• 5 •

Hotel EXO

You weren't sure what you were doing, hovering at the end of the deserted bar, but you couldn't seem to stop yourself.  The previous evening had ended so abruptly, with Kyungsoo all but pushing you and Chanyeol out of his kitchen.  Something about it felt off, and you wanted to see if everything was okay, so you decided to go to the source.

"Chef will be right out, miss," Taemin told you as he passed by with a load of clean barware.  You gave him a grateful smile.  After the bartender had put everything away and disappeared once more, you were startled by the sound of a clearing throat behind you.

"You needed something?" Kyungsoo asked, his tone giving nothing away.

"You."

The word was on the tip of your tongue, waiting for you to breathe life into it, possibly altering the course you were on into something infinitely more desirable than the future you were facing now.  But with uncertainty hanging heavy in the air, you chickened out.

"Ah, chef.  Yes... I..."  You swallowed, unsure of what direction to take now that he was in front of you.  He looked normal enough.  So why did things feel so awkward now?

"I know you're busy.  I don't want to keep you from your work.  I just wanted to see... or, um, ask you if everything was all right?"

"Yes.  Fine.  Thank you for inquiring.  Is there anything else?"

His terse manner knocked your spirits back.  "No," you conceded.  "I suppose not.  I... um... want to sincerely apologize for interrupting you.  But  I've gotta admit, this place is... really... something else.  Just... incredible.  I've never been anywhere like it.  There's so much food for thought..." 

You gave yourself a little shake, bringing you back from your reverie.  "Speaking of which, your food is truly top tier.  I'm honored to have had the opportunity to try the famous duck of the talented Chef Do Kyungsoo.  Thank you, sir."

Quick as a flash, you spun around and walked away from him.  But despite your best efforts, he had heard the break in your voice, and saw the lone tear that slipped down your cheek before you could push it away.