Chapter III: ‘The Night Before’

teɪl ɒv ðə ˈdiːmən ˈhɪərəʊ

Previously on "Tale of the Demon Hero": Rai and the others defeated the 'Black Hound' using the boys' stinky shoes. Kazuki and Kenji were still stuck under the unconscious 'Black Hound'.

Main Building, Lobby...

"Are you alright Hikaru?" Rai said as she asked Hikaru, who suddenly lie down on the sofa in the Lobby.

"I'm just tired after that incident." Hikaru said as he tossed and turn while lying down on the sofa.

"Thanks to your stinky shoes we were to save the Academy." Rai said as she sat on the other end of the sofa.

"Technically, OUR stinky shoes saved the Academy. And because of that our classmates called us the 'Stinky Heroes'." Hikaru said as he grabbed the pillow and threw it on Rai.

"Well at least our plan worked and there are no other casualties besides those five decapitated bodies that were found on the staircase." Rai said as she grabbed the pillow and threw it back to Hikaru.

"I know it's just that I wish we had arrived on the Final floor, maybe we still had the chance to save them." Hikaru sadly said as he hugged and buried his face onto the pillow.

"You mean, YOU had the chance to save them. Do you seriously want to become an 'Imperial Hero'?" Rai said as she asked Hikaru who threw the pillow back to Rai again.

"Of course! I want to become an 'Imperial Hero' that this Kingdom need. I will become the epitome of bravery and awesomeness as I save the Kingdom to those 'Living Fiends'." Hikaru said as he suddenly got up and also sat on the sofa, beside Rai.

"I think that's not the characteristics of an 'Imperial Hero' and if you are going to become one, our Kingdom will be in a great disaster." Rai said as she threw the pillow back to Hikaru.

"How mean! I can also use different weapons other than swords. Then, what should be the characteristics of an 'Imperial Hero'?" Hikaru said as he put back the pillow on the other end of the sofa.

"Uh? An 'Imperial Hero' should be admired because of his selflessness." Rai said, making Hikaru blush.

"Selflessness huh? Now, I get it. Anyway, that's not the real reason why I wanted to become an 'Imperial Hero'." Hikaru said as he pinched Rai's right cheek.

"Then, what is your reason why you wanted to become an 'Imperial Hero'?" Rai said as she asked Hikaru.

"Well, it is because of YO-..." Hikaru said as he was about to give his response to her question, but he got interrupted by an Imperial Council member.

"Uh? Are you Rai Akimura and Hikaru Hashimoto?" Hiiro Matsuoka, one of the Council members said as he asked Rai and Hikaru.

"Yes. I am Rai Akimura, and he is Hikaru Hashimoto. You are?" Rai said as she asked Hiiro.

"I-I'm sorry, your highness. My friend is just tired hahaha..." Hikaru said as he suddenly grabbed the pillow and shoved it onto Rai's face.

"I understand. You had a long day, and I came in here to investigate what just happened today, but Mr. Principal asked me to deliver this package to Rai." Hiiro said as his maid placed the carton box on the glass table.

"Thank you, your highness. You didn't have to do that for this girl. Hey Rai, at least say something." Hikaru said as Rai finally shoved the pillow back onto Hikaru's face.

"Thank you, your highness?" Rai said as she picked up the package off the table and Hiiro chuckled, making her blush.

"I am glad to meet you Rai and Hikaru. Ah! I almost forgot. Congratulations Mr. Top 1 Hikaru." Hiiro said as he and his maid walked away.

"Uh? I don't understand, your highness. What are you talking about?" Hikaru said as he and Rai wondered why Hiiro said that.

"Check the announcement board on the Hallway." Hiiro said as he and his maid left the Lobby.

"Announcement Board?" Rai and Hikaru wondered as they looked at each other.

"Let's check it out!" Hikaru cheerfully said as he suddenly jumped off the sofa and ran away.

"Hikaru?! Hey! Wait up!" Rai said as she stood up and walked away, carefully carrying the carton box.

Main Building

Along the Hallway...

"Oh my, what do we have in here?" Kazuki said as he, Kenji and Mayumi arrived in the Hallway and saw some students gathering in front of the Announcement Board.

"Our stinky Heroes have arrived. Make way." Male student #1 said as they all laugh and welcomed Kazuki and the others.

"Ha-ha-ha very funny guys. What are you all looking at?" Mayumi said as she shoved the students away and looked at the Announcement Board.

"The Imperial Council posted the first presenters for the Final Field Training tomorrow. Look! Mayumi you are still on Rank#2." Female student #1 said as she pulled Mayumi towards and started shaking her.

"Rank#2. Huh?! Again? Who's in Rank #1?" Mayumi said as she yelled out and wondered who is in Rank #1.

"Here he is! Our Top Student, Hikaru!" Male student #2 said as he saw Hikaru and Rai running towards them.

"Hey! Everyone what are you doing in -?" Hikaru said as he and Rai stopped beside Kazuki and Kenji.

"Congratulations Hikaru!" Everyone said as they congratulated Hikaru and started tousling his hair.

"Uh? Thank you everyone." Hikaru cheerfully said as he looked to the Announcement Board and saw his name listed as the Top student of the Imperial Academy.

"Hikaru? I think I've heard that name before...You!" Mayumi said as she wondered, turned around and saw Hikaru being surrounded by their classmates.

"Alright! Thank you...You!" Hikaru said as he looked up and saw Mayumi, looking at him.

"Oh no, this is bad. Mayumi, let's go." Kenji said as he gently grabbed Mayumi's right arm.

"You! You're the one who broke my arrow! Be ready and I'll kick your tomorrow." Mayumi said as Kenji gently pulled her away.

"You! You? Yeah, be ready and I'll kick your tomorrow too. W-what?" Hikaru said as he blushed while their classmates start laughing.

"Mayumi and Hikaru sitting in the tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Female student #2 said as she teased Hikaru, making him blush.

"What!? We are not-..." Hikaru and Mayumi said as they both blushed, making Rai silently jealous on the other side.

"Uh? Sorry about that. I guess they really hate each other." Kazuki said as he looked at Rai and apologized.

"Don't worry. He is always like that, and I am happy for him." Rai sadly said as she looked down on the floor after seeing her rank.

"Rank#7 is not bad. Be proud of yourself." Kazuki said as he pats Rai's head, making her blush.

"Uh? Thank you. Huh?" Rai said, making Kazuki blush. Hikaru suddenly approached Kazuki and pushed him away from her.

"Stay away from her." Hikaru seriously said as Kazuki sighed and walked away.

"Big brother, where are you going?" Kenji said as he and Mayumi saw him walked away.

"Sorry! I have to go to my part time job. See you later." Kazuki said as he suddenly run away.

"Oh? Okay! Be careful big brother." Kenji said as Kazuki left the Hallway.

"I didn't know that he has a part time job." Mayumi said as she looked at Kenji.

"Ah! About that? Well, I just recently found out that he had a part time job. Uh?" Kenji said but Mayumi wasn't paying attention to him.

"You woman. Rank#2 not bad." Hikaru said as he called Mayumi and .

"Woman?! Excuse me, I have a name and remember this, you are going to lose tomorrow." Mayumi seriously said as she smirked.

"Oh? Is that a threat? I'll accept your challenge. Ms. Flat-chested." Hikaru said as he teased Mayumi.

"How dare you say that?! Look at Rai's chest." Kenji said as he tried to defend Mayumi, making her blush.

"Huh? Rai's chest is not – Uh? Oh my, yours is also flat." Hikaru said as he turned around and looked at Rai's chest, making her blush like a red tomato.

"See? Mayumi's chest is just perfect – Ow! Ouch! Why did you do that?"- Kenji said as Mayumi suddenly dragged him out of the crowd and walked away.

"Hey! Where are you going? We're not finishing comparing – Ow! Ouch! Hey! Rai, wait for me!" – Hikaru said as Rai intentionally stomped on his right foot and walked away from the crowd.

"Poor Hikaru. Anyway, you deserved that." Female student #3 said as the crowd laugh out.

That night

Boys' Dormitories,

Inside Kazuki and Kenji's room...

"Kenji...Kenji, wake up." Mayumi said as she slowly woke up beside Kenji on the right side of the bed, still wearing their academy uniforms on.

"Hm? Good morning." Kenji said as he yawned and kissed her forehead.

"You mean 'good evening'. It's already 9 PM. I should get up and prepare our dinner." Mayumi said as she looked at the clock placed on the nightstand and went out of the bed.

"I'm not hungry and you can do that later." Kenji said as he suddenly grabbed Mayumi's right arm and pulled her back onto the bed, facing him.

"You are not but I am hungry. So, let me go. Kenji? Is there something wrong?" Mayumi said as she asked Kenji who suddenly caresses her right cheek.

"It's just that – There's nothing to worry about." Kenji sadly said as he yawned and slowly fell asleep.

"Eh? Is that so? Let me guess, you are worried about Kazuki." Mayumi said as she suddenly pinched Kenji's right cheek.

"Ow – Ouch! Okay! Okay! You're right. Yes. I am worried about him. I really hate this feeling that he is keeping secrets from me...I mean from us." Kenji said as he buried his face onto to the pillow.

"Secrets, eh? Then, how about us? When are we going to tell him OUR secret?" Mayumi said as she asked Kenji.

"I already told him OUR secret, but he just laughed and left." Kenji said as he was forced to make a lie to convince Mayumi.

"Uh? Okay. That's pretty reassuring. I just thought he would understand but – Uh?" Mayumi sadly said as she lies down onto Kenji's chest as Kenji kissed her forehead again.

"That's alright. I am always here for you, no matter what happened." Kenji said as he slowly fell asleep, but Mayumi interrupted.

"But I am really hungry. Will you help me prepare our dinner for tonight?" Mayumi said as she pouts, making Kenji blush.

"Okay! Okay! I will help you prepare our dinner. Sheesh!" Kenji said as he removed the covers and went out of the bed.

"Thank you, Kenji! Let's go to the kitchen." Mayumi said as she also went out of the bed and run to the kitchen.

"Hey! Wait for me...I'm sorry for lying Mayumi." Kenji said as he whispered to himself.

"I almost forgot Kenji. Here." Mayumi said as she went back inside Kenji's room took something out of her bag and gave it to Kenji.

"Huh? A letter? "Kenji said as he received the letter and wondered who sent the letter to him.

"Hayami asked me to give you that letter. Eh? I wonder if that is a love letter or something else." Mayumi said as tried to hide her jealousy and examined the envelope.

"Someone is being jealous. Aww! That's cute." Kenji said as he pinched Mayumi's cheek, trying to .

"I am not jealous. I am hungry. Let's prepare our dinner." Mayumi said as she stomped her foot and went out Kenji's room.

"Hey! Mayumi wait up!... I will just read this letter later." Kenji said as he put down the letter on his study desk and went out of his room.

Girls' Dormitory

Inside Rai's room...

" 'And then, she died...The end?' Uh! This is wrong!" Rai said as she read the line and crumpled the 30th piece of paper she wasted and threw it on the trash bin beside her study desk.

" Eh? You are still writing your fiction story. That's nice." Hikaru said as he suddenly appeared in Rai's open balcony.

"Eh!? Hikaru!? How did you get up in here!? This is the 4th floor." Rai said as she was surprised to see Hikaru and went out to the balcony.

"I have my ways and here. Let's celebrate our success." Hikaru said as he placed a lunchbox on top of Rai's head.

"A lunchbox? Thank you but I already ate earlier and – What are you doing?!" Rai said as took the lunchbox and suddenly went back inside her room as she saw Hikaru reading her unrevised manuscript.

"Hm? This sentence is grammatically wrong and there are a lot of room for improvement." Hikaru said as he criticized Rai's manuscript and raised it up in the air as Rai put the lunchbox on her study desk and attempted to get her manuscript back.

"Hey! Give it back. I-I am not finish writing it yet. Damn it! Why are you so tall?" Rai shyly said as she was trying to reach for her manuscript.

"Here… So, what happened to the female protagonist?" Hikaru said as he placed the manuscript onto Rai's head and asked her.

"Ow! Uh? The female protagonist wishes to save and send everyone back to their homeland and then... I don't know yet!" Rai said as she panicked and grabbed the manuscript off her head.

"Then, let's first eat so that you can think properly. And page 17 needs a serious editing." Hikaru said as he grabbed the lunchbox off the study table, placed it on the wooden table and sat on the floor

"Editing? I know and I'm on it." Rai said as she carelessly placed the manuscript on her bed and also sat down on the floor, across Hikaru on the wooden table.

"Uh? You still didn't open it." Hikaru said as he opened the lunchbox, noticed the carton box placed on top of the wooden table and grabbed it.

"I didn't. I will open it later and let's eat... Hey! What are you doing?" Rai said as she noticed Hikaru took out his pocketknife and cut the seal off the box.

"Let's see what inside this box...Huh? Feathers?" Hikaru said as he opened the box and took out a bunch of black and white feathers.

"Hey! Hikaru, please put it back inside the box." Rai shyly said as she suddenly panicked and tried to reach Hikaru across the table, but it is useless.

"Okay. Sheesh! Uh? There are three small, glass bottles of ink?" Hikaru said as he put the feathers back inside the box and took out a glass bottle of black ink.

"Hikaru please be careful. You might split the ink on the table and just put everything back in the box." Rai said as she panicked and tried to reach Hikaru across the table, but it is useless.

"Ha! It is useless. You cannot reach me using those short arms." Hikaru said as he put the glass bottle back inside the box, closed it and gave it to Rai.

"I know! But at least I tried... Thank you." Rai said as she grabbed the box and placed it beside her.

"Your parents still support you in your story writing. That's nice." Hikaru said as he picked up the chopsticks and started eating.

"Uh? Well, I am glad to have supportive parents like them. Although, it is really impossible for me to create a unique story, they still encouraged me to continue writing it." Rai said as she also picked up the chopsticks and started eating.

"Eh? All stories are unique no matter how you write or narrate it. But yours has a lot of grammatical errors so -... Hey! Are you listening to me? " Hikaru said as he noticed that Rai was not paying attention to what he is saying.

"Look! There is a letter for you." Rai said as she picked up the box, opened it and saw a white envelope hidden under the glass bottles of ink. Rai took it and gave it to Hikaru.

"A letter? For me? Huh? That's strange. This letter came from my family." Hikaru said as he placed down the chopsticks, opened and read the letter.

"So, what does it say?" Rai said as she wondered and asked Hikaru.

"Well, the letter says, 'How are you, my adorable son? I hope you are doing just fine, and I wish you best for your Final Field Training tomorrow. Sadly, we cannot come to attend your event but Papa, Mama, Akari and Mikan always loves you. – Mama. P.S. Be a man and confess your feelings to Ra-...Huh!? From: Papa, Akari and Mikan.' What?!" Hikaru said as he read the content of the letter, suddenly yelled out and started blushing.

"Confess your feelings to whom Hikaru? What happened? Why did you stop reading? " Rai said as she asked Hikaru.

"Ah! It's nothing! I will personally deal this matter with Mikan when we come back home." Hikaru said as he cursed under his breath, grabbed the chopsticks and start eating again.

"Uh? Okay. See! Your parents still love you. Although, they are busy they still found the time to send you that letter." Rai said as she tried to cheer up Hikaru.

"Yeah. I know. I was hoping that they would come tomorrow and watch me defeat that annoying woman." Hikaru said as he put the letter back inside the white envelope.

"Annoying woman? Oh? You mean Mayumi." Rai said as Hikaru got annoyed hearing that name and looked away.

"By the way, I forgot to tell you that page 20 needs some editing too." Hikaru said as he took the broccoli and ate it.

"I know! I know! Let's just eat first." Rai shyly said as she also took the carrot and ate it, making Hikaru chuckle.

In the Matsuoka's Rest House

Inside the Living room...

"Harue is still crying inside her room." Yuki Matsuoka, the second son of the Matsuoka Family, said as he arrived inside the Living room and saw his elder brother Hiiro reading a book on the sofa.

"She got traumatized from what happened to her this afternoon. She and Emi was kidnapped and locked down inside the 'Abandoned Room' by their psychotic classmates who were found decapitated along the stairway. A 'Black Hound' was found in the hallway along with six students who defeated it using their stinky shoes." Hiiro said as he sensed something looking at them outside the window in the Living room.

"Oh? That's why you suddenly left this afternoon. Eh? Hahaha! Stinky shoes? That's weird at the same time pretty amazing." Yuki said as he laughs out loud.

"Don't worry. She will stop crying soon. I just hope that she will be okay before their Final Field Training start tomorrow." Hiiro said as he closed the book.

"She is one of the top students of the Imperial Academy! We should be celebrating but I wonder why she is crying." Yuki said as he wonders and sat on the sofa beside his elder brother.

"I am not crying. Idiot." Harue said as she suddenly appeared inside the living room, still wearing her academy uniform, carrying her white pillow and accompanied by the family maid.

"Harue?! You should probably go back to your room and get some rest." Yuki said as he and Hiiro was surprised to see Harue.

"No! I am going to sleep in here." Harue said as she disobeyed Yuki, sat and eventually lie down on the sofa, hugging her white pillow.

"Harue stop being so stubborn and go back to your room." Yuki said but Harue ignored her and threw her pillow to Yuki's face.

"Alright! You can sleep in here. Yuki, could you please get us some tea and snacks. - Ow!" Hiiro said as he asked Yuki who threw Harue's pillow onto his face.

"Okay, elder brother. I will be back." Yuki said as he went out of the Living room.

"It's not fair. Why would they kill my pet? He just did his job protecting me from those bullies." Harue said as she cried and grabbed the throw pillow on the sofa and use it to cover her face.

"Harue. I understand how you feel but your pet decapitated five students of the Academy. Based on the initial investigation those students decided to stop and kill before it massacres everyone in the Academy." Hiiro said as Harue just looked at him and cried again.

"Sir Hiiro, we have company. One of the butlers saw them sneaking in the front yard." The family maid said as she reported to Hiiro.

"Company? What does she mean big brother?" Harue said as suddenly got up from the sofa and wondered.

"Okay. I will personally deal with them. Harue, you stay in here and wait for Yuki to come back." Hiiro said as he gave the book and the pillow to Harue and pats her head.

"Okay big brother. I will stay in here." Harue said as Hiiro kissed her forehead and went out of the Living room with the family maid.

"I wonder what is happening." Harue said as she hugged the pillow and slowly fell asleep on the other end of the sofa.

Few minutes later...

"I'm back. Here's your tea and snacks – Eh? Harue?" Yuki said as he went back inside the Living room and placed the silver tray on the glass table and then someone knocked on the door.

"Sir Yuki, I brought Miss Harue's clothes and blanket." The butler said as he went inside the Living room.

"Come in. I told you to go back in your room, but you stayed in here and fell asleep." Yuki said as he playfully pokes Harue's right cheek.

"Sir Yuki, where I should I put Miss Harue's – Huh?" The butler said as he asked Yuki as the lights suddenly turned off.

"Uh?! A blackout? I wonder what happened." Yuki said as he wonders as he and the butler heard a loud explosion outside their Rest house.

"Stay in here with Harue. I will just check what is happening outside." Yuki said as he ordered the butler and ran out of the Living room, carrying along his medieval sword.

"Yes, Sir Yuki! Please be careful." The butler said as he worried and stood behind the sofa where Harue's sleeping.

Outside the Matsuoka's Rest House

In the Front yard...

10 minutes earlier

"Where are they?" Hiiro said as he and the family maid arrived in the Front yard, followed by two Imperial Soldiers.

"Here he is Master Hiiro. We manage to catch one of them while running in the Front yard." The first guard said as he presented a young man who was tied up and wearing a red mask.

"Eh? I see. Continue finding the second Red Assassin and bring him to me alive." Hiiro said as he ordered the two Imperial Soldiers and family maid.

"As you wish Master Hiiro." The two Imperial Soldiers and the family maid said as they immediately left the Front yard.

"Red Assassin? Tell me are you one of the Red Assassins?" The guard said as he asked the young man who just ignored him.

"Perhaps he will answer mine. Why did you come in here?" Hiiro said as he approached and asked the young man who suddenly spit on his right foot.

"Ha! As if I would tell you why." The young man, named Niko, said as he laughed, making the guard angry and almost punched him but Hiiro suddenly interfered.

"Stop it. The Council and I will handle this. Please go back to your station." Hiiro said as he ordered the guard.

"As you wish Master Hiiro." The guard said and then left the Front yard.

"Let me ask you again. Why did you come in here?" Hiiro seriously said as he asked the young man and then draw his medieval long sword out from its scabbard.

"If you kill me, you will never find out why we are here." The young man said as Hiiro cursed under his breath and put his sword back into its scabbard.

"Then tell me why are did you come in here!" Hiiro said as he got pissed off and kicked the young man off the lawn.

"W-we are here to steal the 'Book of Prophecies' which we believed you also have stolen from the Queen's Archives." Niko said as he coughed after he got hit on the tree.

"The 'Book of Prophecies'? How did you know about that?! Answer me!" Hiiro said as he was surprised from what he just heard and again kicked Niko.

The 'Book of Prophecies' is a collection of written prophecies assumed to destroy Alementalia and the second unknown world beyond the Kingdom. One of the most popular and alarming prophecy written in the book is the "Great Collision of the Two Worlds."

"Listen, you are not the only one who interested with the book especially on that specific prophecy and if it was fulfilled, anyone can be the Imperial Ruler of Alementalia." Niko said as he smirked, trying to untie himself.

"You are wrong. I kept the book so that everyone can be safe. If someone fulfilled the prophecy, the entire Kingdom of Alementalia will be destroyed." Hiiro said as he explained but Niko just stared at him.

"You Sir are terrible liar. You stole the book so that YOU can fulfill the prophecy and rule – Uh?!" Niko said as he and Hiiro heard a loud gun shot. Niko suddenly lost his consciousness, fell on the ground and blood covered the green grasses.

"Big brother! Are you alright?" Yuki said as he finally found and run towards Hiiro while carrying his sniper gun and saw the dead Red Assassin lying down under the tree.

"Yuki? Thank you. You saved me. He was about to stab me when we heard that gun shot." Hiiro said as he got afraid and hugged Yuki.

"Of course. I am always here to help your big brother. A Red Assassin? Don't tell me-?" Yuki said as he gently pushed Hiiro away from him.

"Yes. That man came in here to steal the 'Book of Prophecies' and use it on their own selfish ways." Hiiro said they both looked at the dead man under the tree.

"Again!? Why is it they cannot understand your noble cause? Before he got exiled, the former Imperial Prince asked you to keep the book safe so that the Prophecy will not come true or else we are all going to die." Yuki angrily said as he stomped his right foot.

"I know. But the Red Assassins will never stop until they get hold of the book. So, I want you to help the others to find the second Red Assassin who still at lose around the Rest House." Hiiro said as he asked Yuki who nodded and ran away.

"Hm? What will I do to you? Ah! I know. You can come out now." Hiiro said as he saw two 'Black Hounds' walked out from the shadows.

'You summoned us.

Master Hiiro'

One of the Black Hounds said as it asked Hiiro who smirked.

"Take this corpse away." Hiiro said as he ordered the two Black Hounds. The two 'Black Hounds' walked towards the corpse, used their mouths to pull it up, took it back in the shadows and disappeared.

"Done. Now I should really get back inside the Rest House and help the others – Huh?! Harue!" Hiiro said as he heard another load explosion coming from the Living room and saw someone jumped out of the glass window and run away.

Back in the Living room...

"Miss Harue you should be sleeping inside your bedroom not in the living room." The first butler said as he sighed while Harue toss and turn over as she sleeps in the sofa.

"You should get out of here – Uh!?" The second butler said as he suddenly slammed the door open but slowly fell on the floor as he got hit by a medieval knife on his nape.

"A Red Assassin?! Who are you? Stay away from Miss Harue." The first butler said as he drew out his pocketknife and stood behind the sofa where Harue was sleeping.

The second Red Assassin slowly walked inside the Living room while enduring his injured left arm.

"Listen, I-I need to get out of here." The second Red Assassin said as he run around the Living room, trying to find an exit door.

"No! You are not getting out of here alive. Master Hiiro and Yuki will come and save us – Uh?!" The second butler said as the Red Assassin suddenly threw his last medieval knife that hit the butler's chest. The butler lost his consciousness and fell on the floor.

"Damn it! That Yuki hit me with his bullet and now my entire left arm is paralyzed. I have to get out of here." The Red assassin said as he was trying to devise a plan to get out of the Matsuoka Rest House.

"Uh? I fell asleep. I wonder what time it is. W-who are you?!" Harue said as she slowly woke up, get up on the sofa and saw this Red Assassin maliciously wandering inside the Living room.

"Shhh! be quiet or else I will stab you with these." The Red Assassin said as he drew out and threatened Harue using his pocketknife.

"O-okay!" Harue said as she trembles in fear, grabbed her pillow and used it cover her face.

"Don't you dare move an inch or else I will shoot your right arm." Yuki said as he and the others arrived inside the Living room and aimed his riffle gun to the Red Assassin.

"Yuki! What is going on?" Harue said as she was happy to see Yuki who just ignored her question.

"Tch! You finally caught me. Not bad." The Red Assassin said as he dropped the pocketknife on the floor.

"Everyone protect Harue, and I will handle this. Hurry!" Yuki said as he walked towards the Red Assassin while the others ran to the sofa where Harue was sleeping.

"Sorry! But I think I already found my way out of here." The Red Assassin said as he took out his grenade, pull the pin off and threw it on the brown carpet near on the sofa where everyone and Harue was located.

"A grenade?! Everyone takes cover." Yuki said as he suddenly dropped his riffle gun, ran and grabbed the grenade. The Red Assassin jumped out the glass window and then escaped.

"Yuki No!" Harue said as she tried to stop Yuki and suddenly closed her eyes as the family maid hugged her. The grenade exploded inside the Living room. Smoke and white powder filled in the air as Hiiro came back inside the Living room.

"Yuki? Harue? Everyone? Where are you?" Hiiro said as he was trying to call out Yuki and the others as the Living room was covered with smoke and stumbled upon a corpse lying down on the floor.

"We are here big brother." Harue said as the smoke slowly clears up and the lights .

"Harue?! Are you alright? Where is Yuki?" Hiiro said as he asked Harue who suddenly jumped off the sofa and run towards him.

"Yuki is -... He sacrificed his live to save us." Harue said as she starts crying onto her brother's arms.

"I'm sorry. This is my entire fault. If I have just arrived on time, probably we can still save him." Hiiro sadly said as he hugged Harue.

"Uhh...I am here, Harue." Yuki said as he regains his consciousness while lying down on the floor a few meters away from the broken glass table.

"Yuki!" Hiiro and Harue said as they are happy to hear Yuki's voice. The family maid and Harue run towards him and check if he is alright.

"Yuki is alive. Thank goodness! Please don't do that again." Harue cheerfully said as she cried and hugged Yuki.

"Ow! Yes. I am still alive. I AM ALIVE?! What was just happened?" Yuki said as he wondered and pat Harue's head.

"This is a fake grenade. Just like the real ones, it will explode when you pull the pin off, but this was filled with white powder. He used this to threaten you and escape through that window." Hiiro said as the smoke finally cleared up and looked at the broken windowpanes.

"That's a relief. When I saw the grenade fell on the floor, I immediately thought of saving everyone and grabbed it. I'm sorry for making you worry Harue." Yuki said as he gently rises up and apologized to Harue.

"It's alright. Thank you for protecting us." Harue said as she also rises up and wiped off her tears.

"Alright! You two should head back to your rooms and clean yourselves. I and the others will start cleaning the Living room before father and mother arrives a few hours from now." Hiiro said as he helped Harue and Yuki to get off the floor.

"Okay! Good night big brother." Yuki and Harue said as they hugged Hiiro and ran out of the Living room.

Few meters away from the Matsuoka Family's Rest House

Inside a narrow alley...

"Damn it! That's why I hate guns." The Red Assassin who got escaped said as he stopped from walking, sat down on the ground leaning his back on the wall.

"There he is! Kazuki, are you alright?" Another Red Assassin came inside the narrow alley and found Kazuki.

"Oh? The newbie is here to save me." Kazuki said as he looked at Akihiko who run towards him and grabbed his left arm.

"Your left arm is paralyzed! We should immediately head back to the – Huh?! What are you doing?" Akihiko said as he saw Kazuki drew out his pocketknife and used it to take out the small bullet out of his injured left arm.

Kazuki successfully took the bullet out of his left arm and Akihiko immediately tied up his wound using his handkerchief.

"Are you okay? Where is Niko?" Akihiko said as he sat beside Kazuki and asked him.

"Niko is dead. That Yuki shot him in his chest, and I saw two 'Black Hounds' took his corpse away." Kazuki sadly said as he remembered what happened earlier.

"And where's the book?" Akihiko said as he looked up in the night sky.

"We failed to retrieve the book. The mission was unsuccessful. Sorry." Kazuki said as he flinched because of the pain coming from his injured left arm.

"Okay. I understand. You can go home now." Akihiko said as he stood up and pats Kazuki's head.

"Wait! What? You cannot just report that back to our Leader alone. I will come with you- Huh?" Kazuki said as he also stood up, but Akihiko suddenly pushed him away.

"Go home. We still have our Final Field Training tomorrow. And Kenji's probably worried about you." Akihiko said as he walked away and went back to their Hideout.

"Damn it!" Kazuki said as he cursed under his breath and walked out of the alley.

Back to the Boys' Dormitories

Inside Kazuki and Kenji's room...

"It's already 12MN. Big brother is really late. I wonder where he went." Kenji said as he looked at the clock, striking at exactly 12MN and got worried for Kazuki.

"I'm back. Uh?!" Kazuki said as he opened the door and went inside their room.

"Welcome back, big brother!" Kenji cheerfully said as he ran to the front door and hugged Kazuki."

"Kenji?! You are still up? I told you not to wait for me. Ouch-..." Kazuki said he suddenly flinched because of pain as Kenji hugged him.

"Of course! I have to wait for you. Anyway, would you like to take a bath or -" Kenji said as he smiled and asked Kazuki.

"Uh? I would like to – Nah! I will go to sleep." Kazuki said as he removed his rubber sneakers and Kenji helped him took off his brown coat.

"No! I bet you are hungry. Let's go! I will reheat your dinner in the kitchen." Kenji said as he playfully pushed Kazuki going to the kitchen.

"Kenji, listen. I am really tired, and I would like to sleep. I hope you understand." Kazuki said as he pats Kenji's head and walked away.

"-_- No! YOU are going to eat. Come with me." Kenji said as he insisted and continued pushing Kazuki.

"Kenji?... Sheesh! Alright!" Kazuki said as he blushed and went to the dining room along with Kenji.

Inside the dining room....

"Sit here. I will just reheat your food." Kenji said as Kazuki sat on the chair and run to the kitchen to reheat Kazuki's food.

"Hey! Do you need any help?" Kazuki said as he asked Kenji.

"No! I'm fine. It seems you had very bad day." Kenji said as he noticed Kazuki frown and sighed.

"Well, yeah. It's been a long night." Kazuki sadly said as he stretched up his arms and yawned.

"I see. So, where have you been all day?" Kenji said as he started serving Kazuki's dinner on the table.

"Uh...What is this?" Kazuki said as he wondered and picked up a white envelope hidden under Kenji's notebook placed on the top of the dining table.

"No!!! Please do not open that." Kenji said as he turned around and saw Kazuki trying to open the white envelope. He panicked and immediately ran towards him and swiped away the white envelope off Kazuki's hand.

"Eh? My bad. I didn't mean to steal your love letter." Kazuki said as he pouted, picked the chopsticks and start eating.

"This is not a love letter. Sheesh!" Kenji said as he blushed and sat across Kazuki on the table.

"Hmm? It looks suspicious though." Kazuki said as he suspiciously looked at Kenji looked away.

"A-Anyway, a package was left outside our room this morning. It came from our parents." Kenji said as he nervously grabbed his things and hides it under the table.

"Eh? I wonder what's inside that package. Did you already open it?" Kazuki said as he asked Kenji.

"Yes. And I cannot believe that you asked our parents to deliver here your weird magazines." Kenji said as he was disappointed to Kazuki who suddenly blushed and choked.

"Huh?! No! I-I didn't ask for those - What?" Kazuki said as he denies but Kenji ignored him and took out a small piece of paper out of his journal.

"You cannot fool me. Mother left a note inside box. The note says that Mother couldn't find all of your weird magazines under your bed back in your room – Ow! Why did you do that?!" Kenji said as he was interrupted by Kazuki who got embarrassed and suddenly kicked his right leg under the table.

"Don't blame me. YOU also wanted to read those weird magazines. Ow! Why did you do that?!" Kazuki said as he was interrupted by Kenji who got really embarrassed and suddenly kicked his left leg under the table.

"You are the ONE who wanted to read those not me. Honestly..." Kenji said as crossed his arms and looked away.

"Anyway, are they trying to recruit you? I mean that blue colored, circular wax seal is the symbol of the 'Blue Mafias' Association." Kazuki said seriously as he asked Kenji who got surprised and immediately took out and put the white envelope on the table.

"E-Eh!? So that's where this came from. Now I understand." Kenji said as he sighed in relief.

"Uh? You didn't know where that letter came from. Kenji, tell me-..." Kazuki said as he wondered and then put down his chopsticks on the table.

"Then, how did big brother know whose symbol is this?" Kenji said as he wondered and asked Kazuki.

"U-uh?! Well, they did send me a letter before, but I declined their offer. Hahaha! That was a long time ago." Kazuki said as he got finish eating and starts to fix the dishes.

"Uh? Okay. I was up waiting for you to come back so that I can tell you about this. Recently, I've been receiving letters from that 'Association' and I really don't know if I would – Huh?!" Kenji said as Kazuki stood up, approached him and pats his head.

"You are a dreamer Kenji. With your amazing gun and violin skills, you can go everywhere and do anything. Do not waste your time thinking that you should join in that Association." Kazuki seriously said as walked away and brought the plates on the kitchen sink.

"O-okay! I will get rid of this letter immediately. Please don't tell our parents about this or else they will be -" Kenji cheerfully said as he ran out of the dining room.

"Don't worry! I won't. So, go to sleep. Uh?" Kazuki said as Kenji stood up and helped him wash the dishes.

"I will help you." Kenji said as he opened the water faucet and start scrubbing the dishes, making Kazuki smile beside him.

==============================================================================

TO BE CONTINUED