Chapter 6

Her Soldier
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi woke up in the middle of the night , her breathing heavy and shallow. It was one of those days where sleep was just out of reach.  

 

She turned to look around at the darkness, wondering if maybe she was having a nightmare or something. Seulgi closed her eyes, but it didn't help. Her mind continued to go through everything that had happened since she returned home. 

 

After a little while of trying and failing to fall asleep again, Seulgi found herself getting up from bed. She couldn’t take lying in bed any longer. 

 

Seulgi walked into the kitchen, taking a glass from the cabinet next to the sink and filling it with water. She placed it on the counter and headed back into her room. 

 

Seulgi laid down on her bed, staring at the ceiling above her. She turned to her right, where her phone sat on the nightstand and a piece of paper next to the bed. 

 

Seulgi grabbed the paper, and looked at it for about a minute before deciding to called the number on it. The ringtone started, and Seulgi waited patiently until someone answered. 

 

"Hello?" 

 

A man's voice said.  

 

Seulgi cleared .

 

"Uh... Hi, Is this Kang Garam?"

 

A few seconds passed.

 

"Yes, it is," 

 

He replied. 

 

There was silence from the other end of the line.

 

"This call is not from here...May I know who is calling me?"

 

"Yeah, um..."  

 

Seulgi sighed. She tried not to sound as nervous as she felt. 

 

"It's me, Seulgi.." 

 

The person on the other end of the line didn't say anything, so she decided to keep talking.

 

"I...I know you're probably busy with work and all of that...But I really needed to talk to you about something.."  

 

Another moment went by before he responded.

 

"Seulgi.... You don't know how long I've been waiting for you...I thought that I was never going to hear your voice again ..." 

 

He sounded emotional now, his voice cracking ever so slightly.

 

Seulgi didn't reply. She took a shaky breath and held it for a second. 

 

He spoke again,

 

"How have you been doing? Are you well? I hope you're being good to yourself and taking care of yourself. Please tell me you are okay...."

 

Seulgi swallowed hard. It felt like she was going to choke on her words.

 

"Um... Yeah, I'm fine." 

 

There was a small pause again.

 

"Is there something wrong? Did something happen? Do you need me?" 

 

His voice became softer, more cautious.

 

"No..nothing happened but..yeah I actually kind of need your help.." 

 

Seulgi paused for another brief moment.

 

"Tell me what's going on. Whatever it is, I promise you that I'll do my best to help."

 

His tone sounded serious. Almost like a parent giving their child permission to play outside after school.

 

She let out a deep sigh.

 

"If I ask you to come back here, then do you think you can do that?"

 

Another short pause ensued.

 

"Of course I can, Seulgi."

 

Seulgi took a deep breath.

 

"Permanently.." 

 

Seulgi waited , anticipating a response.

 

"Okay...." 

 

He simply replied after a pause. 

 

"I just need to get some things sorted and then I'll be on my way."

 

"Wait..for real?" 

 

Seulgi asked, her eyebrows scrunched together. That was fast enough for her. She wasn't expecting a yes or no in return so that caught her off guard.

 

"Yes, for real." 

 

Seulgi heard him chuckle quietly over the phone.

 

"Look..You're my sister, and.. I don't say this a lot but I love you dearly. I don't have anyone else but you. I don't want to loose my sister after being away from you for years. It must be hard for you alone. So yes..for real, I will come back as soon as possible.."

 

Her heart swelled at his words and the way he said them. Seulgi's shoulders relaxed a bit. For all these years, she'd thought she would never see him again. But now that they were reunited, it felt different than she imagined. It felt right, somehow.

 

Seulgi smiled softly to herself.

 

"Thank you.."  

 

she whispered.

 

"I'm always there for you. I'm your brother." 

 

He added. 

 

"I will always be there for you."

 

They both said goodbye, and ended the call. Seulgi lay back down on the bed, her eyelids finally starting to feel heavier by the second.

 

 

 

 

 

.... 

 

 

 

 

 

Monday rolled around sooner than anyone could have expected. She got a message from her brother that he will be fly to Korea late Saturday afternoon. He promised to call as soon as he arrived.

 

Seulgi was in her office, reading some documents when someone knocked her office door.

 

“Come in” 

 

She yelled.

 

The door opened, revealing none other than her uncle. 

 

“Hi Uncle” 

 

She greeted.

 

Uncle Jungwoo waved a hand in response. 

 

“So…” 

 

His voice trailed off a little, leaving a question hanging between them. 

 

“There was a rumour about a fight at one of our bar..." 

 

Seulgi stopped reading her papers and glanced up at him. 

 

"...Do I need to worry?” 

 

Uncle Jungwoo asked carefully, placing his hands on the desk.

 

"So you heard it.." 

 

Seulgi sighed, looking down at her table. 

 

“Yes, I did. I also heard that one of the guys involved was Park Bogum, Mr. Park's son. O didn't know that you know him.” 

 

He told her, and Seulgi nodded in response.

 

"I don't actually know him. He bothered my friend so I just..."

 

Uncle Jungwoo sighed.

 

"Seulgi, I won't stop you from doing anything. It's your life..just be careful alright? You have a big role in this company. Try to keep your image clean?" 

 

Seulgi looked at her uncle and nodded.

 

"I'm sorry...I will be careful."

 

Her uncle smiled at her reassuringly, and patted her back.

 

"Ohh before I forgot," 

 

Uncle Jungwoo suddenly spoke up,  

 

"I came to give you this.”

 

He handed Seulgi a folder. 

 

“I saw a video from security camera they sent to me from that bar. You're a quite good fighter. Army made you strong, huh? They trained you well." 

 

Seulgi didn't expect Uncle Jungwoo to have seen the video. 

 

"Thanks..they trained us well" 

 

She replied, smiling shyly.

 

"Well, that's what I came for. Take your time to read the files. I think you're gonna love this one. Let me know what you decide."

 

He was already turning to leave Seulgi's office when he suddenly spoke up again.

 

"Your brother called me. Now you don't have to worry about the company anymore. He agreed to take on the company for you."

 

With that, Uncle Jungwoo left Seulgi's office.

 

Seulgi proceed to read the files and her uncle was right, she actually interested in it. It was definitely much more interesting than what she thought it'd be. 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter