describe her. 

 

“Lo, ang ganda nung pagka-kulay namin sa bangka mo,” Isa voiced, cheerfully. 

 

“Oh siya, mga anak ko, magsi-kain muna kayo rito,” Their Lolo readied a banana leaf for them to have a boodle fight on. “Sariwang sariwa iyan, kabibingwit lamang ng tiyo ninyo,” 

 

“Si Tito Oyay po ba nakukuha nito? Malaman kasi,” Yeji laughed, as their Lolo pouted.

 

“Apo naman, parang sinabi mong hindi malaman mangisda si Itay?”

 

“Hindi po!” Yeji defended, with being full. “Ikaw ang paborito ko sa mga mangingisda rito, Lo!” Kumindat naman ito, bago tumawang muli. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter