Stars

Polaris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: It's 3:00am when I finished this. I published this right away because I might forget it. I just wrote this while I'm busy the whole day. :)) I hope you would like the story. Will edit my layout later. And sorry for all the mistakes. 

------

 

The night had just started. Colorful lights enveloped the whole dark and smoky club. Bodies started grinding together on the dance floor. Booze were getting served at the bar area, making the bartender move fast to accommodate all the customers. Some patrons were sitting in their own booth with cigar clipped between their fingers. 

 

In between the sea of people piling up the popular bar, Woohyun was there with his friends. It was still a school day and there he was, partying and clubbing like he didn’t have a class scheduled at the moment. It was a miracle how he could pass his course despite being a wayward student. He had been like that since middle school. He only studied for the sake of it and to please his parents who were one of the most influential people in Korea. 

 

His parents were politicians and he was known to be their ‘out of control son’. He couldn’t count on his fingers how many times he was caught by reporters getting into trouble. According to them, he was a total opposite of his brother. His younger brother was the epitome of a good and responsible Korean citizen; someone his parents were proud of. However, no matter how much trouble he was bringing to his family, they just let him be. They just allowed him to do what he wanted as long as he would finish school. Thus, his life became that way. He never really minded if he was tarnishing his parents’ reputation. They already gave up on grooming him the way they wanted him to be.

 

Woohyun’s life revolved around parties, club, getting drunk, one-night stands and school which he often neglected. It was the life he was so accustomed to. Being in a company of his friends who he knew were really bad influences, he didn’t care. As long as his parents would get off his back. He hated being tied down in an uptight family. He never wanted his moves to be always watched. If he could stray away from his parents’ shackles, he would. Because, he didn’t really want to be associated with them. Yes. He would always be grateful for giving him life but he wasn’t happy with them. 

 

Ever since he was young, his parents started to raise him the way they were raised. However, as time passed by, they realized he was different. Stubborness was innate in him. He rebel. He never listened. Often times, he snuck out their house and go to his grandparents’ house to hide. He could still remember how his mother argued with his nana because she was confronted on how rigid his parents were to him.

 

“Jiyoon, Woohyun is still a child. You and your husband should let him enjoy his childhood while teaching and grooming him. We raised you properly but we never let you be deprived of being a kid. What you and your husband is doing with your son isn’t right. You can raise him like you without him being robbed of things that he could only experience when young.”

 

”Mom. you are the one tolerating him to be stubborn.” His mother counter argued. 

 

That scene got embedded in his mind. And from then on, his young mind realized that no matter what he do, his parents would never change. 

 

He was right. They never stopped being strict which he detested down to his core. 

 

Woohyun started defying his parents more when his younger brother was starting to be trained the way he was. He thought it was his ticket to be free of those handcuffs that were binding him. It wasn’t nice to leave his younger brother deal with his parents’ rigidity but when they saw that his brother had more potential to follow them the way they wanted, the shackles loosened and they let him do whatever he liked. Thus, his life still had no specific direction until now.

 

 

Woohyun walked to the dance floor with a woman in tow and started dancing with sultry moves. The woman he was with held him like a leech his neck and collarbones. They were practically making-out on the dance floor. Soon enough, they were inside the club’s vip room engaged in a hot, steamy . It was his life. His lowly pathetic life. 

 

 

The next day, Woohyun woke up just in time for him to go to the university. He’s on his final year studying Physics & Astronomy. He had always been fascinated about stars and space and it was something his parents didn’t want him to pursue. But instead of being dictated to take up Political Science, he enrolled in the course he wanted. Of course, his parents threw a tantrum over it. But with his grandparents on his side, they caved in.

 

Woohyun took his time in getting ready. He never cared if he would be late or not. All he was interested in was his major subjects and not the general subjects. 

 

As he walked through the eerie coridor, he could hear muffled voices of the professors in each and every room discussing their lectures. When he reached his own, there was an unfamiliar face inside. That definitely wasn’t his professor in Stellar Astronomy.

 

The professor looked at him. “Yes, may I help you?”

 

”I’m in this class. Sorry for being late.” It was the first time he apologized for being late and he didn’t know why.

 

”Ok. You may take your seat.” He walked to the vacant seat beside Dongwoo who was one of his closest decent friend.

 

He was informed that the one teaching was indeed a new professor and was replacing the old Mr. Lee. 

 

Woohyun looked at their teacher. He was definitely young. Maybe older than him by a year or two. His voice captivated him. It was a well-modulated voice, sweet, soft and music in his ears. He stared at him more, more than he used to ogling some of his y teachers in minor subjects.

 

Professor Kim, as what Dongwoo told him, had the prettiest small eyes he had ever seen. It was small but as you looked into it, it was as expressive as those doe-eyes other peope had. The v-shaped structure of his face that was framing his delicate features was akin to those of idols who spent their time perfecting their physiognomy. Even as far as he was from the front platform where the professor was standing, he could see how unfair it was that his face was faultless and void of any blemishes. 

 

The professor’s eyes suddenly met his and he could see a slight red tint spread on his cheeks. Beautiful. It was the first time he thought of someone as beautiful. Even his flings and one-night stands, he never thought of them as good looking.

 

”Who here could tell me what Polaris is?” Without thinking Woohyun raised his hand which shocked Dongwoo.

 

”What’s your name?”

 

”Nam Woohyun.”

 

”Ok, Mr. Nam, can you please tell me your answer.”

 

”Polaris or northern star. It is the brightest stars among the constellations and it is visible to eyes. It doesn’t rise and it doesn’t set. It was never moving.”

 

He knew well about Polaris. His grandfather was the one who taught him all about that star and the myths surrounding it.

 

”Good.” Professor Kim checked his watch and dismissed them after giving them a homework about the concept of constellations.

 

Woohyun remained on his chair while watching his classmates dispersed from the classroom. It was his vacant period, thus he really had nowhere to go. When the classroom was empty and it was only him and the professor who were left, he approached him and tried starting a conversation. Again, something he didn’t know why he was doing. 

 

There was this pull inside him that was drawing him to the said professor. He couldn’t fathom where that pull came from but he just found himself mesmerized suddenly.

 

”Is there anything I could help you with, Mr. Nam?” His professor smiled at him though there was a curiosity in his face.

 

His confidence was suddenly overflowing in him. “I just want to ask for your name sir. And sorry for being late.”

 

“It’s fine, just do come early the next time. My name is Kim Sunggyu and I’m two years older than all of you I think. I know you’re curious because I look young to be a teacher.” The teacher answered all his follow-up questions unknowingly.

 

He saw him gathering his things and started to walk towards the door. Woohyun followed him and continued asking him questions. The professor was kind enough to answer him. 

 

Obliviously, Woohyun was showing much interest on the professor. 

 

———

 

Months passed quick and Woohyun became too comfortable with Sunggyu. Their personalities jived and they became friends over being in a professor-student relationship. Woohyun didn't realize that he never got late in any of his classes. He had never been into a bar or club for almost two months. Getting flings and one-night pleasure stopped. Most of the time, he was talking to his professor over the phone or online about astronomy or anything under the sun. 

 

Woohyun clearly enjoyed his friendship with Sunggyu. They never went out. It was still unethical in the eyes of people if a professor went out with one of his students, even a friendly one. Moreover, Woohyun never invited his professor out. Their comfortable friendship was only seen inside the campus. 

 

Soon, Woohyun began to have a change of heart. As days went by, little by little, he got smitten. In his twenty two years of existence, no one made his heart raced the way it did whenever he saw Sunggyu smiling. Listening to his professor’s voice made the butterflies in his stomach fly in different directions. There was a jittery feeling whenever they chat inside the classroom, with him sitting on one of the chairs in front of the teacher’s desk. He was completely enamoured by him; absolutely heart to throat in love with his stellar astonomy professor.

 

However, even he couldn’t hold back the fluttering feelings inside him, he had to take it slow. Sunggyu was still his teacher and any romantic relationship between them would result to a bad outcome. Thus, he tried his best hiding it though it was really difficult; because Kim Sunggyu was one hell of an amazing person. He couldn’t help but fall and wear his heart on his sleeves.

 

——-

 

Four months…

 

Five months…

 

Six months…

 

Another three months passed. Woohyun knew Sunggyu for 6 months and their relationship stayed in a platonic level. However, Woohyun couldn’t hold it anymore. He had to tell him how he was feeling because it was consuming him inside. The love he felt for his professor was overflowing, overwhelming and unending. He tried to suppress, to hold back, to ignore but, all were futile. He was irrevocably, passionately and ardently in love with Kim Sunggyu. 

 

So, one day, he mustered up a courage to ask him out which he supposed, the professor thought was a friendly get together.

 

Woohyun was lying on his couch with his phone on his ears. ”I’ll pick you up tomorrow. It’s Sunday and we don’t have school.” 

 

“Why? Where are we going? People from school might see us and think we’re on a date.”

 

He puffed some air and said, “We’re not going to a crowded place prof. Don’t worry. And we’ll go at dusk.”

 

In the end, Sunggyu gave in to his invitation. He brought him to a clearing, a vast land owned by his grandparents. It was beautifully landscaped and there was a part where they could climb up to see the the lighted Seoul buildings and highways. 

 

“It’s beautiful here. Whose place is this?” Sunggyu asked him still awestruck on the sight.

 

Woohyun was also staring, not on what was in front

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter