Chapter 3

The Beautiful Sunset
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He can tell it's morning because he can feel it.
However, he found it difficult to open his eyelids.

Something suddenly flashed into his head. Was he grasping someone's hand? Who was he?
He opened it gently, and he felt a little disoriented in the room.

When he attempted to sit up, a throbbing pain in his head alerted him to the injury on his forehead.

A jolt of panic flashed through him, making his breath hitch—wasn't he fleeing his homeland? From all those who have harmed him? - What happened to him?

 

He managed to sit up on his bed, and his eyes slowly went down to his hand. The tattoo was now covered with a cloth.

Yeah, he really became a slave; it wasn't a dream.

Tears slowly formed in his eyes, thinking of how fast his life had turned upside down. What was his fault?

He tried to remember his last memory. He was about to enter Pyeong-on when he felt his energy fully drained. So, is he now in Pyeong-on?

The young man looked around the room, and he couldn't sense any danger around him. He is sure that he wasn't caught. If he did, he wouldn't be kept in such a neat and clean room with all his wounds perfectly treated. So, did the villagers save him?

Then, as the door to his room was being opened, he stopped thinking and concentrated on the new faces.

Two young males entered the space with cheery grins. They weren't paying attention to the individual lying on the bed since they were talking, or more accurately bickering, with each other.

"Kyungie, I swear I'm not going to bother you in any way and I'm not going to smash the dishes like I did last time. So would you kindly let me into the kitchen?
Because he was aware that Minseok wouldn't stop asking questions once he was inside the kitchen, they would go on indefinitely, and Kyungsoo wouldn't be able to concentrate, he simply ignored his brother-in-law's trembling and persistent requests.

And these promises are something he hears almost every single time he tries some new recipes.

"No, Minnie,"
Kyungsoo said, and he then noticed the steady glance over them from the other side of the room.

He looked straight and saw that the young man, who had been unconscious for the last three days, had finally woken up.
Kyungsoo remained still for a moment; he could sense that the stranger was kind of emitting fear from him. And he can understand the situation he is in. He might be confused about where he is and if they are going to hurt him too.

So he slightly nudged Minseok, who hadn't yet seen the woken man and was trying to convince Kyungsoo to let him in the kitchen.

Minseok stopped as he saw Kyungsoo's serious face, and he also saw the young man looking at them. But unlike Kyungsoo, Minseok didn't wait and went directly to the unknown man with a huge relief reflecting on his face.

"God, you are awake?"
Minseok reached the young man's side and looked all over his body to see if he was moving every part. Because Younghwa did mention his legs being badly injured and broken, they might have to do physiotherapy after the wounds are fully healed.

The man just blinked at him, and despite the fact that he didn't know the two, he didn't feel threatened by them.
"Are you in any pain?" "Should I call Mama?"

"Minnie, he doesn't even know who our mama is."
As he put some water into a glass for the young man to sip, Kyungsoo said.

"Oh, sorry, I meant the physician who treated you."
Minseok clarified, his face flushed with shyness.

That brought a small smile to the young man's face, and he tried to talk back, but the dry throat stopped him. It was painful.

But Kyungsoo was quick to offer him the water in his hand, and he took it with his weak hand with a great full look.

"Please drink slowly," Kyungsoo said.

"Minnie, ask the maid outside to go and inform Mama about him waking up."

Minseok left the room, and the young man silently watched him go out, but that instantly made him worry again.

Kyungsoo was able to sense the change in his expression. " Don't worry. You are safe here."

He turned to look at Kyungsoo, slightly surprised.
"Where am I exactly? Did someone from Seongyon come searching for me?"
His face reflected fear, and his eyes had a pleading look as if asking them not to hand him over.

Kyungsoo smiled as an assurance that everything was fine. Some people from Seongyon did come and search the western village full of this man, but since Chanyeol and his men had given orders to everyone to say that no one came there, they left. I don't know when they will be back, though.

"Don't worry. Until you have fully recovered, you can stay here. This is a small house built for treating injured people, set up by Pyeong-on's main physician.

It's close to her house, and she is also the lord's wife.

Also, we may not know your full story, but I promise you that we won't allow Seongyon people to take you."

He was speechless for a moment. Did he hear it right? Was he really treated by Younghwa, the famous physician? Though she is from Pyeong-on, she is famous for her miracle hands in many other lands too. And in Seongyon, many prefer to get treated by her for serious illnesses.

He has always wanted to be a doctor since he was a child, and he aspires to be like Younghwa. But fate had different ideas for him.

Kyungsoo ignored the man's lack of response and took the empty glass from his grasp, placing it on the side table.

"Please rest; I'll have the maid bring you some food." "Do you have any questions?"

He wanted to ask a lot of questions, but he hesitated since he didn't want to annoy anyone.

He is also grateful to them for safeguarding him and providing all kinds of assistance.

And he is not that surprised by their hospitality either, because Pyeongon is known for their goodness and kindness towards everyone.

"Go on; you don't have to worry about anything."
Kyungsoo said that and waited patiently.

"Did the famous physician Younghwa treat me?"
The man can't even hide that hint of excitement; after all, he didn't meet her for a good reason.

Kyungsoo slightly nodded, clueless about the excitement the man radiated.

And then he smiled genuinely after a long time.

"Then, are you and the other guy her sons, since you called her mama?

Kyungsoo began to nod but then stopped and shook his head.
"We are her son-in-law. Anything else"


He then gestured no, and then suddenly he remembered those strong hands that he had dreamed of before.

"Wait,"

"I am sorry for bothering you again, but I had a dream of someone holding my hand. Did something like that happen while I was getting treated?

I just want to know whether that was just a dream or actually happened."

Kyungsoo was not sure of it at first, but then he remembered Chanyeol holding his hand when he went into s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter