Chapter 3

Her Soldier
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun was lying on her bed, looking at that one particular contact she saved recently on her phone. 'Kang Seulgi' the name was written across the screen, and it made Joohyun smile softly. 

 

She liked to think that if they were in different circumstances, maybe they would be in a relationship. She really wanted to give it a try.

 

The brunette sighed deeply and stared up at the ceiling. 

 

'I wish I could just tell Seulgi my feelings.' 

 

She then proceeded to type out her message on her phone. 

 

 

[To : Kang Seulgi] 

'Hi Seulgi! It's Joohyun...'

 

 

Her fingers trembled slightly as she held the device for two whole minutes before pressing send.

 

She put her phone back down onto the mattress, letting out a deep breath once again. It felt as though a burden had been lifted off her shoulders. At least one thing went right for today. Maybe things would change now, after all. 

 

That hope was short lived as she picked up the device again. This time she didn't hesitate in sending another message. Her heart began to pound as she stared at the screen intensely. 

 

 

[To : Kang Seulgi] 

'Can we meet tomorrow?'

 

 

She wrote hastily. And after three minutes of agonizing anticipation; she hit send. 

 

A couple hours later Joohyun was still laying on her bed, waiting for something to happen.

It took another hour before her phone started to lit up. She jumped at the sudden sound of it and let out a relieved sigh.

 

 

[From : Kang Seulgi] 

'Hi Joohyun.. sure. Where should we meet?' 

 

 

The words appeared on the screen. It had taken awhile, but she got the courage to send the reply.

 

 

[To : Kang Seulgi] 

'How about the café near your place?' 

 

 

As she saw Seulgi's reply bubble up onto her screen, she smiled slightly. This felt like progress... a small step, but still a step in the right direction.

 

 

They decided on meeting outside at eight o'clock that night, since it wouldn't be too crowded around the café. Joohyun put her phone down, and closed her eyes. Now she could finally get some sleep.

 

 

 

 

--- 

 

 

 

 

Seulgi yawned while stretching her arms over her head, not quite feeling awake yet despite having slept well most of the night before. She'd have a long day ahead. She'd thought about her and Joohyun meeting soon, what their relationship might look like, how it would go.

 

Her thoughts were interrupted by her phone buzzing. She quickly checked who it was from, it was from her uncle. He sent the address of their office building, so she guessed she shouldn't keep him waiting.

 

 

[From : Uncle J] 

'I'll see you there!' he texted.  

 

 

Seulgi chuckled at the text, then typed a response to her uncle.

 

 

[To : Uncle J] 

'Okay! See you later!'

 

 

She placed her phone onto her bedside table and headed to the shower. After washing her body and hair thoroughly, she wrapped herself up in a towel, grabbed her clothes and slipped them on. Then she left her house to the office. 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

When Seulgi arrived in the lobby of their office building, she checked the address again wondered if her uncle gave the wrong address. She looked at the big board in front of the building, 'KH Group' was written in bold letters. 

 

The building was pretty big. The main floor consisted of offices, with an elevator on the other side that opened into a hallway where several people were walking towards the elevators.

The entire structure looked very modern. 

 

There was only one person standing aside from a security guard who was typing away at his computer. The man noticed Seulgi staring at him. He turned around towards the reception desk, where a woman stood with a coffee in her hand.

 

"You must be Kang Seulgi." 

 

She told Seulgi.

 

"Yes, I am??" 

 

Seulgi replied. 

 

"Mr J is expecting you." 

 

She informed Seulgi, pointing to the direction which led to the elevator and giving her the direction to her uncle office.

 

Seulgi thanked the receptionist, then slowly walked towards the door. Once she was inside the elevator, she looked at her surroundings curiously. There weren't many people in here, only a few businessmen.

 

Once they reached the top floor she walked out of the elevator and followed the signs pointing in various directions. 

 

A large sign next to a window indicated 'Management' which Seulgi presumed was her uncle's office. She walked in and there was a secretary table near the door. 

 

After a few steps, she found herself at the secretary. The latter was busy with some documents, unaware with Seulgi's presence in front of her.

 

Seulgi cleared . 

 

'Um...hi I'm Kang Seulgi.. I'm looking for Kang Jungwoo?"  

 

She tried to sound casual.

 

The secretary raised her gaze from the papers in her hands, surprised. 

 

"Unnie??!" 

 

She exclaimed.

 

"Sooyoung??!! What are you doing here?" 

 

Asked Seulgi, perplexed. 

 

"Uh..well...I work here..?" 

 

The younger girl responded sheepishly. 

 

She stood up from her chair and walked towards Seulgi. 

 

"Omg I can't believe it's you...I missed you. You looked different! A good different!" 

 

Sooyoung threw her arms around the brunettes shoulder.

 

Seulgi chuckled lightly as Sooyoung's action took her by surprise. They separated and she gave the brunette a warm smile.

 

"Wow..you're even prettier than when I last saw you."  

 

Seulgi complimented.

 

"Thanks!" 

 

said Sooyoung while flipping her hair.

 

Still the same. Seulgi chuckled looking at her old friend. 

 

"I heard you moved back here?"  

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

"Yeah.. I left the army for good."  

 

Sooyoung looked at Seulgi carefully. Seulgi shifted uncomfortably under her gaze. Why was everyone looking at her this way?

 

"Um.. have you seen her?"  

 

Sooyoung suddenly asked. 

 

"Joohyun..." 

 

"...yeah I've met Joohyun..."  

 

Seulgi trailed off. 

 

She knew that Sooyoung knew about her feelings on the older girl. She had told her about it before. So it wasn't surprising that the raven haired girl already knew.

 

Seulgi didn't know how much longer the conversation would take if Sooyoung just kept watching her without saying anything. Finally Sooyoung broke the silence. 

 

"..I know its not the right time now but I hope things will get better for you both.. A lot of things has changed since you left and she needed someone to trust. Give her a chance?" 

 

The raven haired girl said with softness in her voice.

 

Seulgi could only nod. It was so tempting to say yes, because even though their relationship is not as it once was, she still really liked Joohyun and maybe this would make them more comfortable around each other. 

 

Maybe Sooyoung's idea would work out. But what if it doesn't? What if they still don't work together or something else happens? 

 

Sooyoung seems to sense what Seulgi is thinking.

 

"Don't worry, it'll all be okay... I think you should give her another chance."  

 

Seulgi just nodded again.

 

"Well, as much as I'd love to stay and chat more, I have to meet my uncle now." 

 

Seulgi pointed towards the door.

 

"Your uncle?!! Mr. Jungwoo your uncle??!"

 

Sooyoung was shocked. 

 

"Uhmm..yea?" 

 

Seulgi smiled sheepishly. Sooyoung still standing frozen on her place, trying to register the words. 

 

"Sooyoung...?" 

 

Seulgi tapped the raven. 

 

"Ahh right! Well, hold on a minute, I'll inform your uncle that you're here." 

 

Sooyoung went back to seat and pressed the number on the intercom.

 

A moment later her uncle's voice came through the speaker. 

 

"Hello?"

 

"Mr. Jungwoo, Ms. Seulgi is here." Sooyoung announced.

 

"Send her in!" his deep voice responded. 

 

Sooyoung turned towards Seulgi and gestured for her to follow her. She walked to the door and knocked twice before opening it.

 

Sooyoung entered the room with Seulgi behind her. Her uncle's figure could be seen. His shoulders slumped with relief once he spotted Seulgi entering the room and seeing him waving at her. 

 

"Ahh thank you Sooyoung! You may go now." 

 

He spoke.

 

Sooyoung nodded, then the raven haired girl excused herself from the room and closed the door behind her leaving Seulgi and her uncle alone. 

He smiled faintly when she sat on the couch opposite the chair,

 

"Well I suppose I can start the session from where we stopped yesterday. Let's get down to business, shall we?" 

 

He started speaking. 

 

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

 

 

The two talked for almost half an hour and eventually made progress. Seulgi learned a lot, a lot more than when they started talking about the topic yesterday. She also understood that the cafe was not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter