• 6 •

Hotel EXO

"Yeol!" Baekhyun's voice was frantic over the phone.  "It's 1204!  Y/N!!!  She's checking out early!"

"What?!"

"Hurry and get down here... she needs a driver to take her back home.  The bastard already left."

"I'll be right there!"

You weren't where he had expected to find you.  As Chanyeol pulled up to the front of the hotel, he saw you outside already, giving farewell hugs.

"Go back in.  And don't worry, I'll write you a sparkling review," you told Junmyeon, releasing him.  He chuckled, but Baekhyun smiled regretfully after letting you go.  "Thank you for everything."

You turned to the tall male, who was standing by with your bags in hand.  "Ready?  Let's go."

He made no objection when you slid into the seat beside him, instead of behind.  "Comfy?"

"I am if you are.  I hope this is okay.  I feel like I needed a friend for the ride back." 

His big, warm hand closed over yours for a moment.  "You've got one here.  Always."

"My visit was so short, Yeol," you murmured.  "Why is it so hard to leave?"

Any chat that took place on the way stayed light and tactful.  He dearly wanted to know what the future held, but he figured you wouldn't quite know yourself, so there was no point in upsetting you by asking.

When the car finally came to a stop outside your building, Chanyeol turned to face you.  His voice quivered.  "Look... I know we haven't known each other for very long.  And I know it's not my place to do this, but I have to ask... are you gonna be okay?"

This final act of kindness from him was almost more than you could bear.  "It's fine," you said, looking down at your hands twisted together.  "We're friends now, right?  I'll be okay eventually... I'm just not sure when."

He got out to help you with your bags one last time, and to claim a hug of his own.  The long arms encircling you squeezed tightly.  "Can I call to check on you from time to time?"

"Whenever you want.  Thank you for helping me make the best out of what could have been a really terrible situation," you choked out.  "You don't know what it means to me."

His journey back was a long and lonely one.


• • • • •


"Well, I liked her.  I liked her from the first moment she got here."  The tall boy was back in his customary spot in the kitchen, annoying the shorter chef, as usual.

"You like everybody.  You're no different than a big, dumb dog."

Jongin snorted iced tea out of his nose.

"Not true.  I didn't like that guy that showed up with her," Chanyeol pointed out.

"Who would?  What an ," said Jongdae.

"But I've been trying to figure out what it is about her that I liked in the first place..."

"You didn't burn out all of your brain cells doing that, did you?"

The two younger employees collapsed onto one another in laughter.  "Seriously, what are you guys even doing in here?!  Don't you have work to do??" Chanyeol complained.

"Nope.  We're on our lunch break," Sehun said with a wide smirk.

"Anyway... I'll let your attitude slide this time because I know you're in pain, Kyungsoo-yah.  You're lashing out.  You liked her too.  Admit it."

"Admit what?  I barely knew her.  She was just another guest who was here for a few days.  So what?"

"And in those few days, it became obvious to me that the two of you are exactly alike.  Soo, she caught my attention from the beginning because she reminded me of you so much.  You finally found someone you can totally relate to, and you let her go without saying a word.  I'd be y too if I were in your shoes."