• 7 •

Hotel EXO

It was a few days later that a packet arrived at the hotel.  Junmyeon took time to deliver each of your personalized thank you notes to its recipient.

For the final one, he searched the kitchen, but all he found were the sous chefs seated at a table with a large mound of dried anchovies in front of them.  Their chatter trickled to a halt when he joined them.

"Hey, guys.  Have you seen Chef?"

Taeil pointed towards the back.  "In there, sir."

Kyungsoo was taking inventory in the cooled, confined space.  He didn't acknowledge his friend's presence until he had to sidestep him to reach another shelf.

"Mail for you, Kyungsoo-ah."

"I hope it's a job offer from that chicken shack in the countryside."

"Ha ha, very funny.  You know... you haven't been yourself lately.  Is everything all right?"

"Never better," Kyungsoo said flatly.  "If you could just find a way to ban Chanyeol from my kitchen forever, life would be perfect.  I wouldn't even need a Michelin star."

Junmyeon tsked.  "Now, now... you'd miss him if he wasn't around.  I know I would.  He helps out so much.  Did I tell you that he even drove a guest home who needed a ride?  Mister Above And Beyond.  Used the Mercedes, I think.  The address is probably still in the GPS."

"What a saint," Kyungsoo uttered quietly.

An envelope was waved back and forth before landing on Kyungsoo's clipboard.  "Anyway, I'll get out of your hair before you bite my head off... I can see that you want to.  Hasta la pasta, chef."

Kyungsoo spent a few minutes staring at the blue rectangle lying harmlessly before him.  He decided to sneak out to the garden to read the contents within.  Back to the spot where the two of you had discovered one another in more than just the literal sense.

Upon opening the paper, a pressed sprig of rosemary tumbled out onto his lap.  He picked it up and inhaled the sharp pine scent, closing his eyes only to have an image of you smiling, happy, pop up in his mind.  Moving on, he took in the thoughts you had left for him.

"Dearest Chef Kyungsoo,

I'm having trouble finding the right words.  To say that nothing about this trip went as planned would be an understatement.  But that doesn't mean it was a bad thing.  Sometimes the nicest surprises are the ones that are least expected.

I'm not like Chanyeol and all your other friends.  Socializing doesn't come easily to me.  But with you, I was comfortable.  Talking with you... laughing with you.... hidden away in your little garden of Eden, I was actually happy.

No matter what follows, I hope you are able to find the same happiness you gave me.  The scent of rosemary will forever remind me of you from now on.

Thank you a million times over,
Y/N"

He folded the note, and placed it back in its envelope.  There were a few drops of moisture on his cheeks that he roughly brushed away.  One of Yixing's sprinklers must have sprung a leak somewhere.  Yeah, that was it.  He ought to have that checked out.  Later.